Rogaine shed - trying it out

MN87

Hey everyone. Nizoral hasnt been working too well for me and Propecia has some scary sides, so I was thinking of trying Rogaine.

Ive heard its possible to shed when starting out but that scares me alot. Some questions:

- I've been told you are less likely to shed using 2% vs 5%. Would it be possible to start on 2%, get past the shedding phase, and then switch to 5%, thereby bypassing the shedding?

- is it possible to try it on a small patch on skin (even small part of head) to see the spot effects, before commiting to it completely? The point of this would be to assess how bad the shedding would be using spot application. Or, is it inevitible that Rogaine will end up affecting the entire scalp?

Hey everyone. Nizoral hasnt been working too well for me and Propecia has some scary sides, so I was thinking of trying Rogaine.

Ive heard its possible to shed when starting out but that scares me alot. Some questions:

- I've been told you are less likely to shed using 2% vs 5%. Would it be possible to start on 2%, get past the shedding phase, and then switch to 5%, thereby bypassing the shedding?

- is it possible to try it on a small patch on skin (even small part of head) to see the spot effects, before commiting to it completely? The point of this would be to assess how bad the shedding would be using spot application. Or, is it inevitible that Rogaine will end up affecting the entire scalp?

I had a terrible experience with rogaine. My scalp itched constantly and it looked like I had cradles cap my scalp was so screwed up. I decided bald was the style for me. :)

I had a terrible experience with rogaine. My scalp itched constantly and it looked like I had cradles cap my scalp was so screwed up. I decided bald was the style for me. :)
Wow, Im sorry to hear that. Is this a common side effect? Why do you think it happened?

I've been using 5% minoxidil for over a year now. The 2 is for woman as it is too weak for men. Ive had zero skalp issues with 5% (itching, etc). Don't expect miracles - at best it may stop or slow shedding .

Wow, Im sorry to hear that. Is this a common side effect? Why do you think it happened?

Most people I have talked to have had the same experience. Give it a go. Worst case your scalp will itch followed by 3-4 weeks of the worst dandruff you can imagine.

Been using 5% for 6 months. I had only a slightly receding hair line and have always had somewhat fine hair. I started slow, maybe a few times a week and now apply every evening. I have slight itching but not bad at all. I didn't experience any shedding and have seen decent thickening all over. Good luck!

short answer is no. the shed is coused by the increased speed of the telogen phase of the hair follicle wich is triggered by the susbstance itself NOT by the concentration. 2% is less stronger than 5% in ONLY time ACTIVATION,as in, it will take more time to activate the process in the hair follicle ( BOTH SHED, AND REGROWTH ) 5% will make you shed faster but will ALSO effect your growth faster. if is your first time using it, the shed is inevitable since it's a physiological response of the follicles to the new stimulus.

i also would strongly advise against the use of normal rogaine ( the prepared one ) since it's not very effective and also mildly superflous in some of the stuff it contains

ask your doctor to prepare you a personal concution using theese stuff at this dosages : minoxidl at 2% - melatonine 1% - progesterone 1% - hydrocortisone 0,05 % - basic oestrone 0,05 % - transcutol 5% - all in alchool at 180 °

also the substance will effect ONLY the area on wich is putted and absorbed and the close sourraundings. DO NOT use it over all your head if you do not have diffuse thinnig everywere. only use it were it's needed

use once a day in the interested area. in 6 months dependig on the gravity of your hair loss the progression path could be almost entirely halted.

Last edited:
short answer is no. the shed is coused by the increased speed of the telogen phase of the hair follicle wich is triggered by the susbstance itself NOT by the concentration. 2% is less stronger than 5% in ONLY time ACTIVATION,as in, it will take more time to activate the process in the hair follicle ( BOTH SHED, AND REGROWTH ) 5% will make you shed faster but will ALSO effect your growth faster. if is your first time using it, the shed is inevitable since it's a physiological response of the follicles to the new stimulus.

i also would strongly advise against the use of normal rogaine ( the prepared one ) since it's not very effective and also mildly superflous in some of the stuff it contains

ask your doctor to prepare you a personal concution using theese stuff at this dosages : minoxidl at 2% - melatonine 1% - progesterone 1% - hydrocortisone 0,05 % - basic oestrone 0,05 % - transcutol 5% - all in alchool at 180 °

also the substance will effect ONLY the area on wich is putted and absorbed and the close sourraundings. DO NOT use it over all your head if you do not have diffuse thinnig everywere. only use it were it's needed

use once a day in the interested area. in 6 months dependig on the gravity of your hair loss the progression path could be almost entirely halted.

Great info here, thank you. I do have a question though....What happens after 6 months or even a year after using it regularly ? Because in my experience, once I stopped using it, I lost all the regrowth from the Minoxidil.

Great info here, thank you. I do have a question though....What happens after 6 months or even a year after using it regularly ? Because in my experience, once I stopped using it, I lost all the regrowth from the Minoxidil.

that's exactly what happens. minox does not arrest MPB progression it merely slows it, by accellerating the turn over of phases in hair growth cycle by giving more nutrients to the follicles. to a point the progression might appear to be next to nothing, but it's still there.

So not only you will still have the pattern progress if you don't take something to completely shield you against the dht ( like propecia ) but you also gonna have a huge telogen effluvium (diffuse shedding ) if you suddenly stop, becouse after a while the follicle get's somehow "addicted" to the stuff ( in particular to the increased afflux of blood to the scalp and the subsequent increased nutrients ) it's like suddenly you put your hair on a "crash diet" suddenly the follicle get less blood,less nutrients, and the little hair recuperating thanks to the medicine will quickly revert to the atrophied state they were before, PLUS the mpb probably has progressed in the meanwhile.

long story short, using minox it's a lifetime commitment if you actually wan't the resoults to be semi-permanent, and even then in the very long run almost everyone will need a transplant.

it sucks, but that's the only thing you can do with minox.

that's exactly what happens. minox does not arrest MPB progression it merely slows it, by accellerating the turn over of phases in hair growth cycle by giving more nutrients to the follicles. to a point the progression might appear to be next to nothing, but it's still there.

So not only you will still have the pattern progress if you don't take something to completely shield you against the dht ( like propecia ) but you also gonna have a huge telogen effluvium (diffuse shedding ) if you suddenly stop, becouse after a while the follicle get's somehow "addicted" to the stuff ( in particular to the increased afflux of blood to the scalp and the subsequent increased nutrients ) it's like suddenly you put your hair on a "crash diet" suddenly the follicle get less blood,less nutrients, and the little hair recuperating thanks to the medicine will quickly revert to the atrophied state they were before, PLUS the mpb probably has progressed in the meanwhile.

long story short, using minox it's a lifetime commitment if you actually wan't the resoults to be semi-permanent, and even then in the very long run almost everyone will need a transplant.

it sucks, but that's the only thing you can do with minox.

Thanks bro !

Back