On TRT for 5 months too late?

DTS1904

Hey New here, I've been on TRT for 5 months and initially when I went into to the clinic I wanted to get tested for LOW T. I was tested and my testosterone was 278.

So LOW T I had but now that I think about it I would like to know the problem that created my LOW T and whether I had hypogonadism and whether It is primary or secondary.

Is it too late to find out now since my testosterone is currently at optimal levels? in the high 900's.

I went to a clinic that specializes in LOW T so I was never actually diagnosed with Hypogonadism by my primary doctor.

Im looking to get hired within a certain company and they only allow the use of TRT if you are medically diagnosed with hypo.

any input would help thanks

Welcome to the site! What are your stats? age when you where diagnosed and started TRT etc.

Have you tried calling the clinic and asking? They should definitely still have your records and you should have access to a Dr. at the clinic.

Hey New here, I've been on TRT for 5 months and initially when I went into to the clinic I wanted to get tested for LOW T. I was tested and my testosterone was 278.

So LOW T I had but now that I think about it I would like to know the problem that created my LOW T and whether I had hypogonadism and whether It is primary or secondary.

Is it too late to find out now since my testosterone is currently at optimal levels? in the high 900's.

I went to a clinic that specializes in LOW T so I was never actually diagnosed with Hypogonadism by my primary doctor.

Im looking to get hired within a certain company and they only allow the use of TRT if you are medically diagnosed with hypo.

any input would help thanks

Dude, you are on a prescription for testosterone. The only way that script is going to hold water is if it indeed says hypogonadal hypogonadism. It does not have to state primary or secondary, nor will your employer care.

Just get a copy of your script and have the prescribing doctor's information handy. That's as far as you need to go in this case.

However, if you want to know for your benefit, you'll have to stop everything for a month and MAYBE you'll know for certain - otherwise, you'll have to wait longer and see if your pituitary ever turns back on.

(short answer is yes, it's too late - but doable if you have enough diligence)

Your initial blood work should tell you if you are primary or secondary. It really does not matter in the long run. For me I'm pretty anal and wanted to be sure there was no underlying problem. I went to two endocrinologists and my primary, had a bone scan, pituitary mri, etc. Had allot of work to find out a whole lot of nothing, but that's a good thing. The only one to have any clue about trt so far has been the trt clinic.

Your initial blood work should tell you if you are primary or secondary. It really does not matter in the long run. For me I'm pretty anal and wanted to be sure there was no underlying problem. I went to two endocrinologists and my primary, had a bone scan, pituitary mri, etc. Had allot of work to find out a whole lot of nothing, but that's a good thing. The only one to have any clue about trt so far has been the trt clinic.

Many docs don't pull LH and FSH before prescribing TRT. So unfortunately, it's up to the patient to learn more about testing BEFORE starting treatment.

Almost in an ironic cosmic joke, many of us don't learn about this until AFTER we start TRT, meaning a baseline test and hoping to see if we're one or the other.

Ultimately though, you're totally right - it doesn't really matter as long as exogenous testosterone is on the menu. Gets a bit tricky with AI monotherapy or SERM treatment though. :)

Many docs don't pull LH and FSH before prescribing TRT. So unfortunately, it's up to the patient to learn more about testing BEFORE starting treatment.

Almost in an ironic cosmic joke, many of us don't learn about this until AFTER we start TRT, meaning a baseline test and hoping to see if we're one or the other.

Ultimately though, you're totally right - it doesn't really matter as long as exogenous testosterone is on the menu. Gets a bit tricky with AI monotherapy or SERM treatment though. :)

He said he went to an TRT clinic - shouldn't they have that info? I know when I went through IMT they ran mine...then again I guess there's a lot folks practicing medicine that aren't necessarily qualified to do so. You're well respected and been around for a while, wondering if you've seen instances with bad TRT clinics like most horror stories with Primay care docs, urologists, endos, etc.

Get back to us OP.

I'M 32 years old, 6 FT tall, When I started in February-2016 I weighed 268 lbs

Im currently 248 lbs now

I'm on 180mgs aweek

250 ius HCG ( which just got bumped up to 500 ius)

Anti estrogen pill

I take the shot, pill and hcg on mondays

and take another HCG shot on Thursdays.

I just took some blood work ill post the results.

Yeah in my initial test I don't think they pulled LH OR FSH.

Here is my current bloodwork as of Yesterday: Bold are my numbers and the other numbers are their suggested ranges.

COMPLETE BLOOD COUNT
WHITE BLOOD CELL 7.6 3.9 - 11.1 K/ul
RED BLOOD CELL 6.08 H 4.2 - 6.0 M/ul
HEMOGLOBIN 17.7 13.2 - 18.0 g/dl
HEMATOCRIT 57.5 H 38.5 - 54.0 %
MCV 94 80.0 - 100.0 fl
MCH 29.1 26.0 - 34.0 pg
MCHC 30.8 L 31.0 - 37.0 g/dl
RDW 16.1 H 11.0 - 15.5 %
PLATELET COUNT 247 140 - 400 k/ul
MPV 9.9 7.5 - 11.6 fl

TUMOR MARKERS

PSA, TOTAL 1.190 0.0 - 4.0 ng/ml

ENDOCRINE EVALUATION

ESTRADIOL (E2) <5.00 L 7.6 - 42.6 pg/ml
TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL 949 280 - 1100 ng/dl

So the ultimate way to treat primry or secondary is just with testosterone?. After being on it for 5 months I just started to wonder well what actually is causing this issue and if there's something else I should be looKing to have checked vs just using covering up the issue of low T with MORE T.

Just ask your Doctor for a letter of necessity. Thats what you need. Should have no issues.

Your script wont say your diagnosis.

He said he went to an TRT clinic - shouldn't they have that info? I know when I went through IMT they ran mine...then again I guess there's a lot folks practicing medicine that aren't necessarily qualified to do so. You're well respected and been around for a while, wondering if you've seen instances with bad TRT clinics like most horror stories with Primay care docs, urologists, endos, etc.
Unfortunately, even with private clinics they don't necessarily check pituitary hormones. IMT just has their shit together. ;)

So the ultimate way to treat primry or secondary is just with testosterone?. After being on it for 5 months I just started to wonder well what actually is causing this issue and if there's something else I should be looKing to have checked vs just using covering up the issue of low T with MORE T.

Primary = trauma to the testes, deformation of the testes, genetic anomaly, or a cell issue in the testes.

Secondary = EVERYTHING else.

Most guys are secondary, and the cause isn't always found. The on my really scary cause that comes to mind is a tumor of the pituitary, which an MRI can find. Sadly, if you are primary, being on TRT also makes you secondary - which is why it can be difficult to know which you are if you already start treatment.

The best treatment is exogenous testosterone, although some cases of secondary can be reversed through SERM treatment. However, the longer you're on TRT, the less likely any reversal can happen.

My .02c :)

Back