Ramadan and Training

Megatron28

Ramadan starts tomorrow and lasts a month. I would be interested in hearing from members here observing Ramadan on how the manage the fasting (no food or water between sunrise-sunset), and abstinence from sex for the month while training. Especially if trying to cycle at the same time. I just am curious what the month of Ramadan is like for someone training at the same time.

Before you hit the post button, please ask yourself if you are making a postive contribution.

Was that special reguest for the red neck s like me who was thinking of the hotel chain ?

Kidding relax...my neighbor s Morrocan and he s told me all about it and I d say u either go on a cut or eat at night ??? No sex too...that s just to much.

As a catholic I can honestly say I ve given up Lint-for lint.

Mega delete all any or edit at will....do not want any one fucking up w a soldering iron and blow themselves up....lolol...ya ll got to lighten.. P c is for pussies.
Being German and southern EVERYTHINGS my f k n fault.

T

I had a teammate in College who was Muslim. Coaches did not let him practice during Ramadan. They felt it would be too dangerous.
personally if I did Ramadan I probably would not train either for the whole month.

I know nothing of Ramadan. So there is no physical activity at all? No bike rides? Swimming? Roller skating?

As far as eating goes. On a cut I can't see it being a problem . A bulk may be a bit tougher but I guess just eat more during the day.?

I am assuming but ithe sounds like using g gear may be frowned upon..... no?

I know nothing of Ramadan. So there is no physical activity at all? No bike rides? Swimming? Roller skating?

As far as eating goes. On a cut I can't see it being a problem . A bulk may be a bit tougher but I guess just eat more during the day.?

I am assuming but ithe sounds like using g gear may be frowned upon..... no?
Ramadan is basically strict fasting from sunrise and sundown. When I say strict I mean they can't even have water. When sun goes down they eat a small meal and drink very little water. They do this for an entire month

I will be fasting as well and it would be great if anyone can give their insight on how to properly train or manage gym.
Last year I would try to hit the gym 2-3 hours after breaking my fast and stay up till sunrise eating every 2 hours so I don't lose much. But lack of sleep gets a toll on u after a while.

Would love to hear anyone else's opinion. Thanks

I will be fasting as well and it would be great if anyone can give their insight on how to properly train or manage gym.
Last year I would try to hit the gym 2-3 hours after breaking my fast and stay up till sunrise eating every 2 hours so I don't lose much. But lack of sleep gets a toll on u after a while.

Would love to hear anyone else's opinion. Thanks

Are you fasting for Ramadan?

The only way I can see this working is if you put yourself into ketosis. Otherwise, the need for glycogen will make things very hard, and it could cause a serious crash.

No sex for a month. Geez, that would make me one cranky mofo! I get edgy if I go longer than a few days! :wiggle:

My understanding of it is that one can eat and have liquids after the sun goes down. If this is in fact true, one could have a meal once the sun does go down, train, then have another meal followed by some sleep. It would be totally conterproductive for one to train during the day on an empty stomach while being dehydrated followed by not being able to eat afterwards.

My .02

But according to Clinton bj s are not sex so surely masturbation is OK ? I ll stop. A small meal and a small amount of water...Ramadan sounds like a good time to let them joint s heal. My 7 weeks off healed my shoulder 95 percent anyway.

After 3-4 day s of that eating routine I d go catabolic if I thought to hard about something....damn this thread just made me eat another Klondike bar.

But according to Clinton bj s are not sex so surely masturbation is OK ? I ll stop. A small meal and a small amount of water...Ramadan sounds like a good time to let them joint s heal. My 7 weeks off healed my shoulder 95 percent anyway.

After 3-4 day s of that eating routine I d go catabolic if I thought to hard about something....damn this thread just made me eat another Klondike bar.

Daytime fasting during Ramadan has an ascetic quality. Muslims basically go about their normal routine, including work school and social functions. However, observers of Ramadan are expected to ***8220;abstain from food, drink and other sensual pleasures,***8221; according to the Council on Islamic American Relations (CAIR).

----> No BJ's or masturbation either.

There have been studies done on Ramadan's impact on muscle mass. Nada. And at least one of those was on bodybuilders or accomplished athletes, can't recall which. I've said it before (and been flamed wildly for it) that I usually only eat one meal a day, and it's usually late in the evening. If Ramadan fell in the winter I would meet the requirements already since the sun sets early enough then that I don't end up eating before sundown. I just ate, at 8:45pm, and the sun's been down 15 minutes. Earlier this week, I was up at 7am, and my first bite of food was at 11:30pm.

And eating that way I continue to put on muscle and hit PRs at 49. Squatting over 450, deadlifting 550 (need to retest after 20 reps at 400 recently), and benching 370, 5'10" 207 pounds.

I don't agree in the need to eat every few hours, obviously.

And preemptively, here ya go...

Fasting Does Not Negatively Affect Muscle Gain | Breaking Muscle

And take a look at:

http://ergo-log.com/rapid-weight-lo...-combine-intermittent-fasting-and-cardio.html

In the study above, look at particular in the difference between muscle loss on those fasting but not exercising versus those exercising but not fasting. Graphs look identical, data shows the fasters with no exercise did better than exercisers without fasting, and the ones fasting WITH exercise didn't lose any muscle yet lost about twice the fat.

So two groups trying to lose fat, both groups exercise but one fasts and the other doesn't and the fasted group didn't lose the muscle...not what you'd intuitively think, right? And in this study, what they call fasted is just really low calories in one meal per day. And they trained on that day!

I've been playing with intermittent fasting since 2009, so I'm not just parroting what I've read or been told. Been doing this a LONG time, and have gone from fat, to lean, to MUCH more muscular while staying pretty lean.

And preemptively, here ya go...

Fasting Does Not Negatively Affect Muscle Gain | Breaking Muscle

And take a look at:

http://ergo-log.com/rapid-weight-lo...-combine-intermittent-fasting-and-cardio.html

In the study above, look at particular in the difference between muscle loss on those fasting but not exercising versus those exercising but not fasting. Graphs look identical, data shows the fasters with no exercise did better than exercisers without fasting, and the ones fasting WITH exercise didn't lose any muscle yet lost about twice the fat.

So two groups trying to lose fat, both groups exercise but one fasts and the other doesn't and the fasted group didn't lose the muscle...not what you'd intuitively think, right? And in this study, what they call fasted is just really low calories in one meal per day. And they trained on that day!

I've been playing with intermittent fasting since 2009, so I'm not just parroting what I've read or been told. Been doing this a LONG time, and have gone from fat, to lean, to MUCH more muscular while staying pretty lean.

thanks B, that was very informative.

You bet.

I became friends with a guy over in Europe when I traveled, consulting. He was the first muslim I got to know well and since I'm naturally curious and he was very open and outgoing I learned a ton from him. I happened to be working with him during Ramadan and that was fascinating. We worked many late nights, culminating in him pigging out. I had some fascinating conversations sitting in a turkish restaurant in Belgium at midnight slamming slices of pizza. Nassim loved his food, and his women, and complained many times that it was very hard for him to be a good muslim. Miss that dude. I hadn't thought of him or Ramadan in years.

FitGuy, get back on here and let us know how you fared during Ramadan. If you'll workout fasted, close to sunset, immediately followed by some big meals to pump in the protein and carbs I think you can actually put on some muscle and lose some fat. Let us know how it goes!

Back