Problem - Nalgene Bottle Top Filter

osamaelias

Hey brothers,

Been using the "Nalgene MF75 Bottle Top Filter" for a 45mm neck, i used a hybex glass media bottle with a 45mm neck.

Round 1: I first used around 7-9 psi, it blew a giant hole in the filter paper. Everything went into the glass media bottle. I thought maybe the oil was too hot and it caused a hole.

Round 2: Let the oil cool for 3 hours, then used 7-9 psi, it cracked the filter on the outside, everything started dripping, nearly lost half a litre of test-prop.

Round 3: used 3-4 psi, oil solution is cooled, it filtered half way and it wouldnt do anymore. The psi was still 3-4, but it wouldnt cause a vacuum and cause suction.

Help please?

The answer to number 3 sounds like the mixture was to cold and not mixed well. I had the same problem last time. It started to filter but stopped half way. when I looked at it I could see the filter was covered with the test E wax and wasnt allowing it to filter. I redid everything and made sure it was well heated (melted) and made sure it was warmer than my last batch and everything filtered very fast. This could also be the problem your having with #2. If the filter is clogged, the pressure will cause the plastic to crack. Dont know about problem #1.
The only other thing I will add is the first filter I used was a Nalgene, thats the one that got clogged because I think it wasnt warm enough. My secound was a Miller and it worked like a champ.

I've had problems filtering through nalgene filters as well using hand pump. It just doesn't filter oil. I wonder what the issue was?

Back