RippedZilla's thread of knowledge

I would argue that HIIRT is more efficient than HIIT in every single way: more calories burnt, higher meta-bolic increase, higher post session fat oxidation AND it helps build muscle - something HIIT doesn't.

So the demand that both HIIT and HIIRT place on the body are the same from a recovery perspective.
The difference is that your only doing HIIT to burn some calories - the same calories that can be burnt by moderate/LISS.
HIIRT on the other hand burns calories and builds muscle - something you cannot get from traditional lifting sessions, or any type of cardio.

Busting your ass to do burn some calories doesn't make sense for a bodybuilder - busting your ass to burn calories AND build mass does :)

I get what you're saying buddy, but I've been doing that many drop sets, super sets, down the racks etc in my normal workouts - I think adding HIIRT would just finish me. I'll just have to decide whether HIIT or LISS is worth throwing in on the periods I'm on a cut.

I'm 43 don't forget! :(

I get what you're saying buddy, but I've been doing that many drop sets, super sets, down the racks etc in my normal workouts - I think adding HIIRT would just finish me. I'll just have to decide whether HIIT or LISS is worth throwing in on the periods I'm on a cut.

I'm 43 don't forget! :(

I think it might require some adaptation of your normal routine to incorporate HIIRT but that's not necessarily a bad thing; change can be good ;)

I.E fewer drop/stripsets on regular lifting days (wouldn't have to eliminate completely) and remember you'll be crushing quite a few during the HIIRT

HIIRT Programme

1x8RM
Rest 20-30 secs
1X2-3 reps
Rest 20-30secs
1x2-3 reps
Rest 20-30 secs
1x2-3 reps
Rest 2-3 minutes

That is 1 total set using the SAME weight throughout (your 8RM).

You will do:
- 3 total sets for legs
- 2 total sets for chest
- 2 total sets for back
An overall total of 7 rest-pause sets.

Ripped,

When you say 3 sets for legs, or 2 sets for chest does that mean 3, or 2 different exercises, one set each? Or, are all the sets for each muscle group one exercise?

Ripped,

When you say 3 sets for legs, or 2 sets for chest does that mean 3, or 2 different exercises, one set each? Or, are all the sets for each muscle group one exercise?

All the sets should be done on 1 exercise per muscle group - I've edited the article to make this clearer.

Last edited:
its not too different from my reverse pyramid routine that i push so much...

remember guys, its about the quality of time not the quantity of time in the gym

its not too different from my reverse pyramid routine that i push so much...

remember guys, its about the quality of time not the quantity of time in the gym

You know 3J, on a tangent I have been thinking about your signature line percentages. I have been wondering if it is really more of an exponential equation. Should it be something like:

(80% Diet + 20% Training) x R x G where R = Recovery Factor and G = Gear Factor

Recovery is driven by rest and sleep. Can be less than 1 if not adequate and even a negative number.

Gear Factor is dependent on compounds and dosages.

You know 3J, on a tangent I have been thinking about your signature line percentages. I have been wondering if it is really more of an exponential equation. Should it be something like:

(80% Diet + 20% Training) x R x G where R = Recovery Factor and G = Gear Factor

Recovery is driven by rest and sleep. Can be less than 1 if not adequate and even a negative number.

Gear Factor is dependent on compounds and dosages.

Tron that is set up for the beginner.. It'd there to make people realize the importance of nutrition.. A bit of an exaggeration but not by much lol

Tron that is set up for the beginner.. It'd there to make people realize the importance of nutrition.. A bit of an exaggeration but not by much lol

You and others here have turned me into a diet disciple. You guys have helped change my life. I am spreading the gospel. :)

Amazing thread!
Can you give us an example of optimal weekly routine to maximize the gains on gear?

Amazing thread!
Can you give us an example of optimal weekly routine to maximize the gains on gear?

The wealth of knowledge on this thread is great.
I would also like an example of an optimal weekly routine.

Sorry for the late response guys :)

I'm planning another article in the future that puts everything together and gives a few examples of optimal routines so I'd like to save my full response for that.
But some basic principles to consider when creating your own programmes:

- Adherence:
How often can you train, what movements do you enjoy, etc - I can create the greatest programme ever but it becomes useless if the client can't stick to it for the long term.

- Volume, intensity & frequency:
For volume see my series on Muscle Specific training but in general I like 80-120 reps total per week for each muscle group.
Intensity should be as high as possible for each rep range but leaving a rep or two in the tank (not until failure).
Each muscle group should be trained 2x week or at least every 5 days.
The traditional bullshit split of training (chest, back, arms, legs, shoulders) is a waste of time since you NEVER need 7 days off per muscle group ESPECIALLY on cycle when your recovery is IMPROVED - its literally complete crap.

Progression:
If your not improving in the gym (more weight, more reps, etc) then you can forget about keeping any of your gains off cycle, if you make any gains at all (you wont as an advanced user).

Exercise selection:
See my series on exercise selection but also remember to pay attention to what works for you - if standard DLs are giving you great muscle gains then by all means keep doing them even if I say they suck, etc.

Rest periods:
As long as you need.
Countless studies have shown rest periods to be irrelevant for muscle growth but in general you want short rest periods for higher rep work (tension via fatigue) and longer rest periods for low reps (tension via mechanical overload).

Tempo:
Lift the weight explosively, lower it with control - done.

There is other stuff that deserves attention especially structuring your programme according to when you blast/cycle to maximise growth, how to permanently avoid plateaus and some advanced techniques (drop sets, block training etc) but they'll have to wait for another time.

If you have anything specific to ask me, or want my input on your current routines, then your welcome to PM me - just be prepared to wait a bit for a detailed response ;)

Last edited:
That's great shit as always Zilla, but damn it's hard to keep that rep range that low "ESPECIALLY" when blasting....You have showed scientific studies sooooo, nothing I can say but, bro science. Looking forward to future articles...

That's great shit as always Zilla, but damn it's hard to keep that rep range that low "ESPECIALLY" when blasting....You have showed scientific studies sooooo, nothing I can say but, bro science. Looking forward to future articles...

That's when you increase the weight! ;)

Definitely looking forward to the next installment Zilla. Lovin' the science being dropped!

Wow...What a thread.Very knowledgeable about the fast twitch/slow twitch fibers.I was reading that back in Runner's World in the 80's and a woman runner volunteered to have a snip of her muscles and sounded painful.They were trying to find her distance.Bodybuilders at the time didn't have much studies but saying slow twitch for the legs.

Well fast forward and we have a host of secrets that includes alot of easier to grow tips ...I'm impressed.

The rest part is true between sets.
Have to slow down your roll.
Like Bench Warren and not putting him down but if he just slows down he could put less effort to grow bigger.

Be Fully recovered to do the next sets/reps.Important!

Starting out fast and light helps early in the cycle when one is going to slow down and go heavy with proper rest during late in cycle will enhance the whole body during a cycle and will help the muscles sculpt better.

Very Knowledgeable thread.I like it ;-)

Since nutrition is my main thing I think its about time I wrote a little bit about it starting with something that SHOULD be common sense by now...

The GI index doesn't matter when it comes to fat loss

Long-term effects of 2 energy-restricted diets differing in glycemic load on dietary adherence, body composition, and metabolism in CALERIE: a 1-y randomized controlled trial

Objective:
To examine the effects of 2 dietary macronutrient patterns with different glycemic loads on adherence to a prescribed regimen of calorie restriction (CR), weight and fat loss, and related variables.

Design:
A randomized controlled trial (RCT) with a high glycemic load (HG) or a low glycemic load (LG) at 30% CR was conducted in 34 healthy overweight adults with a mean age of 35 and body mass index (kg/m2) of 27.6.
All food was provided for 6 mo in diets controlled for confounding variables, and subjects self-administered the plans for 6 additional months.
Primary and secondary outcomes included energy intake measured by doubly labeled water, body weight and fatness, hunger, satiety, and resting meta-bolic rate.

Results:
All groups consumed significantly less energy during CR than at baseline but changes in energy intake, body weight, body fat, and resting meta-bolic rate did not differ significantly between groups.
Both groups ate more energy than provided (eg, 21% and 28% CR at 3 mo and 16% and 17% CR at 6 mo with HG and LG, respectively). Percentage weight change at 12 mo was -8.04 ± 4.1% in the HG group and -7.81 ± 5.0% in the LG group.
There was no effect of dietary composition on changes in hunger, satiety, or satisfaction with the amount and type of provided food during CR.

Conclusions:
These findings provide more detailed evidence to suggest that diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.

My Interpretation

Firstly, let's make sure everyone understands the differences between the glycemic index (GI) and glycemic load (GL) according to the definitions given in the study:
- Glycemic index: the ability of non-fiber carbs to raise blood sugar in a 3 hour period.
- Glycemic load: daily GI x total non-fiber carbs in grams/1000cals

The results of the study itself cannot be argued with because of how tightly controlled all the variables were by the authors over 12 months.
The dietary intake of the participants was micro managed extremely well with all food being provided by the lab for the first 6 months and then a dietician providing individualized plans including menus, portion sizes, food scales, etc. Dietary protein intake was also adequate, unlike most other studies of this nature.
Basically, the results of the study can be taken as FACTS and arguing with them is pretty pointless :)

The high GI diet macros were 60%C/20%P/20%F & the low GI diet was 40%C/30%P/30%F with both groups on a 30% caloric deficit.
The results showed no difference between the groups on hunger, satiety, weight loss or fat loss.
Also, don't read too much into the macros here - being in caloric deficit allows for much more flexibility when it comes to carb & fat consumption compared to being in a surplus.

Now most people will know that there are a bunch of factors that make the GI index completely irrelevant (mixed meals for example) and this study certainly adds to that fact.
None of this should be a surprise to anyone who actually pays attention to nutritional science BUT the most interesting part of the study was that a trend was emerging in the low GI group towards weight re-gain. Here is a quote from the authors:

"Taken together, these findings suggest that reduced energy intake may be somewhat HARDER to sustain with the LG group in the long term".

What makes this finding so interesting is that almost all traditional diets for decades have been based around consuming low GI "healthy" carbs and yet here we are with our society fatter than ever.
Whenever you hire a nutritionist, its a good bet to make that he will give you a list of specific foods you can and can't eat. Its an even better bet that those foods will be low GI or "clean" choices.
And yet this awesome study, along with decades worth of statistics, show that low GI diets simply don't work for long term fat loss & maintenance. Period.

In conclusion:

- Restricting yourself to a low GI diet will not lead to more fat loss.
- Restricting yourself to a low GI diet may lead to the diet & results being harder to maintain over the long term, not easier.
- When it comes to fat loss, the GI index doesn't fucking matter.

Last edited:
Q&A with Zilla Part 1

I have zero time to write a full article so I decided to answer some questions I've gotten over the years instead :)

1) Can T3 be anabolic?

Short answer - No.

Long answer...

T3 itself isn't anabolic, but it can normalize decreased T3 levels that occur with some substances. For example, Deca can reduce bioavailable t3 while Var seems to be able to increase it.
Research has shown that high dose androgens pushes T3 levels down:

Ingestion of androgenic-anabolic steroids induces mild thyroidal impairment in male body builders. - PubMed - NCBI

This is significant because optimal thyroid levels are important for optimum anabolic activity. Optimal T3 levels can help increase GH secretion, upregulate IGF1 receptors and other effects that can maximise your cycle.

BUT, for T3 to facilitate anabolism it must stay in the normal range - too high and it will lead to muscle, strength losses, and rebound fat gain.
IME, unless your willing to have regular blood work done I wouldn't recommend t3 because too many people get the dosing wrong.
You want your free t3 levels to be around 7.0-7.4/pmol/L or 450-480 pg/dL to maximise the benefits on an anabolic cycle.

Again, t3 itself is NOT anabolic, it simply helps to maximise the benefits of an anabolic cycle.

2) How do I protect my liver from damage on cycle?

NAC at 1000-1200mg daily to prevent the damage.

UDCA at 900mg or 13.5mg/kg (whichever is lowest) to repair any damage that may have occurred:

Optimum dose of ursodeoxycholic acid in primary biliary cirrhosis. - PubMed - NCBI

3) What happens if I eat at maintenance with very low/zero protein? Will I lose muscle, gain fat or what?

Interesting question.

The simple answer is yes - if protein intake is REALLY low then even at maintenance you may lose some muscle over a long period of time (months not weeks).

Your body is able to produce all of the non-essential amino acids naturally by utilizing the glucose > atp interaction. This allows your body to resynthesize around 97% of the protein it breaks down.
The missing 3% concerns essential amino acids - your body cannot naturally produce these so some form of protein intake is required (30g or so if your not training, more of you are).

Now because you'll be consuming plenty of carbs, your body won't start burning any muscle for the time being because the preferred energy sources are carbs>fat>protein - in that order.

The problem over the long term is due to the lack of essential aminos from your diet + intense resistance training.
Eventually the amino acids required to repair your muscles after a workout are no longer available. If this continues for months on end, then your body wont have the "tools" necessary to repair your muscles - so you lose it.

So your fat mass wont increase, but your bf% will due to lower lbm - don't mix this up with the "muscle turns to fat" nonsense, that never happens.

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
So much bullshit about insulin, so little time

Its 2016 and yet I still see people across the boards claiming that controlling insulin, not calories, is the key to fat loss.
They will go on & on about how insulin is the only fat storing hormone, timing insulin spikes are important and a bunch of other bullshit that I will conclusively shown to be false in this article.

What is Insulin?

Insulin is a hormone secreted in the pancreas by beta-cells. Its primary function is to regulate energy metabolism by controlling blood glucose levels but it also has a wide variety of other vital functions - zero insulin production would actually cause us to die.

The actions of insulin can be broken down into 3 different time frames:

- Within seconds it causes changes in the cell membranes involved in glucose transport

- Within minutes-to-hours it suppresses catabolic processes and upregulates anabolic enzymes involved in
glycogenesis, protein synthesis & lipogenesis (this is where all the bullshit comes from).

- The slowest effect is the promotion of anabolism via cell replication & mitogenesis.

Insulin is NOT the only fat storage hormone

Now given insulin's anabolic/anti-catabolic role that I highlighted earlier, it would be stupid to see it only as a "fat storage hormone".
While it can prevent fat mobilization by antagonizing things like HSL (hormone-sensitive lipase), this only translates to actual fat gain in the presence of excess calories and it is NOT the only hormone that does this.

ASP (acylation stimulating protein) is a hormone with the PRIMARY function of increasing fat storage - this is the real fat storing hormone.
It achieves this through 3 different mechanisms:

- Increasing diacyglycerol transferase activity = increased fatty acid esterification in adipocytes

- Stimulating glucose transport in preadipocytes

- Inhibiting HSL activity = limited lipolysis

- ASP does all this to increase lipogenesis INDEPENDENT of any insulin increase.

FSP2(fat-specific protein 27) is another compound that can also store fat within the body.
It does this through the promotion of triacylglycerol deposition achieved by binding to lipid droplets within adipocytes, which regulates their enlargement = inhibited lipolysis.
As with ASP earlier, FSP27 expression has been shown to occur INDEPENDENT of insulin activity.

Insulin activity is inferior to caloric balance

To illustrate how irrelevant insulin activity is when it comes to fat gain/loss, here is a brief run down of what the majority of the data, referenced at the end of this article, has shown us:

- Energy restriction improves glycaemic control & insulin metabolism regardless of carb intake.

- Plasma insulin levels decrease alongside weight regardless of dietary macros. Conversely, as weight increases insulin resistance occurs leading to higher insulin levels (so weight gain = insulin issues, NOT insulin issues = weight gain).

- Similar fat loss results among most insulin resistant & insulin sensitive individuals on the same plan.

- Glucose metabolism (impaired vs normal) & insulin response have been shown to be IRRELEVANT for fat loss.

- Despite pharmaceutical intervention, a trial using diazoxide to inhibit insulin secretion in 1 group showed no difference in fat loss, appetite or metabolism vs placebo (subjects were obese & insulin resistant).
So even pharmaceutical companies have realised that there is no money to be made from focusing on insulin for fat loss...let that sink in for a minute or two.

It's also important to consider that the lacklustre long term results of low carb diets on obese/sedentary individuals would be amplified in trained athletes (most AAS users) since they, in general, have better glucose tolerance.

Summary

The role of insulin is oversimplified and the fear of it among many is irrational.
Energy restriction ALONE is enough to improve glycaemic control & insulin metabolism regardless of carb intake.
Caloric changes influence hormonal changes - NOT the other way around.
Obesity can lead to hyperinsulinemia - NOT the other way round.
Fat loss is about calories, not carb intake, insulin levels, etc.

References

The adipocyte as an endocrine cell. - PubMed - NCBI

Adipose tissue as an endocrine organ: impact on insulin resistance. - PubMed - NCBI

Fat-specific protein 27, a novel lipid droplet protein that enhances triglyceride storage. - PubMed - NCBI

Fat-specific protein 27 regulates storage of triacylglycerol. - PubMed - NCBI

Differences in insulin resistance do not predict weight loss in response to hypocaloric diets in healthy obese women. - PubMed - NCBI

Differences in glycaemic status do not predict weight loss in response to hypocaloric diets in obese patients. - PubMed - NCBI

No effect of inhibition of insulin secretion by diazoxide on weight loss in hyperinsulinaemic obese subjects during an 8-week weight-loss diet. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:
Back