Pure Domination

That was the worst minute and a half Ive ever wasted in my life!

No offense but id rather see a bar fight!!!!!!

gator

Damn that sucked! I was expecting some Bruce Lee shit.....not a couple guys dancing grabbing eah others gheys!!!

It sucks that the ADCC isn't broadcast on a major sports network. Galvao's balance is nothing less than flawless.

People that have never trained in BJJ can't appreciate how hard it actually is.

When Galvao is standing in the guys guard, he tries an illegal leg lock on Galvao (sideways torque on the knee). Galvao then decides to school him and embarrasses the shit out of him

Last edited:
And when he pushed him out of bounds. Kinda like kicking sand in his face when he is down. LOL

Funny as fuck. I'm a BJJ practitioner and I understand that he was just repeatedly getting 4 points for rear control over and over again to make dude look stupid.

International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation

The athlete cannot have score new points when he is in a position where he recieved points previously, changes position intentionally and returns to the same position.

Example: For knee on the belly and switching sides, there will be no new

points awarded.

The fight can be an ascending condition for technique, looking to dominate the adversary, working to finish the opponent.

No points will be marked for the athlete who is attaining a position while in a submission. Points will only be awarded after the submission is

completely defended.

Example: When one athlete is mounted on his opponent but is in a guitine the points of the mount will be awarded only when the submission is defended.

E-) THE BACK GRAB: Is when the athlete grabs his adversary’s back, taking hold of his neck and wrapping his legs around his opponent’s waist, with his heels leaning on the inner side of his opponent’s thighs, not allowing him to leave the position.4 POINTS. NOTE: the points will not be awarded if both heels are not properly positioned on the inner part of the adversary’s thighs.Also be considerea back if the athlete has the leg over one arm of the will opponent but never over grab both arms, in this case no points will be awarded.

You cant take the back, get off, back on, back off, etc to keep adding up points.

He was schooling the guy because he tried to put Galvao in an illegal leg lock which could have potentially injured him. I am sure after about 10 secs of rolling Galvao knew this guy had no chance that's why he was fucking around teaching him a lesson

Black belts are earned someplaces and given away in other places. Your boy looked great but his competion looked horrible. He was in piss poor shape and looked like he was literally dying out there.

I also don't understand what was illegal. In all the Jitz tournaments I've been in the only illegal holds in the Black Belt div are neck cranks and some time small joint manipulation (ie toe holds and wrist locks).

Although I've never competed outside of Fl.

Neck cranks suck; if they are applied to you. Recovering from one from the end of July however I had a previous neck injury.

The grappling tournaments that I've been to are normally around 5 minutes per round and normally points are not awarded until later in the round; I believe in the last 2 minutes which leaves the first 3 minutes open to what you can do; or can't.

I got neck cranked in the finals of my first tourney twice. I was in dudes guard and had my head on his chest looking right. He reached around my head with his right arm and grabbed my chin while holding my body close with his other arm. Schoolyard shit. I punched him and got Silver. Fuck it. I also found out later that he had been training for 6 1/2 years and we were in the NAGA beginners division. Fucking sandbaggers ruin NAGA. I stopped doing them last year for that very reason.

No-Gi grappling is going to be flooded with sand baggers.

I have only been doing BJJ for six months so I will go in the beginner division (and ignore the fact that I have been wrestling for the last 15 years).

That's probably one of the biggest problems with beginner divisions. Just like trying to keep guys on steroids out of natural BBing competitions (it's going to happen)

That does happen. I've been to some tournaments that there wasn't enough people for certain weight classes that the beginners, intermediate and advanced fought each other. I was surprised that I did as well as I did and having come sporting injuries. For this you already know what you are in for and I'm good with that. This I think only makes you better.

I've been to some tournaments where there are divisions and I have seen this sand bagging going on as well. I especially love when going and I recognize others from tournaments and knowing how well they've done and the division they put themselves into; I guess they are feeding their egos. Especially love the ones for the gi tournaments where their gi's are decorated and very worn and go in the beginner bouts; ya right!

For the neck issue discussed earlier. My first incident wasn't really a neck crank but I hip tossed my opponent only to have him reverse it in the air so that I took the brunt of the force. I ended up landing on my neck and crushing my C6 and C7 vertebrae that is still an issue today from 2004/2005. After x-rays and a MRI surgery was an option if I could not handle the pain but I managed through it and know I have to watch my neck. But dummy me when training at the end of July 2008 was going pretty strong with my partner, and it was totally agreed on, and my neck got cranked and it wasn't pretty. As with the first time my arm went number but instead of pain it was pure fire. I am only now just feeling not too bad however when doing lifts such as Squats or some shoulder workouts I can feel a slight tingle. X-rays and MRI now shows in addition C5 is damaged and my sports doctor is imploring that I don't continue ... as he did prior. I probably won't listen again. :)

I don't wish this on anybody.

DLC, I was getting horrible headaches and having a lot of neck issues afterwards until I got a nerve block. I can get the medical term if you need it, but my Paon Management Doc basically "burned out" the nerve in my neck that was casuing all the pain. She said that the neck, unlike the back, has a lot of nerves that serve no purpose other than pain recognition and that if you already know that your injured that there is no use having cronic pain. She's awesome and does my bi-annual lower back steroid injects.

For myself the vertebrae are actually crushed/compressed. X-rays also show jagged edges due to the initially injury. When doing nothing I'm "okay" but know that it can be a time bomb as my doctor says. As long as I was careful and stopped when I felt the tingling sensation then the rest would calm down the discs otherwise they would swell and that would cause the nerve problems. The neck crank though got pinched badly.

For both I've had my neck stretched on a machine. Massage and manipulation by the doctors staff; not a chiropractor. Also on medication that was originally designed for Epileptic patients that deadens the nerves plus some anti-inflammatories. While feeling good I'm not on anything as I want to know when I am feeling the pain to stop. For a while I was quite addicted to taking pain killers and it got to a point I was also popping 4x400 mg of ibuprofen four times a day and it was doing something to my liver/kidneys and had to go in for testing.

This does sound interesting and will bring up; maybe not discussed as would not necessarily fit this type of injury. My sports doctor is a former NHL Stanley Cup player who I have never met as good of a doctor in my life that has helped me not only through these but also an elbow (2001) and a ACL (2005) surgery. He understands things better and gives sound advise and care.

Thanks for the information; appreciated. Reputation added.

Last edited:
Back