Rubber stopper chunks in homebrew dangerous?

I've been using 30 ML vials for my homebrew. By the time a 30 ML vial gets low, it seems like there are always stopper chunks floating in there. Sometimes they are so tiny that they look like dust and I end up drawing them into the syringe.

I've taken more than one shot that had a particle in it and nothing happened.

1) is this safe?
2) if not, what do you do then, use 10ML vials?

I guess your drawing with an 18g or something? I never get chunks but I draw with a 23 guage.

I would say it is dangerous because if you get one of those stuck in you that's an infection waiting to happen.

outlawtas2 said:
I guess your drawing with an 18g or something? I never get chunks but I draw with a 23 guage.

I would say it is dangerous because if you get one of those stuck in you that's an infection waiting to happen.

I also draw with a 23 guage, I didn't like the idea of rubber floating around in my muscle. I also chose 10ml vials so there replaced quicker less chance of rubber and also other contamination.

Lucky13 said:
I also draw with a 23 guage, I didn't like the idea of rubber floating around in my muscle. I also chose 10ml vials so there replaced quicker less chance of rubber and also other contamination.
I actually don't think it would be harmful to you.....but I agree with Lucky and Outlaw....better safe than sorry and I too wouldn't want rubber floating around in my muscle.

the smallest bit of rubber can cause a huge infection. if the body recognizes it as a foreign substance its going to want it out. and unfortunately it has nowhere to go. if I ever see rubber in my vials I always snag it wirh a 18g and get it out or if worst comes to worst filter it all again.

most likely your not putting your needle in directly straight, and this is why its happening. even a slight angle can nick the side and leave some rubber in there. also some reseach supply companies stoppers are kind of brittle and when drawing with a 18 can actually push a small piece in.
be very carefull with this man.

do you guys think it would be ok to inject with a 25 gauge maybe twice till i get some more 23's

gogetter said:
do you guys think it would be ok to inject with a 25 gauge maybe twice till i get some more 23's

Inject or draw? I always inject with 25 g. They are the best. They keep you from injecting to fast and are painless. I draw with 23g I believe.

hey topvega. i would be drawing and shooting with a 25g needle. i usually use 23 1.5 but ran out and got a couple 25 1 inch from a friend. i know its not much of a difference but i just want to make sure it will do the job.
thanks

gogetter said:
hey topvega. i would be drawing and shooting with a 25g needle. i usually use 23 1.5 but ran out and got a couple 25 1 inch from a friend. i know its not much of a difference but i just want to make sure it will do the job.
thanks

yeah man, unless your very fat you don't need more than a 1 inch needle for an IM injection...

gogetter said:
thanks
yeah I only use 1 inch 25g. I am lean so I even do glutes with them. Once you try 25g you might not want to go back to 23. I love them.

Put your gear in 10ml vials. Think of how many times you gotta stick a needle thru the stopper to drain 30ml of juice. any size needle is gonna eventually disentigrate the stopper.

I've hb'd into 100ml 50ml and 30ml vials...

And I've learned...

1. Never use a vial over 20ml for multiuse purposes...

2. If your brewing more then that, then simply transfer to more usable 20 and perferbly 10ml vials.

3. Draw with a 20g it's just faster then a 23 but doesn't cause major damage, and never use a 18g, cause it's a straw capable of poking holes in rubber.

If you follow those rules, you'll never have a rubber chunk floating around in your gear. And not only that, the larger the vial you use, the more likely over time it may get contaminated by not only rubber, but other substance organic or worse... So each time you use a 10ml vial, is like opening a fresh bag of cheesies... yum yum.

Back