rope pulldown ab work..

mister69

My new gym has horrible heavy ab machines so i went back to rope pulldowns.

I set up the rope on the high pulley and kneel down and crunch away head to floor.

Any of you guys like these?

i can never seem to get my form right on these, i fucking hate them.............All i do now is weighted angle sit ups(just made that name up) but regardless is the only exercise i do for abs.............works perfect

rope pulldowns for abs always fuck my back up big time for some reason. regardless of form, it always seems to hurt...

i luv em..just my gyms cable stack doesnt have enough wt...tops out at 140lbs...so i really have to up the reps and cut the rest in almost 1/4's to feel it.

mister69 said:
My new gym has horrible heavy ab machines so i went back to rope pulldowns.

I set up the rope on the high pulley and kneel down and crunch away head to floor.

Any of you guys like these?
been useing them for years . imo the key is just contracting the abs and not useing your weight to do the work , also drawing the elbows in as you go downward hits the abs hard .

like Mister said do them standing it takes the hip flexors out of the move..
nothing wrong with using the hip flexors but make sure you are using ur abs if thats what you are trying to work

Thats all I do for upper abs and serratus. If done correctly, nothing and I mean NOTHING builds the upper abs better. The key is not going to the floor. Stay completely erect under the cable and crunch slightly bending at the upper ab only (about 4 inches max). Hold and squeeze for 5 secs per rep. So during the whole motion, your belly button (and below) never ever moves. It is fixed. Your upper ab development will explode and it only takes 70-80 lbs max to burn em out since your using no body weight to pull it. Only abs.

Not to sell it, but look at my abs in my avatar. Trust me, do it this way and you'll never do a silly useless situp again.

Good luck.

Well, I tryed the regular wsb type standing pulldown abs but those are a no go and my tight right hammie dont like.

Guess my only other option is situps w\weight?

mister69 said:
Guess my only other option is situps w\weight?

Go for endurance with your abs not for weight, adding weight will make your abs thicker, and keeping your abs as lean as possible is the best course of action. Try holding in boat position(a yoga position) for as long as you can this will tighten up the abs and help to get that well defined six pack.

I LOVE these!

The key to these is finding the proper weight....for example, when I set the pin to 100lbs I can do countless reps without feeling it. Bump it up to 130, and my abs catch on fire. Another key is like Bula said, to really squeeze the rep and do the reps continuously to keep all the tension on the abs!

Back