Recent Lab Work a must read for everyone

hellion

Stats: 41 yrs old 6'5' 270 lbs 16% BF (calipers)

HRT test cyp 200mg/wk, added deca 250mg/wk

07/10/2013
Hematocrit 55.8
Hemoglobin 19.1

07/16/2013
Red Cross Donation

07/17/2013
Hematocrit 55.7
Hemoglobin 19.2

Moral of the story one liter of blood doesn't do shit.

The approximate amount of blood volume that needs to be withdrawn to restore normal values can be calculated by the following formula:

ABV = Average Blood Volume (default = 70)

Hgbi (Hcti) = Hemoglobin initial

Hgbf (Hctf) = Hemoglobin final (desired);

So, for a 70 kg (154 lbs) man (multiply lbs x 0.45359237 to get kilogram) with an initial high hemoglobin of 20 mg/mL who needs to have it brought down to a normal hemoglobin of 14 mg/mL, the calculation would be:

CC of blood volume to be withdrawn = 75 x 70 x [20 — l4]/[(20 + l4)/2]

= 75 x 70 x (6/17) = approximately 1850cc;

One unit of whole blood is around 350 to 450 cc; approximately 4 units of blood need to be withdrawn to decrease this man’s hemoglobin from 20 mg/mL to 14 mg/mL.

So if you plug my values in you come up with 3026cc; approximately 7 units of blood need to be withdrawn to normalize my hemoglobin and hematocrit.

I have an appointment with a Hematologist this Friday. Endocrinologist is flipping the fuk out wants to take me off Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) I said lets see what hematologist has to say. I am guessing his dx is going to be polycyhemia vera with therapeutic phlebotomy as the treatment.

I see alot of guys here that think that they can donate at the Red Cross and that is gonna fix there lab values.

My doses are considerable low compared to what some guys are taking here.

If you want to freak the fuk out check out Austinite pick of his blood with a Hematocrit of 55 scared the fuck out of me. When it comes to blood work he's the man really knows his shit.

I think everybody agrees that the end goal is our health and to be safe.

Let you guys know what hematologist has to say.

Stats: 41 yrs old 6'5' 270 lbs 16% BF (calipers)

HRT test cyp 200mg/wk, added deca 250mg/wk

07/10/2013
Hematocrit 55.8
Hemoglobin 19.1

07/16/2013
Red Cross Donation

07/17/2013
Hematocrit 55.7
Hemoglobin 19.2

Moral of the story one liter of blood doesn't do shit.

The approximate amount of blood volume that needs to be withdrawn to restore normal values can be calculated by the following formula:

ABV = Average Blood Volume (default = 70)

Hgbi (Hcti) = Hemoglobin initial

Hgbf (Hctf) = Hemoglobin final (desired);

So, for a 70 kg (154 lbs) man (multiply lbs x 0.45359237 to get kilogram) with an initial high hemoglobin of 20 mg/mL who needs to have it brought down to a normal hemoglobin of 14 mg/mL, the calculation would be:

CC of blood volume to be withdrawn = 75 x 70 x [20 ***8212; l4]/[(20 + l4)/2]

= 75 x 70 x (6/17) = approximately 1850cc;

One unit of whole blood is around 350 to 450 cc; approximately 4 units of blood need to be withdrawn to decrease this man***8217;s hemoglobin from 20 mg/mL to 14 mg/mL.

So if you plug my values in you come up with 3026cc; approximately 7 units of blood need to be withdrawn to normalize my hemoglobin and hematocrit.

I have an appointment with a Hematologist this Friday. Endocrinologist is flipping the fuk out wants to take me off Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) I said lets see what hematologist has to say. I am guessing his dx is going to be polycyhemia vera with therapeutic phlebotomy as the treatment.

I see alot of guys here that think that they can donate at the Red Cross and that is gonna fix there lab values.

My doses are considerable low compared to what some guys are taking here.

If you want to freak the fuk out check out Austinite pick of his blood with a Hematocrit of 55 scared the fuck out of me. When it comes to blood work he's the man really knows his shit.

I think everybody agrees that the end goal is our health and to be safe.

Let you guys know what hematologist has to say.
I understand your fear given the obvious possible outcomes, but to say it does nothing is untrue. My HCT values went from 53% down to 45% after a half-dozen apheresis dontations (blood platelets) and regular whole blood donations every 56 days. For the record my hemoglobin is 15.2, and was at 19.1 when I started. This isn't something you do once and expect great results from, you have to do it continuously to reap the benefits.

I hope the hematologist can get you down in values, but I do truly believe that regular donations can and will prevent folks from being in your shoes. I think this is a case of doing things a little too late, and I'm honestly surprised they took you in for a donation as 54% is the cutoff from what I've been told.

My .02c :)

Yes, the lab obviously made a mistake. Think of volume. If you pour 8 cups of water into a bucket, and scoop out 1 cup and dump it, you're left with 7 cups of water. Not 7.99 cups.

I agree it's a little to late. I was hoping my endo would have suggested it. I was stupid didnt think low dose would increase my values. As far as donation.. pricked my figure lady said hemoglobin is 19 director came over said he huge of course its gonna be high put him through

I agree it's a little to late. I was hoping my endo would have suggested it. I was stupid didnt think low dose would increase my values. As far as donation.. pricked my figure lady said hemoglobin is 19 director came over said he huge of course its gonna be high put him through

Yeah, I don't know ANY doctors that tell their patients on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) to donate blood to prevent this from happening. Like I always say in the testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) forums: Most endos/PCP docs think that since they can treat diabetes and it's a hormone, they can treat other hormonal deficiencies as well with impunity. I really hope you can get things squared away, and do suggest regular donations and apheresis for those that blast frequently as well.

On the bright side, at least you know NOW, not when it's life-threatening and you're FORCED to drop the testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) because of an ignorant doctor.

Back