Questions about training on 1st cycle.

Yatz77

So I am aware that this may fall under the training section, but it has to do with a cycle too. I posted this under training first with no response do I thought I would try this way

Okay guys I could use some advice here. I am 36 yo, 6'6" 220lbs and I have been training hard for two years. I have done splits of different types. For the last 8 weeks I have been doing full body work outs m-w-f. I have been doing mostly compound lifts with very little isolation work. My goal has been to add strength and mass. I a bulking and eating a ton and doing it cleanly. This workout has been successful because I am able to add weight to the bar on every exercise every week. My question is this, now that I just started my first cycle of test e at 500mg per week for 10 weeks,would it be better to switch back to a 4 or 5 day split or stick with what I have been doing? I just want to make sure that I am making the most of this time on and maximizing gains.

Here is more info on workout: I usually alternate rep schemes each day. So if go heavy on Monday (5 sets of 3-5 reps) then on Wed I go light (3 sets 10-12) then on Wed I would go moderate (4 sets 6-8 reps) so then next Mon I would go light... And alternate etc.. I also have three workouts that hit full body but all different lifts so as to hit each group a little differently each workout.

Monday:
Flat BB Bench
Squats
Military press
Bent over BB Rows
Weighted Dips
Barbell Curls

Wed:
Incline BB Bench
Leg Press
Seated DB presses
Seated DB Lateral raises
T-bar Rows
Reverse grip BB curls narrow grip
Abs

Fri:
Decline BB Bench
Chest Flies
Deadlifts
Weighted Lunges
Weighted pull ups
Close Grip Bb bench
DB preacher curls

So I welcome any advice, critiques or suggestions on anything. Thanks for reading.

only suggestion i have is training legs?

I'm doing squats on Monday, Leg press on Wed, barbell lunges after deadlifts on Friday. I know dreads are mostly a back exercise but it always hits my legs pretty hard too. I also do calf raises on Monday. What and where would you add more legs?

I'd say more volume.. i dont know how many sets/reps your doing, but legs are a huge muscle group.. your working your chest with the same if not more volume then legs..

Hey if your still seeing results why change it up?

I'm not a fan of doing mutlipule muscle on the same day.

If it ain't broke why fix it?

Chest 3 days a week? Excessive and counterproductive. Never really understood the concept of increased training frequency simply because one is on cycle.

For legs, just be sure to do hamstrings on different day.

Chest 3 days a week? Excessive and counterproductive. Never really understood the concept of increased training frequency simply because one is on cycle.

For legs, just be sure to do hamstrings on different day.
Well I have been doing this program for about 8 weeks, and just this week started cycle.
As far as chest. 3xweek I am only doing 4 total chest exercises for the week. I do one day heavy 3-5 followed by light 10-12 followed by moderate 6-8 back to light. Don't most splits include 3-4 exercises for a chest day. I feel like I'm getting more out of my Incline because I'm not doing it he same day as my flat Bb bench. Progressively adding more weight no after what rep range I work that day. I'm definitely making gains in strength, I'm steady adding 5 lbs at a minimum to each lift. I'm not trying to come off as know it all, I have so much to learn. Definitely open to suggestions, this is my first cycle and I'm excited to see what comes, but I want to do it right, if that means scratching this totally for something better suited, that's cool. Or maybe just some small tweaks to this. Maybe I should do two leg exercises per day, and hit those harder.

That's not really how it works Yatz.

Strength gains are very possible but they don't always equate to reasonably-paced-muscle-fiber-development. Strength in most cases is merely elevated muscle cell endurance, which can be used as a positive for growth, but not with your training schedule.

I understand you're performing 4 exercises. But they're spread over several days. The muscle will rarely, if ever, be damaged enough this way. Targeting multiples areas of a muscle through varying exercises is only one part of the equation. The other part is to induce damage to the fibers. This is generally done the very same day.

You should dedicate a full training session for each group and rest longer than 48 hours for large muscle groups. I assure you that you will find new muscle much faster.

If anything more rest. There is no way you should be able to train chest with 1 day rest then hit it again. I would do push pull split and stuck to te compound movements if that's working for you. Increase volume a bit and get a minimum of 48 hours of rest before hitting a muscle again. Remember you grow when you rest. I say hit the muscle a little harder and longer and then get a good amount of rest. Push days would consist of chest,shoulder tris. Pull day back and Bi's then give legs there own day. Doing it this way you will still be able to utilize the compound lifts you like an will give you some additional rest time in the mean time.

If you split it right you can train every other day I you like and still get plenty of rest.
Ex.
Day 1: push
Day 2: rest
Day 3: legs
Day 4:rest
Day 5: pull
Day 6: rest
Day 7: repeat the order from day 1

Thank you both for taking the time to get into this and for your responses. You both make a lot of sense. I like the idea of the push pull legs split. For my purposes on this cycle what rep scheme and sets would you suggest working in? Should I continue to Vary it, or lock into something like 4 sets of eight for compound lifts and sets of 12 for any auxillary/isolation work?

Ur gonna have to find what works for you

Get 1 issue powerlifting USA

For sheer size train heavy on compound movements, eat a lot
Rest is as important as is training

So I think I am going to go with Beast's suggestion and switch to the legs-push-pull style.
I have this in mind. I have two different workouts each for the push and the pull days that I will use just to have some variation. Please tell me if this seems good.

Mon: legs
Squats
Straight leg dead lifts
Leg press
Calf raises
Lunges
Extensions

Wed:push

A:
Incline BB bench
DB flat bench
Cable crossovers
DB shoulder press seated
DB Lateral Raises
Weighted Dips
Cable pull downs

Or push B
Flat Bb bench
DB incline bench
Flies
Military press
Rear delt raises
Close grip Bb bench
Tricep extensions

Pull A:
Dead lifts
Bent over Bb rows
T bar rows
Lat pull downs
Upright rows
Barbell curls
Preacher curls

Or pull B
Deadlifts
DB rows
Seated cable rows
Weighted pull ups
Shrugs
Reverse grip barbell curls
Seated incline DB curls

So I think I am going to go with Beast's suggestion and switch to the legs-push-pull style.
I have this in mind. I have two different workouts each for the push and the pull days that I will use just to have some variation. Please tell me if this seems good.

Mon: legs
Squats
Straight leg dead lifts
Leg press
Calf raises
Lunges
Extensions

Wed:push

A:
Incline BB bench
DB flat bench
Cable crossovers
DB shoulder press seated
DB Lateral Raises
Weighted Dips
Cable pull downs

Or push B
Flat Bb bench
DB incline bench
Flies
Military press
Rear delt raises
Close grip Bb bench
Tricep extensions

Pull A:
Dead lifts
Bent over Bb rows
T bar rows
Lat pull downs
Upright rows
Barbell curls
Preacher curls

Or pull B
Deadlifts
DB rows
Seated cable rows
Weighted pull ups
Shrugs
Reverse grip barbell curls
Seated incline DB curls

Nice man keep me posted on how it goes. Only thing left to say at this pony is there is no one specific way to train as everyone responds differently to different training methods. Train smart and listen to your body and get in tune with your body. At this point your on the right track and can fine tune your regimen from there. Don't over think things, it takes years of training to find what will ideally work for you and your goals. Train smart, train hard, eat big and rest easy. Everything will fall into place. Good luck!

Back