shirted bench press?

pretty ricky

family man
how much does a shirt actually assist in your lift?how heavy should you be able to go before the use of a shirt?why use one in the first place?

how much does a shirt actually assist in your lift?
Who knows, lets say nothing to 200lb.

how heavy should you be able to go before the use of a shirt?why use one in the first place?
If your not a competitive powerlifter don't bother (or have severe problems with your sholders).

/Bruce

Bruce is on the money. If you don't plan on getting on the platform, don't worry about it.

pretty ricky said:
yeah i was thinking more along the lines of if you cant lift it raw then don't lift it at all!

nah thats not true-i no my shirt is higher than my raw BUT
if you look through my journal youll see that i am seeking to increase my shirt bench even if it makes my raw bench go down which i think it has

i do everything in my shirt groove even when doing raw work..i was never a great bencher and im still not ive hit 405 raw touch and go but solid rep..

if you arent going to compete i wouldnt use one just because it is completely different than a raw bench that one would use for aesthetic or even raw strength purposes

to answer your initial question a shirt will give someone 0-300lbs depending on experience

is there any kind of shirt made to provide support to the shoulders and elbows. not so much to help increase the lift but to keep everything tight and warm. i use adjustable elbow sleeves now and it makes a big difference. my elbows dont hurt as much after my max lifts.

blackjack said:
is there any kind of shirt made to provide support to the shoulders and elbows. not so much to help increase the lift but to keep everything tight and warm. i use adjustable elbow sleeves now and it makes a big difference. my elbows dont hurt as much after my max lifts.

this goes for any type of gear: the bigger it is the less support you will get the tighter it is the harder it is to touch/reach depth and the more support you will have..

a shirt wont really help out the elbows but an oversized shirt could help protect the shoulders..I think Dave Tate actually used a big shirt and cut the sleeves off whenver he did "raw" work due to shoulder problems

blackbeard said:
this goes for any type of gear: the bigger it is the less support you will get the tighter it is the harder it is to touch/reach depth and the more support you will have..

a shirt wont really help out the elbows but an oversized shirt could help protect the shoulders..I think Dave Tate actually used a big shirt and cut the sleeves off whenver he did "raw" work due to shoulder problems

this is what i was looking for. something for the shoulders. especially in the winter they just feel stiff sometimes.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that bodybuilders ever wear shirts? I mean they wear very baggy clothes so one might never know from just observing.

You would know unless the shirt was worthless. My shirt was loose, and at best it looked like I was masturbating while I walked, at worst Frankenstein.

Mudge said:
You would know unless the shirt was worthless. My shirt was loose, and at best it looked like I was masturbating while I walked, at worst Frankenstein.
LMFAO! Thanks for the visual. :dance2:

I used to see guys using these all the time in high school power lifting, and they still weren't placing when they were competing with us that weren't using the shirt. I still kick myself in the nuts for never getting a video of these guys puttin the shirt on and takin it off....someone needs to get a damn clip up. We're talkin 4-5 grown men pickin a high schooler 2-3 feet off the ground tryin to get his shirt off, funniest damn thing i've ever seen.

Mine wasn't nearly that tight either, as long as I had one person to help me it was just a matter of a minute to maybe 90 seconds to have it on, be belted, and ready to roll.

This was after some experience getting it positioned the way I like it.

Mudge said:
Mine wasn't nearly that tight either, as long as I had one person to help me it was just a matter of a minute to maybe 90 seconds to have it on, be belted, and ready to roll.

This was after some experience getting it positioned the way I like it.

nice atavar by the way........

the guys I'm talkin about at our meets were average size teenagers and it looked like they were tryin to put on a toddler size under armour shirt. they couldn't put their arms down, and looked like all their shit was being squeezed out of their head, kinda funny if you ask me. and they still weren't benchin over 250.

Back