some funny thoughts by Tate

blackbeard said:
you killed my question to frosty..but thats cool ill type it over..it was getting out of hand!!

frosty-
i have a chin assist machine at my gym..are you supposed to kneel on it or stand? when kneeling and using the stack it is still to light..so ive been hitting reg bw chins but im struggling..should i stand on the chin assist, would that make them harder?

To be honest, I don't have much experience with the machines. I always thought you kneeled on them, too.

You could try standing on it if it's possible.

The other option is to somehow prop up a leg and just do normal chins. Maybe set one leg on a chair, either behind or in front of you. This will take some weight off and should allow you to do more chins. Or if you have a training partner you could have them hold one of your ankles behind you. This works pretty good for people that can do chins, just not a lot.

Not sure if that was very helpful :(

blackbeard said:
you killed my question to frosty..but thats cool ill type it over..it was getting out of hand!!

frosty-
i have a chin assist machine at my gym..are you supposed to kneel on it or stand? when kneeling and using the stack it is still to light..so ive been hitting reg bw chins but im struggling..should i stand on the chin assist, would that make them harder?

Depends on the machine. If it has a large pad with knee-shaped indentations, you are meant to kneel. The Gravitron assisted pullup machine is an exaple of that type. If the machine has a retractable crossbar with a textured coating, you are meant to stand on it.

And the more weight you select, the more it assists you. If you only need a little assistance, you just pin up a few plates.

thanks frosty that helps..

Mr Db thanks too i was under the impression your somehow replacing the weight of your legs!! lol im gonna try with less weight see if that does the trick..

thanks both

blackbeard said:
thanks frosty that helps..

Mr Db thanks too i was under the impression your somehow replacing the weight of your legs!! lol im gonna try with less weight see if that does the trick..

thanks both

No, the idea of assisted pullups is that the machine pushes you up. It's for people who can't do a bodyweight pullup on their own. You only use as much assistance as you need in order to complete the reps.

OK, I know I had a couple of words with that dude, but things must have gotten really bad if jcp2 had to delete his threads. DAmn!!

Anyway, blackie, i agree with Frosty on this one too. I used a box when I first started to do BW chins. You can just rest your toes on it enough to give you a boost. Most of it is physcological, but it does work. Check it out and let us know how it works.

RJH8541 said:
OK, I know I had a couple of words with that dude, but things must have gotten really bad if jcp2 had to delete his threads. DAmn!!

oh my ! and just when we were starting to get to know each other !

jcp2 said:
I just deleted the shit out of this post, sorry if i deleted any informative posts, but i doubt it. Cut the shit out, this is not the place for those kind of insults. If anyone has a problem with me editing this, pm me.

So, I come here after a week to find our discussion entirely edited ............ They were just a couple of pleasanteries - nothing to warrant complete deletion of RJH's , PB's and my comments.

My discussion with PB was a worthy debate. And it still stands.

Last edited:
i missed the last comments. they were gone when i returned. just as well, i feel bad about arguing with you. i applogize for my part.

This forum is about training, not taking shots at each other. The majority of that thread was insults. Very rarelly do i edit a thread, if you have a problem with it or me feel free to take it up with biggie and tx.

RJH8541 said:

Anyway, blackie, i agree with Frosty on this one too. I used a box when I first started to do BW chins. You can just rest your toes on it enough to give you a boost. Most of it is physcological, but it does work. Check it out and let us know how it works.
thanks to mr Db i figured out the chin assist machine lol..see i always think more is better lol..

anyway i did 4 sets of chins today on the chin assist i think with 40 or 45 lbs of assistance all 10's last set was 8..why struggle with BW chins bad form..this other guy next to me was dong bw chins barely getting his chin up to the bar for like 1-2 reps.seems pointless i get much better strength gains with 3-5 reps and better size in the 5-8 rep range..

My advice to anyone who has a chin assist machine and striggles to get 5 good reps with BW is to leave your ego at the door and use the machine..im gonna work my way up.. my goal is to strap 2 45's and do 5 reps..if i get no results im gonna find frosty and bitch slap him lol!!!:D

blackbeard said:
thanks to mr Db i figured out the chin assist machine lol..see i always think more is better lol..

anyway i did 4 sets of chins today on the chin assist i think with 40 or 45 lbs of assistance all 10's last set was 8..why struggle with BW chins bad form..this other guy next to me was dong bw chins barely getting his chin up to the bar for like 1-2 reps.seems pointless i get much better strength gains with 3-5 reps and better size in the 5-8 rep range..

My advice to anyone who has a chin assist machine and striggles to get 5 good reps with BW is to leave your ego at the door and use the machine..im gonna work my way up.. my goal is to strap 2 45's and do 5 reps..if i get no results im gonna find frosty and bitch slap him lol!!!:D

yeah but he wont feel it as you will be a weakling if you cant do chinups. :eek:

pullinbig said:
i missed the last comments. they were gone when i returned. just as well, i feel bad about arguing with you. i applogize for my part.

well, the essence of my post was : respect is a two way street.......... but, let's put all this behind us. I apologize as well for my earlier comments regarding that kid.

As you know, PL/BB is not my forte. I'm a PhD student in Business and I teach Fin Economics and Mathematics. Working out is something I do for fun and keeping fit. And I'm here primarily to learn from the senior PLs/BBs and contribute whenever I can.
Let me also mention that I have learnt a considerable amount from yourself and others senior members on this forum.

Rgds,
T

Toranaga said:
well, the essence of my post was : respect is a two way street.......... but, let's put all this behind us. I apologize as well for my earlier comments regarding that kid.

As you know, PL/BB is not my forte. I'm a PhD student in Business and I teach Fin Economics and Mathematics. Working out is something I do for fun and keeping fit. And I'm here primarily to learn from the senior PLs/BBs and contribute whenever I can.
Let me also mention that I have learnt a considerable amount from yourself and others senior members on this forum.

Rgds,
T

come here and give me a hug you big galoot. :D

blackbeard said:

I started with pushups and chinups in my early teens . hooked up one of those bars on my door frame. Used to do 5-6 sets of 20-25 reps ......... come to think of it, that stuff gave me an excellent base for weight -training.

I still do them, thought I can manage only 15 reps at slightly over 250. Still gives me a pump like you wouldn't believe - I'm exploding out of my tank-top. Also I do chest later, so its awesome as a supersetting exercise as well.

If I were you, I'd forget the machine for now. Get your form right and do as many as you can. Just keep increasing the reps every week or so. Worked for me.

RJH8541 said:
See, we can all get along can't we? Such love at this board!!lol

we'll get along even better if you can throw Madine in the mix :D
Promise I'll show her a good time . scout's honor :D

Back