Question about Dextrose for pwo???

kev ute

So immediately after my workouts i down 2 scoops of shake, equalling 50g protein and also 1/2 cup of oatmeal just mixed with water while i'm still in the gym.

But i've been doing alot more reading lately and have been reading that it would be more beneficial for me to add 60-80g of dextrose to my pwo shake. Mainly because dextrose will hit my system faster. Oatmeal is a great source of clean carbs but they breakdown too slowly.

So my question is... is what i've stated in the above paragragh correct? And also i was at my local grocery store and in the bulk section they had Dextrose Corn Sugar.
Is that kind of dextrose ok or should i be looking for a straight dextrose?

Thanks for any and all input!

that dextrose corn sugar "is" dextrose, if not it will work in the "exact" same fashion. and as far as how much really depends on what was trained and how heavy you are (your lean body mass more so than actual weight thou).

short answer is for PWO...you can't go wrong with good old dextrose plus protein and a small amount of Creatine (3-5 grams)...do this and you got yourself a cheaper but none the less extreamly effective PWO shake :). Dextrose is glucose (commonly refered to as D-glucose), it's just that the C6H12O6 molecule is slanted in different directions but it's used by the body in the same way... Im majoring in Dietetics in case you were wondering haha

i personally use a white bagel pwo... but iv heard good things about dextrose.. i just follow a whole foods philosophy

i personally use a white bagel pwo... but iv heard good things about dextrose.. i just follow a whole foods philosophy

age= 28
weight=190ish
bf=not sure but thinking 12-14%
bmr=dependant on bf but thinking 1950-
2050ish
tdee=2900-3100ish
Sorry for not being able to give you exact numbers for my stats.

Thanks, i've read all of your stickies and they're all great. This dieting forum is actually what has made me pay alot more attention to what i eat. I've been workingout for years. But never really worried about what i eat and how much. I just thought that i needed to eat lots of protein, mostly from real foods. I never paid attention to how much carbs i need to eat, and many of the carbs that i was eating that i thought were ok carbs have been turning out to be crap.

My protein intake has always been good, pretty much lines up with everything that i've been reading lately. And in the last 8 weeks i've totally changed my carb intake. Now my main sources of carbs are Oatmeal, Chili Beans( a mix of various beans), Yams, long grain brown rice, and sometimes frozen berries. Occasionally sometimes my wife cooks something different like pasta or tacos or a sandwich. But this isn't very often. And i make sure its always whole grains stuff.

I believe it was your sticky on free nutritional advice and you were giving an example of your bulking diet. and for your pwo meal you had 2 cups of blueberries equalling 42g of carbs.

Is fruit a viable option for pwo? And if so, which fruits do you recommend?

age= 28
weight=190ish
bf=not sure but thinking 12-14%
bmr=dependant on bf but thinking 1950-
2050ish
tdee=2900-3100ish
Sorry for not being able to give you exact numbers for my stats.

Thanks, i've read all of your stickies and they're all great. This dieting forum is actually what has made me pay alot more attention to what i eat. I've been workingout for years. But never really worried about what i eat and how much. I just thought that i needed to eat lots of protein, mostly from real foods. I never paid attention to how much carbs i need to eat, and many of the carbs that i was eating that i thought were ok carbs have been turning out to be crap.

My protein intake has always been good, pretty much lines up with everything that i've been reading lately. And in the last 8 weeks i've totally changed my carb intake. Now my main sources of carbs are Oatmeal, Chili Beans( a mix of various beans), Yams, long grain brown rice, and sometimes frozen berries. Occasionally sometimes my wife cooks something different like pasta or tacos or a sandwich. But this isn't very often. And i make sure its always whole grains stuff.

I believe it was your sticky on free nutritional advice and you were giving an example of your bulking diet. and for your pwo meal you had 2 cups of blueberries equalling 42g of carbs.

Is fruit a viable option for pwo? And if so, which fruits do you recommend?

well its all predicated on how your diet looks for the rest of the day.. i have blueberries there because my diet was configured in a way where my meals compliment each other..

fructose usually has a hard time getting to glycogen stores... so i try to tell most people to use a semi-simple carb source that isn't fruit for pwo...

bananas work there too... its not just blueberries...

what are you trying to do here?? bulk??

you should look into becoming a client.. get the guessing game squashed by me...

or if thats not an option for you post up your diet ill critique it for free...

fructose usually has a hard time getting to glycogen stores... so i try to tell most people to use a semi-simple carb source that isn't fruit for pwo...

bananas work there too... its not just blueberries...

what are you trying to do here?? bulk??

you should look into becoming a client.. get the guessing game squashed by me...

or if thats not an option for you post up your diet ill critique it for free...

Currently i'm trying to do a nice solid bulk. Try to gain without too much fat gain. Here's my current diet.

fat/carb/pro/cals
meal 1: oatmeal 1 cup= 5/48/12/280
raisins, a few for taste=0/12/0/50
lg whole eggsx4= 20/0/24/280
egg whitesx8= 0/5/25/125
Total= 25/67/62/745

meal 2: tunax1can= .5/0/30/120
chili style beans= 1.5/60/25/330
Total= 2/60/55/450

meal 3: salmonx1can= 2.5/0/24/120
4oz salmon= 4/0/23/140
yams= .5/60/4/260
Total= 7/60/51/520

meal 4: sardinesx2cans= 17/0/33/190

meal 5(pwo): shake= 1/1/50/210
dextrose= 0/60/0/240
Total= 1/61/50/450

meal 6: chickenbreastx2=5/0/36/180
brown rice 1/4cup=1.5/35/4/170
Total= 6.5/35/40/350

misc/snacks:
cottagecheese= .4/8/20/120
almondsx25ish= 14/6/6/165
salad, usually add a little dressing, 40 cals mostly sugar carbs

before bed:
can tuna= .5/0/30/120

Total= 73/297/347/3110

percentages= fat21%/carb38%/pro44%

Not everyday is perfect but this is what i strive for, sometimes there are some variations depending on what my wife makes for dinner. But its usually chicken or fish.

So my tdee at this time my best guess is 3000. and being only at an intake of 3110 i'm not eating enough. I should try to get up to 3500ish cals. I wanna gain mostly lean mass though. Should i up my carb intake? and with which meals? I was thinking probably adding more to my pwo and possibly an apple in the morning.

Any thoughts and critiques would be great.

sorry, so i try to workout 5 times per week and do light cardio(125-135bpm) 2-3 times per week. with this type of routine, should i multiply my bmr by 1.55?

Juicy Leather Bags

Must be intended, absolutely beautiful, an absolute fashion, absolute integrity, you want to Juicy Couture to
New Arrival Juicy Bags

Juicy Couture Shoes

Juicy Couture Laptop Bags

New Arrival Juicy Bags

Back