protein digestion question interesting

two-phase

hello guys. Do you have any idea on this. How much protein can be digested by your body in a serving. Just say i have 150gram protin shakes twice a day. Morning and night. Will i absorb all 300gram or will some be shitted out? My mate said you can only absorb 30gram in each sitting every 3 hours apart. Whats your thoughts on this. Your help is much appeciated

you can absorb more than 30 grams it might not be absorbed instantantly but it doesn't just disappear... but on the other hand you cant absorb an infinite amount of protein but it hard to say where the limit is as it is very individual.

bigger meals take longer to digest and assimilate. if you eat 30g of protein it gets digested faster than if you ate 60g. it doesnt disappear or pass through you undigested.

yes but what about the two shakes as i cant be bothered with four of five shakes. Is there any way to work out how much you can absorb?

i dont see any problem with it other than your getting the majority of your protein from shakes, which isnt a big deal, but jesus dont you want to actually eat any of your calories?

I read something recently that said eating saturated fats along with your protein helped you absorb more of the protein....something like steak/mince for instance would be ideal..

Shakes in my opinion are a poor substitute for REAL food...I grow way better if I eat good quality food.

I dont agree with this, and alot of my studies in classes wouldn't either. I used to eat a ton of protein as well, and I can believe Im saying this but thats too much. I dont believe in the RDA because thats bull shit, eating like 40 g of protein a day is wasting away for someone after hypertrophy. Shoot for .7-1g of protein per pound in my opinion... I have experienced on this with me and with many of my clients and it works great every time. Many protein products are acidic, I never knew when I was eating 5-8 oz of meat per meal, but it was causing a huge imbalance in my PH. Now I balance out about 4 oz of lean fish or meat with 3x the veggies(usually spinach or broccoli). There are foods that are alkaline and foods that are acidic, acidity is somewhat necessary, but when you are more alkaline your body puts muscle on faster because its in a more harmonious and healthier state, as compared to 300 g of protein diet and the high acidity. Now that I PH balance, my body can put on muscle or maintain what Im at more of an ease. So dont go over board with the protein...

And dont get all your protein from a drink, thats not quality as compared to leaner meats and solid meals. If your on here, your obviously looking for answers to help you achieve your goals. Protein shakes are not going to get you to your goal as compared to efficiently timed solid meals with the right macronutrient and micronutrient profiles. Dont half ass this!

Protein and veggies eaten in large amounts is good for a body builder/strength athlete.....
csp_moon-landing.jpg

Ok I tried to go from 75 gram shakes to 100 and my kidneys shut down. You body can't and won't absorb that much in one shot. When bulking I need 400 + grams a day or I won't grow. Eating becomes a full time job. Digestive enzymes are a must.

Last edited:
Ok I tried to go from 75 gram shakes to 100 and my kidneys shut down. You body can't and won't absorb that much in one shot. When bulking I need 400 + grams a day or I won't grow. Eating becomes a full time job. Digestive enzymes are a must.

can you link us to some good digestive enzymes? i'm in the market for some.

Thats funny cus all the biggest guys in the world eat more than a 1 gram per pound.

Yea maybe, but how long is it taking them to put on -quality- muscle? Im telling you I was a meat head and a half with the insane ammount of protein, and their was no other way in my book at all, no other options but over the years I opened my mind that maybe what we think is set in stone will change, and what works now might not be the best option when science reveals what truly works. You know how the fitness and diet wheel are always being reinvented every few years. To be fair I cut 40 pounds for Muay Thai a while back, so the PH thing was done in an attempt to help increase my immune system strength and increase my stamina while training, which it did. But while cutting alot of my lbm stayed with me while cutting because of the PH balance in my opinion. At my Weight class, people dont believe that I belong in it. My opponents coach in my first fight came up to me after the fight and they didnt believe I made weight because of my build. So in all honesty I think a bodybuilding/PH balancing diet will be in the wave of the future for people cutting and for athletes. Take it for what its worth.

Back