Saturated receptors question

gabegabeson

If someone decides to use low doses of maybe a stack of 2 or maybe 3 steroids year round with on/off short breaks every few months how long would it take before a person's receptors become saturated and cause the anabolic effects of steroids to no longer effective? I know that the receptors would no longer be fresh and the steroids would not be as effective as someone who has virgin receptors but when would it come to the point that using gear would pretty much be pissing your money away?

gabegabeson said:
If someone decides to use low doses of maybe a stack of 2 or maybe 3 steroids year round with on/off short breaks every few months how long would it take before a person's receptors become saturated and cause the anabolic effects of steroids to no longer effective? I know that the receptors would no longer be fresh and the steroids would not be as effective as someone who has virgin receptors but when would it come to the point that using gear would pretty much be pissing your money away?

There is no such thing as receptor saturation. Our bodies make millions of new receptors a day.

The loss of the "anabolic effect" that you are referring to has nothing to do with the actual anabolic effect of the steroid. You are referring to the slowing or the stopping of the gains.

This happens for a few reasons. 1. Genetic limitations...we are only able to grow so big. If we didnt have genetic limitations we could all be Ronnie Coleman. 2. Diet...the more muscle we put on the more we need to increase our food intake to continue to grow. We stop growing in a cycle because we can no longer keep increasing our food intake because we can't eat anymore or our genetic make up starts working against us.

So there is no such thing as AR saturation.

LAWNSAVER said:
There is no such thing as receptor saturation. Our bodies make millions of new receptors a day.

The loss of the "anabolic effect" that you are referring to has nothing to do with the actual anabolic effect of the steroid. You are referring to the slowing or the stopping of the gains.

This happens for a few reasons. 1. Genetic limitations...we are only able to grow so big. If we didnt have genetic limitations we could all be Ronnie Coleman. 2. Diet...the more muscle we put on the more we need to increase our food intake to continue to grow. We stop growing in a cycle because we can no longer keep increasing our food intake because we can't eat anymore or our genetic make up starts working against us.

So there is no such thing as AR saturation.
Exactly !!

Interesting. Could you please explain a little about receptor downgrading? Is it a myth in your opinion?

Jimmykick said:
Interesting. Could you please explain a little about receptor downgrading? Is it a myth in your opinion?
I haven't learned about this specificially, but if it follows suit w/ the rest of similar body functions, I would say it's a myth due to the exact reason Lawnsaver stated above. Your body produces millions of new receptors on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure this rate would decline w/ age, but not because of usage.

If (general) receptor downgrading were true, your muscle's ability to contract, for example, would be severely inhibited. Everytime your muscle twitches, thousands-millions of receptors are used to produce action potential, therefore inducing a contraction.

This is just my speculation though. My example may be invalid since the receptors I mentioned are membrane-bound and streroid receptors are intracellular.

If (general) receptor downgrading were true, your muscle's ability to contract, for example, would be severely inhibited. Everytime your muscle twitches, thousands-millions of receptors are used to produce action potential, therefore inducing a contraction.

There's a difference between nervous signals and receptors.

Receptors in this case are androgen receptors which do not contribute to a Excitatory or Inhibitory Nervous impulse. Nervous impulses are saltatory in nature.

Anyway, Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) that up your estrogen are known to upgrade the Androgen receptor. The downplay of anabolism as seen in a stagnation in weight gain with prolonged use of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) is due to limiting factors such as myostatin interplay, the inability of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) to further enlarge existing muscle cells as they are already in a enlarged state, the lack of IGF secretion enough to maximise the anabolic effect, high estrogen level which inhibit muscle damage etc.

Lawnsaver made some valid points, but did not mention that there is a powerful hormonal balancing act your body plays. Many times gains are NOT limited by diet or genetics, you just stop growing on the gear your doing - simple as that. You either need to switch drugs, come off, or increase your dose of said drugs to continue growing. That seems to be the sour truth that no one wants to hear around here lately.

DougoeFre5h said:
Lawnsaver made some valid points, but did not mention that there is a powerful hormonal balancing act your body plays. Many times gains are NOT limited by diet or genetics, you just stop growing on the gear your doing - simple as that. You either need to switch drugs, come off, or increase your dose of said drugs to continue growing. That seems to be the sour truth that no one wants to hear around here lately.

That may well be true for the advanced trainee, but not so much for the average recreational lifter that frequents this board, and that seems more like what some lose sight of around here.

I don't think you'd go recommending to someone aged 23, on their third cycle, who complained about stopping growing after 6 weeks on 750mg/week of testosterone, to up their dosage without first looking at the more obvious aspects like physical stats, diet, training, rest, etc.

I do understand what you're saying, but we gotta keep it in perspective as well....:D

True true, and you know as well as I that many (too many) people use drugs as a crutch for poor diet and traning habits. My statements were NOT to those people!!

Back