Votes: 9 47.4%
  • High reps - light weights

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Incorporate all 3 in one workout

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

massive

Right I want your opinions for the best rep range for stimulating muscle growth.

Do you prefer:
heavy weight with low reps (3 - 5)
Moderate weight with moderate reps (8 - 12)
Low weights with high reps (15 - 25)
Or to incorporate all 3 rep ranges in 1 workout

(i.e triceps)
Close grip bench 5 x 5
Skull crushers 4 x 8 - 12
Overhead rope extensions 3 x 15 - 25

This method hits the muscles fast and slow fibres, because correct me if im wrong but low rep training consists of 20%-30% muscle stimulation, moderate rep and weight consist of 15%-20% muscle stimulation and high rep training consists of a further 20%-30% muscle stimulation.

Another question would be to instead of incorporating all three rep ranges in one workout, would it be better to say do 4weeks of low rep training followed by 4weeks of high rep training and another 4weeks of moderate training

Last edited:
I find that diet has much more of an effect than rep range, if I am going extremely heavy I keep the reps low, however 20 rep squats have worked wonders for me, keep the weight as high as you would for 10 reps but crank out 20 reps. Make sure you have a spotter and a puke bucket on hand.

I like roughly 7-11 reps. Lower like 1-4 reps is too risky for injuries in my opinion.

You can build muscle with a higher rep range just as easily as a lower rep range. Its just more safe.

I heard heavy sets with like 3-4 reps is good because it hits the deeper muscle fibers, but I seem to grow just fine how I do it, and those deep muscle fibers are probably still getting worked.

incorporate all 3

1-4 reps isnt risky , it builds the most strength. if you dont have any strength reps in there your program probably sucks.

Its all about intensity and the weight you use. As long as your straining on your last reps your tearing muscle and doing fine.

At the minute im using all 3 in my workouts and im getting the best workouts that ive ever had. Im getting the best pumps aswel. my muscles feel full and rock hard.

massive said:
At the minute im using all 3 in my workouts and im getting the best workouts that ive ever had. Im getting the best pumps aswel. my muscles feel full and rock hard.

Guys, when you get up to lifting real weight and do 1-3 reps with it weekly, you will not be doing it for long. :)

Im not trying to be a tough guy, im letting you guys know my experience, and my form is picture perfect. Its just that doing real heavy weight, like I mean heavy stuff EVERY week for 1-3 reps, it will not be a lasting thing.

Jusee said:
I heard heavy sets with like 3-4 reps is good because it hits the deeper muscle fibers, but I seem to grow just fine how I do it,.

what are your stats jusee if you don't mind?

I believe in getting stronger to get bigger. To get stronger, I've had success with medium to low reps. Even single reps in some excersices as deadlift.
But I know people who got great results with 20 rep squats too. I think the key is to get stronger and eat big. That makes you grow.

luquillo78 said:
what are your stats jusee if you don't mind?

I am at a level where doing reps for 1-3 are not safe on a regular basis, and when people get there they find that out sooner or later.

I choose not to get into my stats. Its easier like this. No need.

Jusee... you're a bullshitter. 1-3 reps is NOT risky. You're at that level to train that way? prove it.. what about all the PL-ers that train that way? You dont want to show your stats because you dont want to futher prove you have no idea what you're talking about

luquillo78 said:
I believe in getting stronger to get bigger. To get stronger, I've had success with medium to low reps. Even single reps in some excersices as deadlift.
But I know people who got great results with 20 rep squats too. I think the key is to get stronger and eat big. That makes you grow.

this is correct

skarhead1 said:
Jusee... you're a bullshitter. 1-3 reps is NOT risky. You're at that level to train that way? prove it.. what about all the PL-ers that train that way? You dont want to show your stats because you dont want to futher prove you have no idea what you're talking about

im going to eat you! I dont know about power lifters or how often they max out and go that low. For me, this is how it is. I read it in some books that lower reps put your joints and tendons etc at risk. Im not starting a fight over this either.

youre not starting a fight because you know you're wrong. Going heavy gets you big not lifting like a weak queer doing light weight for 8-12 reps every exercise.... Now to prove my point what are your best squat/deadlift and bench attempts? and what is your size and how long have you been training? This will just tell us that you havent learned this yet.

skarhead1 said:
youre not starting a fight because you know you're wrong. Going heavy gets you big not lifting like a weak queer doing light weight for 8-12 reps every exercise.... Now to prove my point what are your best squat/deadlift and bench attempts? and what is your size and how long have you been training? This will just tell us that you havent learned this yet.

No im not wrong man. Low reps done weekly is not good for your joints/tendons. In my experience this is absolutely correct. Anything above 5-6 reps I have no trouble with. Every time I got an injury in my life it was from a max lift for 1 or 2 reps. Im not saying I get an injury every time I max out, im saying every time I got an injury it was from a max. So I let you guys know what I read in books, and from my own life experience.

Now do you lift max weight weekly? If so how are the tendons/joints? Also, have you read anywhere that this is not dangerous for them? Also, if you have never got an injury from maxing out, your weights might be on the light side.

Last edited:
skarhead reply to this. I want to have a discussion about this. Maybe I will learn something. I dont have an ego. Nobody should on here. You feel strongly opposite to me about this so reply.

Thanks. Try to keep it under some control though. If im wrong great. At least I might learn something from you or someone else about this.

i used to lift over 90% weekly when i did wsbb and had no injury problems as i always deloaded or took time off. i have stayed pretty much injury free, and lifting heavy weights you're goign to get a injury here and there -- its part of the game... I dont have any literature to say it but i have real world exprience to know lifting heavy is a)gonna make you bigger b)not dangerous for you

Back