Roy jones on Floyd Mayweather vs. UFC

You dont see people who turn 22 and then decide right then and there they want to start training to be a pro boxer, and then decide right then and there that theywant to be one of the greatest boxers ever. That doesnt happen, but in mma, for example rich franklin who started training mma seriously at 22, he goes on and becomes the middle weight champ for 3 or 4 years or however long it was. I would rather watch mma i agree with you, but it takes more talent tobe a pro boxer than it does with mma.

More or less your explanation is saying that there is more "competition" in boxing then MMA, which is true, 100% agreed.. boxing has been around longer and has a bigger "pool" of individuals.. but when referring to "talent", I define that by the individual and not the actual sport. So yes, there are more boxers then mma fighters hence MORE talent in that pool but to say one sport takes more talent then the other doesn't hold water with me. sorry.. just my opinion.

His whole argument is stupid because he's using guys like Matt Hughes are Rick Franklin who are now obsolete in the sport of mma, and are getting blown out of the water by the next generation of fighters. Hughes and Franklin are phenomenal athletic specimines but they are not complete mixed martial artists. There is no boxer more talented than Anderson Silva, there is no boxer more talented than BJ Penn. Their mastery of striking and submission grappling blows away the talent level of any boxer you want to bring up.

His whole argument is stupid because he's using guys like Matt Hughes are Rick Franklin who are now obsolete in the sport of mma, and are getting blown out of the water by the next generation of fighters. Hughes and Franklin are phenomenal athletic specimines but they are not complete mixed martial artists. There is no boxer more talented than Anderson Silva, there is no boxer more talented than BJ Penn. Their mastery of striking and submission grappling blows away the talent level of any boxer you want to bring up.

Yes, and i talk about next generation fighters and about how the sport of mma is evolving. God. There is no boxer more talented than anderson silva? Id lay a million on that, and bj penn. lol. Mayweather would knock bj penn out if it was striking only. And we all know that, cause that is all boxers do, all they do is use their hands. But MoM wont believe it cause he doesnt want to

Why would I care if BJ would lose a boxing match? BJ would destroy Floyd in mma. What does that prove? That they play two different sports?

Why would I care if BJ would lose a boxing match? BJ would destroy Floyd in mma. What does that prove? That they play two different sports?

I didnt say "boxing match" i said a fight involving "striking only" it is obvious that you dont have your facts straight, and are confused if you think bj penn has better hands than floyd mayweather.

I didnt say "boxing match" i said a fight involving "striking only" it is obvious that you dont have your facts straight, and are confused if you think bj penn has better hands than floyd mayweather.

Ummm. I think a fight that involves only striking is called a boxing match. Or a kick boxing match, but since neither guy throws leg kicks... it would be called a boxing match.

Dude, NO ONE in here is saying any MMA guy has better hands than Floyd Mayweather. Who's posts are you reading. However, EVERYONE is saying that BJ would win by way of murder if they FOUGHT! Ya know, in a fight.

I think Tiger Woods could beat Kobe Bryant at 18 hols of golf. OMG Kobe is a weak competitor!!

Ummm. I think a fight that involves only striking is called a boxing match. Or a kick boxing match, but since neither guy throws leg kicks... it would be called a boxing match.

Dude, NO ONE in here is saying any MMA guy has better hands than Floyd Mayweather. Who's posts are you reading. However, EVERYONE is saying that BJ would win by way of murder if they FOUGHT! Ya know, in a fight.

All i am saying is that it takes more talent to box than mma, right now.

The best response i have is you cant be 22 and decide you want to become a good, elite pro boxer, but in mma you can become a champ. The facts are there MoM. The sport of mma will evolve and there will be a day in the future where you cant do that anymore, but obviously you can still be a top contender or champ in the ufc, and boxing you cannot. Its that simple

thing about all this boxer vs mma stuff is:
someday a boxer will cross over, and we'll see.

I can't wait.

There have been many. Thanks for stopping into the mma forum.

I know some boxers have crossed over. But I mean a top boxer. Like a Mayweather. That's the type of fight I'm waiting to see. It probably won't happen until the money is bigger though.

I know some boxers have crossed over. But I mean a top boxer. Like a Mayweather. That's the type of fight I'm waiting to see. It probably won't happen until the money is bigger though.

At this point in time the top boxers are making more money boxing. Why would they switch over? They have spent their lives boxing. People don't usually switch from one sport to another when they are well paid professionals in the first sport. Now that mma has eclipsed boxing, most of the new generation of fighters that would have become boxers will go into mma.

I have yet to see a mma fighter doie of severe head trauma due to repeated blows to the head.
Boxing is a bruTAL TECHNICAL SPORT.
No mma can stand with a good boxer.
If a boxer is evasive enough a mma has no chance.
Ray Mercer is a bad example he is a headcase and washed up fighter.

I have yet to see a mma fighter doie of severe head trauma due to repeated blows to the head.
Boxing is a bruTAL TECHNICAL SPORT.
No mma can stand with a good boxer.
If a boxer is evasive enough a mma has no chance.
Ray Mercer is a bad example he is a headcase and washed up fighter.

MMA guys aren't going to be able to box with boxers, but in a stand up fight including kicks, knees, elbows, the boxer would have no chance.

MMA guys aren't going to be able to box with boxers, but in a stand up fight including kicks, knees, elbows, the boxer would have no chance.
A kickboxer won't have achance with a boxer kicking or not.......boxers are great at coreopraphing punches and kicks.
Ask my friend STEVE mOLITOR.....HE TRAINS WITH tAI BOXERS AND KICKBOXERS...HE SAYS HE NEVER WOULD GET HIT WITH PUNCHES OR KICKS.....

Back