Preventing Hernia?

I just read this on a website: So based on the info below, does that mean that I need to do abdominals to strengthen? (I dont see anything about doing abs)

http://www.herniasolutions.com/bgdisplay.jhtml?itemname=resources_faq#2

Can heavy lifting cause a hernia?

You may have heard that hernias are caused by heavy lifting. That's really just a myth. While heavy lifting and other strenuous activities can aggravate a hernia, they don't really cause them. The reality is that most hernias are the result of a weakness in a muscle that exists long before a hernia even appears. Many hernias are actually present at birth. Other factors, including advancing age, injury and surgical incisions can help weaken muscles too.

It means you should probably get it fixed or it will probably eventually get worse.

A belt might keep it from getting worse i dunno. If you want to wear it all the time when you are at the gym.

I have a hernia in my groin at the moment. I carried on lifting and now it is bigger and slightly painful. I have decided to stop training until i have had it fixed and i am recovered from the operation. Really not pleased but nothing else i can do about it.

Are you planning on having an op or are you waiting until its bigger/ painful?

just get it fixed. worst case scenario....your intestine pushes thru, gets pinched shut, you die.

A belt will have literally zero effect. Actually it could probably make it worse, as wearing a belt kind of encourages you to push out/brace your abs more.

Back