quick question about differences between ephedrine and pseudoephedrine

TxLonghorn

Co-Founder
Anybody know if the sides are the same for both? The reason I ask is that I stopped taking ephedrine a few years ago because of it's effects on my prostate gland. Anyways, I was needing to take a decongestant the other day and -pseudoephedrine-.

So, anybody?

Not sure if this really answers your Q or not, but here goes;

Ephedrine and pseudoephedrine are closely related drugs with actions and side effects similar to the hormone epinephrine (adrenaline). Ephedrine, available in prescription and nonprescription strengths, is sometimes used to dilate bronchi, making it easier for people with asthma to breathe. Nonprescription ephedrine nose drops and spray are used to relieve nasal congestion due to the flu or hay fever. Pseudoephedrine, a nonprescription drug taken by mouth, can also be used to relieve this symptom.

Muscular and cardiorespiratory effects
of pseudoephedrine in human athletes
by
Gill ND, Shield A, Blazevich AJ, Zhou S, Weatherby RP.
Centre for Sport and Exercise Science,
The Waikato Polytechnic,
Private Bag HN 3036,
Hamilton, New Zealand.
Br J Clin Pharmacol 2000 Sep;50(3):205-13

ABSTRACT
AIMS: Pseudoephedrine (PSE) is a readily available over-the-counter nasal decongestant which is structurally similar to amphetamine and is included on the International Olympic Committee's list of banned substances. However to date, little research has supported its putative ergogenic effect. This study investigated whether a 180 mg dose of PSE ingested 45 min prior to exercise enhanced short-term maximal exercise performance and/or altered related physiological variables. METHODS: A randomised, double-blind, crossover study in 22 healthy male athletes. RESULTS: Maximum torque (mean +/- s.d., n = 22) produced in an isometric knee extension exercise was 321.1+/-62.0 Nm (PSE) and 295.7+/-72.4 Nm (placebo), and peak power obtained on the 'all-out' 30 s cycle test was 1262.5+/-48.5 W (PSE) and 1228.4+/-47.1 W (placebo) (P<0.01, P<0.03, respectively). Subjects were estimated to be producing 96.9+/-2.4% of their maximal possible isometric leg extension force after PSE ingestion, but only 95.3+/-2.4% when PSE was not ingested. Bench press tasks and total work during the cycle test were not affected by the ingestion of PSE. Lung function was altered following ingestion of PSE (P<0.05) with FEV1 and FVC significantly increased (P<0.02, P<0.01, respectively) although the FEV1/FVC ratio was not altered. Heart rate was significantly elevated by the ingestion of PSE immediately following the 30 s cycle sprint (P<0.01) however, lactate concentration was not altered by the ingestion of PSE. CONCLUSIONS: The administration of a 180 mg dose of PSE increased maximum torque, produced in an isometric knee extension and produced an improvement in peak power during maximal cycle performance, as well as improving lung function.

Pseudoephedrine is a good bit weaker than ephedrine, and has less CNS stimulatory effects.

Interesting side note: both can be used to synthesize methamphetamine. Anybody see the movie "Spun"?

Have any of you tried those 8mg ephedrine pills found in Canada? Have a few and just wanted to see how good those are!

WannaImpress said:
Have any of you tried those 8mg ephedrine pills found in Canada? Have a few and just wanted to see how good those are!

I have used them for the past year on and off bro. They are great, still ephedrine HCL like the old 24-25's, just need to take 3 to get the normal dose.

They started making them in 8mg as that is the largest strenght by law they can make them up here.

bigdawg1468 said:
I have used them for the past year on and off bro. They are great, still ephedrine HCL like the old 24-25's, just need to take 3 to get the normal dose.

They started making them in 8mg as that is the largest strenght by law they can make them up here.

Thanks bigdawg1468! I'm a little anxious to see what kind of results I will get from those 8mg tabs at 24mgs/day. Do you do the whole ECA stack or just the ephedrine?

StoneColdNTO said:
Heart rate was significantly elevated by the ingestion of PSE immediately following the 30 s cycle sprint (P<0.01) however, lactate concentration was not altered by the ingestion of PSE.

thisis the part that stuck out at me.

my conclusion drawn from this styudy: it slightly increases muscle strength output. however, the cns stimulation is not much. it also increases heart rate, but does not decrease the amount of lactic acid build up. this means it would not have an effect on muscle stamina and endurance. the lack of cns stimulation and performance enhancement makes this a poor pre workout drug. caffeine improves endurance,and will give you more of a mental kick. stick witheither a low dose of str8 ephedrine, or caffeine.

my 2 cents.

WannaImpress said:

Personally I think they're the best, highest quality ephedrine pills I've had since the "olden days" when you could buy pharmaceutical grade 25mg "mini thins" by the 1000s.

I like them much more than the 12.5mg eph/guifenesen pills they sell at the gas stations here in the USA.

WannaImpress said:
Thanks bigdawg1468! I'm a little anxious to see what kind of results I will get from those 8mg tabs at 24mgs/day. Do you do the whole ECA stack or just the ephedrine?

I use the Ephedrine along with 200mg caffene tables I pick up at local health store. I have enough personal experience that shows the asprin doesn't add anything extra for me. I haven't used asprin in years and most studies also point to it adding nothing to results.

bigdawg1468 said:
I use the Ephedrine along with 200mg caffene tables I pick up at local health store. I have enough personal experience that shows the asprin doesn't add anything extra for me. I haven't used asprin in years and most studies also point to it adding nothing to results.

I agree - all the aspirin does is thin the blood and it makes no difference to me. SC is correct about the dilatory effect on bronchus and sinuses. I've got a cold now and popped some ephedrine and it cleared me out in no time. Isn't pseudoephedrine a synthetic compound?

DTOX & bigdawg1468 thanks bros., looking forward to trying my goodies! Will be using it on my 2 week of break from clen.!:)

WannaImpress said:
They suck toss em in the bin...Interactive ?

70w30 said:
They suck toss em in the bin...Interactive ?

Don't know how you can say they suck. Ephedrine HCL is ephedrine HCL no matter what the strength and the ones I use are pure HCL. The only reason they are in 8mg instead of 24-25 like the old days is that they can't make them any more potent then 8mg by law.

My only guess is either you don't get affects from ephedrine(which I have seen with friends) or the product you bought is shit. All the people that I know that have always used ephedrine are still getting same results as always.

I am curious as to what brand you say suck?

This is are the ones I was talking about

I blacked out the name but for those who are familiar with these pills should recognize the bottle!

somewhere is my last post on eph and the er...so i wont condone it...but i did use the eph hcl 25mg tabs daily...i ran an aspirin with them...but, since last thursday and wednesday night, not again for a while if ever...

E

Re: This is are the ones I was talking about

WannaImpress said:
I blacked out the name but for those who are familiar with these pills should recognize the bottle!

those are the ones I have been using for the last year and a half. They are a legit company and with having the DIN number on them, they have to match label claims 100% in Canada, this si one of the reason I look for a DIN # on any canadian product I purchase as you know what you are getting.

Last edited:
Back