Please critique my MID-LIFE PLAN

Hawkman44

Hawkman's Mid-life Plan

Profile:
32 years old
225 lbs
17% BF
5’10

I have been working out since I was 14 years old. Despite lifting weights 5 days a week, lack of cardio and poor eating habits have put an extra 15 lbs of FAT on my frame over the past 4 years. I am married with two kids and until about 6 months ago I used that as my excuse to eat like crap and not to train as hard as I should. I was diagnosed with low Testosterone levels about two months ago and was recently prescribed TRT.

At 19 yrs old, when I was in the Marines, I was 200lbs and 7% BF… all natural. I don’t expect to get back like that, but I would love to get down to 12% BF and keep most of the muscle I have now.

Cycle:
200mg of Test-C every 4th Day
10mg of Nolva ED
.25 of Letro ED
I have Clomid and HCG for PCT
(All doctor prescribed)

Daily routine:

9:00 am – ECA Stack & water

9:15 am – 1 hour on Treadmill (approx 70% of max)

11:00 am – 1 cup of Oatmeal / 3 egg white / cup of coffee / Water / Flax

12:30 pm – Protein shake (2-scoops of Whey Protein with ½ cup of low sugar OJ & ½ cup of water and ½ banana and 2 frozen strawberries.) B-12 vitamin.

1:00-2:30 pm – weight workout (drink lots of water during)

2:45 pm – Protein shake (2-scoops of Whey Protein with ½ cup of skim milk & ½ cup of water and ½ banana and 2 frozen strawberries…will add Dextrose.) Multi-vitamin.

3:30 pm – Chicken breast or lean steak or salmon steak with small sweet potato or brown rice. (Once or twice a week I sub this meal with a large Tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat bread with mini carrots)

Mid day snack – 20 plain almonds

7:00 pm – Chicken breast or lean steak or salmon steak with small sweet potato or brown rice with green veggies. (Sometimes I will add a romaine salad with Italian dressing)

9:00 pm - 1 cup of fat free/low carb frozen yogurt or hand full of almonds with lots of water and flax.

* I drink at least 1 gallon of water per day.
* I eat a cheat meal on Monday night; usually pizza and wings or pasta with turkey sauce and garlic bread.
* I drink a glass of Red Wine with dinner 3-times a week(mon/tues/wed)

I have been on this routine for two weeks and I’m already starting to see definition in abs and cuts in upper body and legs. I am not weighing myself, I want to go by the mirror for the first month or so, and then I will hit the scale and get the body fat re-measured.

I would love any and all comments about this plan. I’m not a kid so don’t worry about hurting my feelings. I am very good at taking advice and would really love some from the vets and gurus here on this board.

Thanks so much,
Hawkman

Don't have any advice for you about your diet, but wanted to say Semper Fi. Good to see another Devil Dog on the boards.

OORAH

Semper Fi "Do Or Die" Bro!

As they say..... you never have to fear when another devil dog is near.

0331 - M-Gunner (GRUNT).....your MOS?

What have your experiences been eating lower carb? Although I don't know that I would change things mid-cycle...just trying to get some info flowing...

0341/0321 first mortarman/reconnaissance. Was working on my cat B MOS 8652 and 8653 for my wings and bubble, but got orders and went to Kosovo. Ended up blowing my knee out for the 2nd time and they sent me packing. I was with the 2nd MarDiv 2d Recon Bat, Camp Lejeune.

When were you in and where were you stationed?

Semper Fi

u know ur stuff, i would up the water if u want to drop more weight, personal opinion, i got my father drinking 1.5 gallons of water daily, no working out,and he lost about 10 pounds from that, lol, what people dont know

I tried the NO carb thing for about 3-weeks and lost some weight, but it just wasn't worth it. I felt like finding something to eat on that diet was the biggest battle.

I'm trying to work out a plan that I can continue for hopefully the rest of my life. Once I get to where I want to be, I will add different foods to my Plan (I hate that word DIET).

I will try and up the water to 1 and1/2 gallons and see what happens. I already feel like I'm running to the bathroom every 5-minutes, but I'll do it.

Does anyone have any opinions on the amount of protein or fat in the plan? I'm trying to eat EFA but it's hard to keep the carbs seperate from the fats and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hawkman44 said:
I tried the NO carb thing for about 3-weeks and lost some weight, but it just wasn't worth it. I felt like finding something to eat on that diet was the biggest battle.

I'm trying to work out a plan that I can continue for hopefully the rest of my life. Once I get to where I want to be, I will add different foods to my Plan (I hate that word DIET).

I will try and up the water to 1 and1/2 gallons and see what happens. I already feel like I'm running to the bathroom every 5-minutes, but I'll do it.

Does anyone have any opinions on the amount of protein or fat in the plan? I'm trying to eat EFA but it's hard to keep the carbs seperate from the fats and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, low carb doesn't mean NO carb. There's a big difference between eating meat and veggies most of the day then eating some stuff with carbs after workouts and not ever eating any carbs.

And example might be breakfast:
4 eggs
6g fish oil
Some sort of veggie

Lunch
8 oz ground beef
6g fish oil
Assorted green veggies ("spring mix" with a pinch of baking soda)

Workout (then PWO drink)

Dinner soon after working out
8 oz steak
6g fish oil
1 yam
Assorted veggies

Then for a bedtime snack you could have some some meat or cheese.

This is just an example of what I mean.

A diet like this allows for lots of foods and is quite healthy. You can increase the carbs during the day if your energy suffers, but make sure they're good carbs.

Just make sure you include foods with lots of nutrients: egg yolks, oysters and other shellfish, liver and other organ meats, raw cheeses from grassfed cows, cod liver oil, veggies, sea veggies, bone broths, SOAKED nuts and seeds in small amounts, molasses after workouts...and I'm sure there is more i'm forgetting, but that will help.

Hawkman44 said:
Hawkman's Mid-life Plan

Profile:
32 years old
225 lbs
17% BF
5’10

lol, mid life at 32? now thats stark gear realism, youre saving up your testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) supplies and cycling?

MID-LIFE doesn't mean I'm going to die at 64 (hopefully not). It means it's the point in my life where I start heading back up the mountain rather than continuing to slide down it.

Plus my normal testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is a 200 mg shot every week.... but my doctor (who a very good friend) and I have boosted it to every 4th day to help me out a liitle bit.

Frosty... I shouldn't have said NO carb.... I tried atkins and the first few weeks they want you to go almost no carb and it killed me.

I do like the low-carb diet outline you offered, but I don't know if it's something for me. I got a lot of muscle mass that I want to keep, plus I love carbs! I know I'm making excuses but I am honestly affraid of low carb (I don't know if I could do it without going crazy, lol)

Frosty do you follow a low carb diet all the time or only when getting ready for a show?

I think I could do it for a while..... lose some weight.... but when I start eating carbs I think I would gain it back.

Last edited:
Hawkman44 said:

Frosty... I shouldn't have said NO carb.... I tried atkins and the first few weeks they want you to go almost no carb and it killed me.

I do like the low-carb diet outline you offered, but I don't know if it's something for me. I got a lot of muscle mass that I want to keep, plus I love carbs! I know I'm making excuses but I am honestly affraid of low carb (I don't know if I could do it without going crazy, lol)

Frosty do you follow a low carb diet all the time or only when getting ready for a show?

Depends on how you react to lower carb. I personally do best on lower carb at all times. I don't do shows, but I can bulk eating lower carb...less than 200g a day when eating 4500 calories or more a day. It's just my body prefers to use fat for fuel instead of carbs. You may be the opposite, but it's hard to say unless you've tried both.

Personally, I think it's ideal to be eating the minimum amount of carbs you need to achieve your goal properly. For example, if you're bulking, you could do great on 200g a day, so it wouldn't make sense to eat 400g a day cause you might just get fat. Or say you're dieting and you could do great on 80g a day of carbs, so why would you drop the carbs to 20g and have your workouts and recovery suffer?

I just think it's good for people to experiment and find what works best for them.

You're right man. That's why i'm here.... to get some ideas.... and hopefully one of them will workout.... or one will make my diet work better.

I am going to lower my carbs a little bit. I am dropping the morning oatmeal and eating a protein shake with flax instead.

I am also going to cut the brown rice/sweet potatoe out of one my later meals and turn it into a pro/fat meal as well. We'll see if the results come a little faster with less carbs and more EFA's.

By the way Frosty, do you eat a lot of fats in your low carb diet? What type of fats do you recomend? I eat Flax oil, Salmon, Almonds and Natty Peanut butter right now. Are these the best sources for someone trying to cut?

Thanks for the info.

Hawkman44 said:
You're right man. That's why i'm here.... to get some ideas.... and hopefully one of them will workout.... or one will make my diet work better.

I am going to lower my carbs a little bit. I am dropping the morning oatmeal and eating a protein shake with flax instead.

I am also going to cut the brown rice/sweet potatoe out of one my later meals and turn it into a pro/fat meal as well. We'll see if the results come a little faster with less carbs and more EFA's.

By the way Frosty, do you eat a lot of fats in your low carb diet? What type of fats do you recomend? I eat Flax oil, Salmon, Almonds and Natty Peanut butter right now. Are these the best sources for someone trying to cut?

Thanks for the info.

In my opinion, you need animal fats. I think most fats in the diet should come from animal sources, such as beef, eggs, milk, etc. I supplement with fish oil to get omega-3s. Flax doesn't have the omega-3 fats that the body needs, so it requires conversion. Peanut butter is high in omega-6 fats, so I don't use it and wouldn't recommend it to people in anything other than very moderate amounts.

Back