question or two

Dominance

Hey,
I'm new to the whole supplement thing, so I'm not really all that informed yet. Hoping you guys could help me out.

I want to give Creatine a try and I figure some Whey Protein wouldn't hurt either. So I came up with these two

- http://www.directconnectnutrition.c...1&page=1&xid=4cc23770c27d7667e860f51679a4870a

- http://www.directconnectnutrition.c...8&page=1&xid=4cc23770c27d7667e860f51679a4870a

Do these two sound ok? I'm open to suggestions, if you do have a suggestion, a name of a respectible site that carries that product would be welcome.

My questions are;
When should I take them? In the morning and once I get home from school? Or right befor and right after the workout? (I can't drink it during) And what about the Protein? When is the optimum time to take that aswell?
My workouts generally are a 50 min weight room session or a 50 min cardio session, and than about a half an hour untill Football practice starts. Which lasts for about 2 hours. I also work out quite a bit at home, but no set schedule. The Weight Room and the Cardio sessions alternate every other day, with one exception. One day we do sessions, in a one 1:45
hour(s) session with both.

And Concerning the protein part of this, I heard you suppose to take 1 or 1.5 grams of protein for every pound you weigh. Is this just for the average guy, or lifters looking to put on muscle mass?
And since I still eat family dinners and such is it possible to just take my average protein intake and figure out how much more I need and take that every day?

Would taking a bit too much protein be a bad thing? or would it just get washed out of your system?

I've also heard that Creatine stores up water in your body to help with the recovery. Which may result in the face looking chubby etc.... is there any way around this?

I've also heard people talk about taking creatine for a month or so, and than not being on it for a while. Whats the benefit of this, if any?

According to the description of the plasamov I should take 1-2 servings of it a day, a serving being a scoop.... Should I change this at all based upon my weight? Same goes for the protein.

And the last question is.... :D
Can someone someone please give me the basics concerning "Cycles" and there affiliation with creatine. I keep hearing it being discussed. And I can sort of guess what it means, but a actual description would be nice.

Thanks for the replies.
If any of my questions or descriptions don't make sense or something just ask and I would be happy to rephrase them, I'm sort of busy at the moment. So I'm not sure if my writing is legible or not.

Last edited:
Dominance said:

Do these two sound ok? I'm open to suggestions, if you do have a suggestion, a name of a respectible site that carries that product would be welcome.

Those are great. I just got my SportLab whey yesterday and the vanilla cream is very good.... easy to mix as well.

My questions are;
When should I take them? In the morning and once I get home from school? Or right befor and right after the workout? (I can't drink it during) And what about the Protein? When is the optimum time to take that aswell?

Protein: Take it post workout with water. If you want to take it any other time of day, take 1 scoop only in water, with some type of oil.
Creatine

Creatine: Same for your creatine. Take 5 grams right after you workout. You can dump 5 grams in your protein shake without any problems.

And Concerning the protein part of this, I heard you suppose to take 1 or 1.5 grams of protein for every pound you weigh. Is this just for the average guy, or lifters looking to put on muscle mass?

That is correct. But what a whey shake has over most foods is its fast absorbtion. It will get in your system and begin repairing muscle much faster than solid protein foods. So thats why whey is ideal to take right after you workout.

Would taking a bit too much protein be a bad thing? or would it just get washed out of your system?

Bot a bad thing, just make sure you're drinking plenty of water.

I've also heard that Creatine stores up water in your body to help with the recovery. Which may result in the face looking chubby etc.... is there any way around this?

You can take a diuretic, but that defeats the purpose of creatine. Most creatine bloat is overrated. It will bloat you somewhat (depending from person to person) but in some people its not even noticable. I wouldnt worry about it.....

I've also heard people talk about taking creatine for a month or so, and than not being on it for a while. Whats the benefit of this, if any?

Theres a big debate on whether you should cycle it. I do. I cycle every supplement but my protein just so my body dosnt get used to it from a constant outside flow. I find its more potent if I cycle it. I go 6 months on, and 2 weeks off, 6 months on, etc.

According to the description of the plasamov I should take 1-2 servings of it a day, a serving being a scoop.... Should I change this at all based upon my weight? Same goes for the protein.

No, follow the instructions for the ideal results. Cant go wrong....

Thanks for the replies.
If any of my questions or descriptions don't make sense or something just ask and I would be happy to rephrase them, I'm sort of busy at the moment. So I'm not sure if my writing is legible or not.

Thats what we're here for brother, to help out....

Thanks for the quick response. It really helped.

Another side question, do you think after football it would be worth taking another shake of the protein and/or Plasamov? Or would it be too soon, or unnecesary?

Thanks

YJ is right on the money.

Ill try and add some things if I can.

As far as the PlasmaVol, 1 serving is equal to 3 scoops (As per the directions on the bucket). Personally, since I am cutting up, I only use 2 scoops post workout mixed with 500 ml's of water. About 5-10 minutes after that, I take my protein shake. When not cutting, I end up taking 6 scoops total per day of the PlasmaVol. 2 scoops (always mix 2 scoops with 500 ml's of water for best taste and concentration) about 15-25 minutes before my workout, 2 scoops during my workout and finally the 2 scoops right after the workout.

Hope that helps.

Biggie

Last edited:
You can have another shake after football if you'd like. Wont hurt anything, but dont replace what normally would be a meal with a shake.

Biggie gave great advice on taking some during your workout, something I skipped over....

Dominance said:
Thanks for the quick response. It really helped.

Another side question, do you think after football it would be worth taking another shake of the protein and/or Plasamov? Or would it be too soon, or unnecesary?

Thanks

Remember, Protein and the Plasmavol are very different. PlasmaVol is really meant to replenish your glycogen storages after heavy training or activity like Football for instance. The bonus is that it includes Creatine, L-Glutamine and ALA.

Your Protein is meant to feed your muscles its fuel to grow. This is especially necessary after a hard workout or strenuous activity.

So having those 2 differences in mind, both are great for post workout or after football like you mentioned. Just make sure to take the PlasmaVol first before the protein.

Hey, Thanks for the advice guys.

Your responses spawned a couple more questions.
Cutting Up. Can someone please give me the basic jist of what you mean by this. Probobly sounds retarded asking, but I haven't been in a forum concerning body building befor, so I'm not fully aware of all the terms.

And Biggie said I should take my Protein shake seperate from the PlasmaVol. And YellowJacket said at the same time would be fine. Does it matter. Or is one way supeiour?
Probobly just end up taking it seperatly due to the flavors etc...
But make sure the PlasaMov is first befor the Protein right?

BiggieSwolls said:
Remember, Protein and the Plasmavol are very different. PlasmaVol is really meant to replenish your glycogen storages after heavy training or activity like Football for instance. The bonus is that it includes Creatine, L-Glutamine and ALA.

Is there still enough Creatine to get the full effects from?

Dominance said:
Hey, Thanks for the advice guys.

Your responses spawned a couple more questions.
Cutting Up. Can someone please give me the basic jist of what you mean by this. Probobly sounds retarded asking, but I haven't been in a forum concerning body building befor, so I'm not fully aware of all the terms.

And Biggie said I should take my Protein shake seperate from the PlasmaVol. And YellowJacket said at the same time would be fine. Does it matter. Or is one way supeiour?
Probobly just end up taking it seperatly due to the flavors etc...
But make sure the PlasaMov is first befor the Protein right?

Is there still enough Creatine to get the full effects from?

Cutting up = dieting down, trying to get ripped, etc.......

I always diet from April to August just to look decent for the summer. Here in Canada there is no real care what you look like in the winter seeing that they are pretty damn cold and your bundled up most the time.

Now pertaining to your question about the protein and plasmavol: Taking them at the exact same is fine, but i dont think your gonna enjoy that taste my friend. The makeup of the two drinks is entirely different especially if your like me and you mix your protein powder with skim milk. Your not going to enjoy mixing the Chocolate Supreme protein with some Grape flavored Plasmavol for example. I dont disagree that they can be taken at the same time but like I stated, the taste may not be very appealing to you. Just think of it as mixing a fruity drink like a Gatorade with a milkshake from McDonalds, not very nice huh?

So basically since I dont mix them, I opt to take the Plasmavol first to get my quick insulin spike. Then as soon as Ive somewhat digested the plasmavol and have room in my stomach, Ill drink the protein.

About the Creatine in PlasmaVol, there is 5 grams of Creatine in every 3 scoops of the PlasmaVol. 5 grams is enough for a day IMO. But if your taking the full 2 servings worth of PlasmaVol per day then your getting 10 grams of Creatine per day which is very sufficient.

Thanks for the replies and advice guys.
It's good to see the Owner/Adminstrator taking such a active role in his forums. So many times I see them come detached from there our forum.

:cool:

Just wanted to get another question in here real quick.
Should I expect weight gain using either of these? and If so, which kind? What I mean by that, is where is the weight coming from etc....
Thanks

Ps: Sorry for the vague question. I'm just not sure how to word it completely right.

Should I expect weight gain using either of these? and If so, which kind? What I mean by that, is where is the weight coming from etc....

From the sound of your activity level, most of your weight gain, if any, should be muscle. This depends on a number of things though, like the amount of calories you consume, number of meals per day and when you eat them, and your lifting routines, among others.
Is your 50 mins of cardio part of football or are you doing it on your own? Long cardio sessions can dip into your muscle stores for energy if your not careful. I would consider a small meal or shake around 30 minutes to an hour before your activity if possible. A 50 min workout/cardio session followed by a 2 hr football practice is a long time to go without fueling your muscles.
What exactly are your goals...build muscle/ lose fat? Bulking up? Cutting up while retaining as much muscle as possible?
Are you playing high school or college football?

The 50 min workouts (Both Lifting and Cardio alternating every other days except for one 1:45 session with both.) Are seperate from Football,and they end about 1/2 an hour to 45 mins befor the Football practices really start to get going.

My goals are hard to define really at the moment. I suppose the best way of putting it would be build muscle and lose fat. But later on down the road probobly cutting up. But cutting up is a ways a way. Not really important right now.

I'm playing Highschool Football.

To give ya a idea of what I'm workign with;

Currently i'm 5'9/5'10 and weigh 165-170 lbs (it changes periodicly.)

Edit---
Quick thought. Old Guy you spoke of how going that long without fueling my muscles is a bad thing. Which it is. I completely agree. But shouldn't the PlasaMov cover me there? If I'm going to take it Post the cardio/Lifting workout (Which ever I have that certain day) wouldn't the PlasaMov be enough refueling to get me through Football practice? If not i'm also debating on taking some after football practice aswell.
Just kind of thinking out loud here. Any comments at this would be appreciated.

I was planning on taking the PlasaMov and the Protein after the 50 min workout sessions befor football wether or not its cardio or lifting. Is this a good idea or should I just save it for the lifting days?

Will taking the shakes so closely together still be effective?
(A PlasaMov and a whey Protein after both the 50 min thing and the practice)
Even if the two are within 2-3 hours of each other?

Last edited:
Ok,
I see you have a little break between your workout and football.
IMO, I would try to work both of them in if time permits. Take the Plasmavol immediately after your workout, and a whey shake within 30 minutes if you can.

Work both of what if I can? If your speaking of the PlasaMov and the Whey Protein. Than the plan is to take both twice. Once right after the 50 min workout and again after Football. Still kind of wondering if the Whey Protein is necesary after Football or not. I'm not informed enough quite yet to know for sure. So it may be.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant both the Plasmavol and the whey after your workout.
Also, a whey shake after football is fine, especially if its a while before you will be eating a meal.
You want to give your muscles a steady supply of amino acids, which the whey provides.

Hey, good thread for newbies - this is !

I have a question as well : I'm thinking of trying Sportlab's weight gainer (I guess it's called Thicken) and also Plasmavol after workouts. Is it best if I take the protein with MILK, or with WATER ?
I'm bulking up, BTW. :)

Also, is it best if I get both the Thicken and -let's say- some 100% whey protein (like, say, Optimum) so I could consume a Thicken shake right after workout, but also two other 100% whey shakes in-between meals ... is this a good idea, or should I just stay with the Thicken all day 'round ?

Any thoughs would be appreciated :D

Gioro_T said:
Hey, good thread for newbies - this is !

I have a question as well : I'm thinking of trying Sportlab's weight gainer (I guess it's called Thicken) and also Plasmavol after workouts. Is it best if I take the protein with MILK, or with WATER ?
I'm bulking up, BTW. :)

Also, is it best if I get both the Thicken and -let's say- some 100% whey protein (like, say, Optimum) so I could consume a Thicken shake right after workout, but also two other 100% whey shakes in-between meals ... is this a good idea, or should I just stay with the Thicken all day 'round ?

Any thoughs would be appreciated :D

Ok, Thicken per 4 scoops (1 serving) will get you 41 grams of protein and something like 87 grams of carbs with very little fat and 5 grams of creatine.

Personally, and this is just me, I mix all my shakes with milk. For me its skim milk. Obviously you are going to get more calories out of your Thicken shake if you add milk. But then again, there are some who only like to drink their protein shakes with water.

So if you add 1 litre (approx. 1/4 gallon) of skim milk to your 4 scoops of Thicken, this is what you will get:

- Calories = 907
- Protein = 77 grams
- Carbs = 135 grams
- Fat = 6.5 grams
- Creatine = 5 grams

Basically the only difference between skim milk and 1% or 2% is the fat content per cup. So if you want more calories and you dont care about the fat calories (maybe your going all out bulking) make it 2%.

I would divide this drink into 2 different servings. I would drink one after my workout (after I have carbed up with a little simple carbs because keep in mind you are getting a bunch of carbs with the Thicken) and one at any other point during the day.

Now using the Thicken in this method will allow 1 bucket to last 25 days or almost a month. If you want even more calories and more protein you could always grab 2 buckets and double up the servings per day or maybe even add in another 2 scoops.

Please guys, if you have more questions lets hear them.

Back