skipping barbell bench press for 8 weeks due to injury

spiderpig

I'm not a bodybuilder!
I have seriously fu**ed up my shoulder! & barbell bench press hurts like a bitch so I'm skipping it for about another 4 weeks, I'm doing incline only and flys with dumbbels, im going light too, a weight i can do about 25 times because again if i go heavy my shoulder hurts so bad!

on another note, if i skip it for another 4 weeks till hopefully im recovered how much strength am i going to lose, i already skipped it for 3 weeks. I'm just going light now for chest and shoulders.

Well, it seems you lost almost all of your bench when you hurt your shoulder. Now laying off of it is just the first part of your recovery. Try not to think of the atrophy, think of the repairs your body is doing. You've got to get that thing healthy again so you can start to build strength back.

So, of course I don't know how long it'll take you to get your bench back 100%, but if you do you won't have lost any strength -just time.

Just to keep my mind heathy and keep me from doing stupid shit in these situations I try to set a goal in time to full recovery and decide how much of that is best spent in full layoff mode. It's the most important part of the recovery process -it just sucks.

I've hurt my shoulder on barbell benchpress, along with about 5 other guys at the gym I workout at. Seems like a pretty common thing with shoulder injuries and barbell, what me and my buddy did (we both injured our shoulders the same week on barbell) was take a week off from the gym so our bodies could heal up and rest, then switch to dumbbell exercises for a while until our shoulders healed up, just don't over do it last thing you want is to damage it to the point where you need surgery.

both my labrums are torn and heavy bench really started to kill. switched to hammer strength machines for awhile and now am getting back to dumb bells. probably will not hit bench again.

Back