----Sleep Apnea Sufferers----

PresTex

Hey guys,

After dealing with serious issues with my testosterone for about a year now, I became interested in finding out the underlying causes to my issues. In retrospect, I should have done this before going on TRT as I am only 23 years old. But the potential damage to my HPTA is done so I am not going to worry about that now. Back to my point though, I went and had a sleep study done as I have struggled with sleep for a long time. I am always tired, can't get enough sleep, snore very loud, and stop breathing according to my girlfriend. So after getting the results of my sleep study, it is confirmed I have obstructive sleep apnea with interruptions in my sleep happening around 15 times an hour and oxygen levels getting down around 80%. From here I am supposed to go in for the titration study and get a CPAP machine. However, I am struggling with this idea. I in no way want to be dependent on a machine for sleep, hate having things on my face, and cannot sleep on my back so sleeping on my side/belly will be difficult with a mask. I am tempted to talk to my doctor about foregoing CPAP therapy and taking steps surgically to try and fix this. I have done quite a bit of reading and there are quite a few people who believe surgery is not worth it, then you have some who have had great success. So I am struggling with what to do and was curious if anyone else on this board struggle with sleep apnea and what your experiences have been. And if anyone has any advice I would love to hear it.

Hey guys,

After dealing with serious issues with my testosterone for about a year now, I became interested in finding out the underlying causes to my issues. In retrospect, I should have done this before going on TRT as I am only 23 years old. But the potential damage to my HPTA is done so I am not going to worry about that now. Back to my point though, I went and had a sleep study done as I have struggled with sleep for a long time. I am always tired, can't get enough sleep, snore very loud, and stop breathing according to my girlfriend. So after getting the results of my sleep study, it is confirmed I have obstructive sleep apnea with interruptions in my sleep happening around 15 times an hour and oxygen levels getting down around 80%. From here I am supposed to go in for the titration study and get a CPAP machine. However, I am struggling with this idea. I in no way want to be dependent on a machine for sleep, hate having things on my face, and cannot sleep on my back so sleeping on my side/belly will be difficult with a mask. I am tempted to talk to my doctor about foregoing CPAP therapy and taking steps surgically to try and fix this. I have done quite a bit of reading and there are quite a few people who believe surgery is not worth it, then you have some who have had great success. So I am struggling with what to do and was curious if anyone else on this board struggle with sleep apnea and what your experiences have been. And if anyone has any advice I would love to hear it.

sorry to hear about your sleep issues tex, my father has severe sleep apnea and i have seen the dificulties it has brought him first(second??) hand.

interesting perspective and a lot of thought provoking ideas provided in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF24xmJQK1k

Once you get used to the machine it's really not so bad. I can sleep fine on my side if I just crank the mask down tight.

It won't kill you to go a night without it every now and then. I was worried about camping and traveling, but I went for years without so a night now and then won't kill me I don't think.

I too wish I had known about this and addressed it before TRT but what can you do?

Are you overweight OP? If so, you may be able to lose the CPAP once you get the weight off. I have both kinds of apnea, so I've just learned to live with the mask, and role play as Darth Vader putting the "force" into the wife. ;)

Also I feel fucking awesome when I wake up now.

Well at least I know there is hope. Sick of feeling like shit every morning.

Are you overweight OP? If so, you may be able to lose the CPAP once you get the weight off. I have both kinds of apnea, so I've just learned to live with the mask, and role play as Darth Vader putting the "force" into the wife. ;)

Around 5'10", 235 and 20-25% BF. Definitely not lean but I wouldn't say I'm fat. Just do a lot of lifting and very little cardio. Which I'm working on. Gonna try to get leaner and see if that helps some. But I'm glad to hear y'all are dealing with masks without issue...And that they aren't too "limiting"

Well at least I know there is hope. Sick of feeling like shit every morning.

Around 5'10", 235 and 20-25% BF. Definitely not lean but I wouldn't say I'm fat. Just do a lot of lifting and very little cardio. Which I'm working on. Gonna try to get leaner and see if that helps some. But I'm glad to hear y'all are dealing with masks without issue...And that they aren't too "limiting"

Dropping down to sub-15% body fat reduced my OSA significantly. Unfortunately, as I also have a brain that just likes to forget to breathe - I'm gonna be reppin' the dark side for years to come.

I've read that the surgery only works for certain kinds of OSA, and if it's just soft tissue obstruction when your palate is in the right position - it may not do anything. Worth looking into though!

Dropping down to sub-15% body fat reduced my OSA significantly. Unfortunately, as I also have a brain that just likes to forget to breathe - I'm gonna be reppin' the dark side for years to come.

I've read that the surgery only works for certain kinds of OSA, and if it's just soft tissue obstruction when your palate is in the right position - it may not do anything. Worth looking into though!

I would love to be sub 15%. Im currently two weeks in to my cut so we'll see what happens. I have that invincible belly fat though so we'll see what happens. Sleep issues are making things difficult though. Hard to find motivation to run when you just wanna nap as soon as you get home :sleep:

Well it looks like my tonsils are creating most of the issues as well as some other soft tissue so I'm hoping theres a chance surgery will help me. If not then it looks like ill be joining you and crossing over to the dark side.

I'm a dentist so I know a bit about sleep apnea. Yeah often obesity can be a huge contributing factor so just shedding the pounds can make a world of difference. If you have mild to moderate sleep apnea, an oral device that repositions your jaw in a more forward position while you sleep can be effective option to the CPAP.

Also there are many sleep hygiene factors to consider that can affect how well you sleep. (light in the room, temperature, viewing electronic devices late at night....)

Back