Push, Pull, Legs

downwardspiral

Does anyone group their bodyparts this way? If so what kind of exercises are you using and what is the volume of your wkouts? im considering this split and was looking for opinions, thanks

This works for me.

SUN
deadlift 1x5
bent row 1x5
underhand row 1x5

TUES
bench 1x5
incline 1x5
military 1x5

THURS
skwat 1x5
leg curls 2x5-8
zercher box skwat 1x5

slobberknocker said:
This works for me.

SUN
deadlift 1x5
bent row 1x5
underhand row 1x5

TUES
bench 1x5
incline 1x5
military 1x5

THURS
skwat 1x5
leg curls 2x5-8
zercher box skwat 1x5

Lol! Uhh..none of that is push/pull though there Platz, other than the last workout, and it looks like you are doing straight sets there as well, so it doesn't qualify. That's cool though. To answer your question downwardspiral, it isn't the best workout to do for base-building. If you just wanted to tone up, or perhaps were rehabing an injury. Perhaps you were just interested in going light & maintaining for awhile as a switch, then it might work, but not as a base builder. Anyhow, here are a few:

(1). Bench Press/Low Puley Row.

(2). Leg Extension/Leg Curl.

(3). Military Press/Lat Pulldown. Front Military press = Front pulls. Military BTN = Pulls BTN.

(4). Tricep pushdowns/cable curls.

(5). Wrist curls/reverse wrist curls.

(6). Incline Press/Parralel-Grip Lat Pulls to the front.

(7). Deads or Hyperextensions/Situps.

(8). Seated Calf Raises/Toe-Ups for Tibs.

(9). Pec-Dec/Rear Delts Flies.

(10). Skullcrushers/Lying Bicep Cable curl(pull to the forhead).

(11). Sissy-Squats/Straight-Leg Deads.

That's 11. Hows that brother?

Last edited:
slobberknocker said:
This works for me.

SUN
deadlift 1x5
bent row 1x5
underhand row 1x5

TUES
bench 1x5
incline 1x5
military 1x5

THURS
skwat 1x5
leg curls 2x5-8
zercher box skwat 1x5

I think this is what downwardspiral was talking about. It is a good split if you want to work your arms and delts only once a week, because you pretty much have to work your tris when you do either chest or shoulders, and your bis when you do your lats. You could add curls on the SUN and triceps exercises on TUES. That doesn't look like much volume - one set of each?

PowerBuilder said:
I think this is what downwardspiral was talking about. It is a good split if you want to work your arms and delts only once a week, because you pretty much have to work your tris when you do either chest or shoulders, and your bis when you do your lats. You could add curls on the SUN and triceps exercises on TUES. That doesn't look like much volume - one set of each?

How the hell is that what he was talking about man?? If he was asking about "push/pull" routines, then that could not have been what he was talking about, because if you read my reply you'd know that that routine incorporates ZERO push/pull techniques!! Do any of you even know what push/pull is??????? Christ.

It's a set involving one push technique, super-setted with a pull technique(or vice versa) going the mirror opposite direction. Look at my examples. PUSH: Flat Bench Press. Immediately super-setted with PULL: Low-Pulley Rows! PUSH: Tricep Cable Pushdowns....PULL: Standing Bicep Cable Curls. Get it now?

Last edited:
actually what i am talking about is the routine that slobber knocker gave.

I know what you are talking about skedmedz, but thats not exactly what i ment thanks for the reply though.

anyone else doing a push, pull, legs routine?

Also slobber how is each set performed if you are only doing one set?

downwardspiral said:
actually what i am talking about is the routine that slobber knocker gave.

I know what you are talking about skedmedz, but thats not exactly what i ment thanks for the reply though.

anyone else doing a push, pull, legs routine?

Also slobber how is each set performed if you are only doing one set?

Ugh. The routine he gave is not push/pull bro. So if you are asking about push/pull, and you are expecting a response from someone who knows what that is, yet you want what slobberknocker posted, I don't think you are going to receive the proper info. What he is doing is the routine that Dorian Yates does. 1 warmup, then 1 set of 6-8 to complete failure. If that is more what you are looking for then maybe this will suffice:

1. LEG PRESSES: 1 Warmup of 15(4 plates/side). 1 set to failure of 6-8 repswith 12 plates/side.

2. FRONT SQUATS: 1 warmup w/225. 1 stf w/ #315(6-8 reps)

3. SISSIES: 1 warmup of 15 with no weights held. Rest for 1 minute. 1 set to failure with a #45.

4. Lunges: Hard to do to failure. 2 sets of 15. Minute & 1/2 rest interval.

5. Extensions: Same as Lunges.

You have already done plenty of "to failure" sets with the first 3. The last 2 are just shaping movements, that are usually done light. You can get away with it though after the first 6 sets imo.

70w30 said:
I have to agree with Skeds on this one....that is not a push pull routine

It's not a push-pull routine, it's a push-pull-legs SPLIT. There's a difference...

In a push-pull routine, you alternate, or even superset, between complementary push and pull movements. In a push-pull-legs split, you do all push movements on one day, all pull movements the next, and a third day for legs.

--dave

Mr. dB said:
It's not a push-pull routine, it's a push-pull-legs SPLIT. There's a difference...

In a push-pull routine, you alternate, or even superset, between complementary push and pull movements. In a push-pull-legs split, you do all push movements on one day, all pull movements the next, and a third day for legs.

--dave

THANK you brother. Finally...clarification. I see was was meant now.

Got it Dave sorry for the cunfusion........
Put me in my place.......
I was thinking same day :eek:

Last edited:
Actually it's based on Ed Coan's split, but that's interesting if Yates follows something similar.

"Also slobber how is each set performed if you are only doing one set?"

Warmups aren't written down. I usually do 3 warmup sets for the first exercise, then 1 warmup set for the following exercises. Did that answer your question?

Back