SP's on/off-season log

Weight 234

Heavier back session with my training partner after work

Thu - back/abs/calves

unsupported hanging leg raise - four sets of 15
+++
superset rope crunch - 15 reps after each set of leg raises
+++
superduperset standing calf raise - four sets of 15 with a hard flex at the top of each and as much stretch as possible at the bottom

wide/neutral-grip pulldown - four or five sets here, 10-12 reps with increasing weight to warm up

rack pull - went heavier than I should've here and did something to one of my front ribs...four sets of five with 495->585lbs on the bar

one-arm DB row - four sets, 12 reps each slightly increasing weight on each while keeping good form

chest-supported row - used a reverse/yates-grip with moderate weight, three sets
+++
superset widegrip pullup - bodyweight, about 8 reps (to failure) after each set of rows

DB shrug - three sets of 15-20 reps with a 2-3 sec flex/hold at the top of each

cardio - 30mins walk outside at lunch

Weight 234

Nothing much to report, weather was nice but work was busy/long so I didn't get a chance to go outside other than to smoke

Fri - chest/delts/calves

rear delt/reverse pec dec - four sets, pyramiding weight up for 20/16/12/10 reps approximately

side lateral DB raise - four sets also, one lighter 20 rep set then 15/12/10 reps with big DBs

flat press-flye - four sets here, one light feeder set then three heavy ones in the 8-10 rep range

HSPL incline press - four sets, with a triple dropset on the final set

HSPL decline press - three sets, all heavy working sets in the 8-10 rep range as well

pec dec - four sets of 10-12 reps with a hard squeeze at full contraction on each rep
+++
superset wide pushup - bodyweight to failure after each set on the pec dec

cybex seated shoulder press machine - three sets, only needed a few plates here after being so fatigued

Weight 236

Tough day, frustrated that I'd worked the stat holiday (friday) and still had to go in to unfuck some shit at work on what should've been a long weekend

Sat - legs (skipped calves)

adductor/abductor machine warmup - three higher rep sets as usual
+++
standing one-legged hamstring curl - three sets as well, a bit lower reps/heavier weight to start getting some work done

highbar ATG squat - had some pretty intense pain here due to sore rib(s) from the rack pulls the other day but had a little more success than last leg day

8 reps x 135lbs
8 x 225
8 x 315
6+1 x 405...not spotted, but paused for a good deep breath before the seventh rep and didn't quite feel like I had the 8th+ in me =\

prone hamstring curl - did these one leg at a time, four sets of 15 reps per leg

seated leg extension - three sets of 10 with a hard flex/squeeze at the top of every rep
+++
superset sissy squat - bodyweight to failure, approximately 8 reps as usual after the leg extensions

SLDL - four sets of 10 reps, nothing fancy but not quite locking out at the top to keep tension on the muscle for the entire set

Weight 237

Busy day with errands, meal prep, visiting a friend but managed to fit in a quick arms session in the afternoon

Sun - arms/abs/calves

supinated DB biceps curl - about five sets, pyramiding weight up...reps started high in the 20+ range and ended with 6x60lbs per arm I believe which is pretty heavy for me
+++
overhead one-arm DB extension - approximately the same reps/weight per arm after each set of DB curls

CGBP - went heavy on this as I have been lately, nothing overly impressive but I did get three plates for a decent 6 reps on two consecutive sets

unsupported hanging leg raise - three sets of 15
+++

HSPL tricep pushdown machine - three sets of 12-15 reps each, heavy enough that I needed to "seatbelt" myself down
+++
superset HSPL preacher curl - one arm at a time, three sets of 8-10 reps per arm

That was it, a fairly short one as I didn't have a lot of time but had a decent pump which was the goal

Weight 235

Back to "the grind" at work, meetings + BS then straight to the gym afterwards to meet my usual training partner + another buddy who's back from out east

He actually went hunting with mike johnson and trained with antoine vaillant while he was out there...

Mon - back/calves

wide/neutral grip pulldown - four or five sets, pyramiding weight up but keeping the reps at 12 until I lost a few on the final set

one-arm DB row - four sets of 12, adding a bit of weight on the first few sets then kept it the same (as heavy as I could) on the third and fourth

seated narrow/neutral grip low row - four sets of 12 with a 2-3 sec flex/hold at full contraction
+++
superset straight-arm flat-bar pushdown - just 8-10 reps with a moderate weight really focusing on contracting the lats after each set of cable rows

HSPL high-row machine - four sets of 10, adding weight on each and went super heavy (basically needed a spot for my last two reps)

DB shrug - three sets of 15 with a 3 sec flex/hold at the top of every rep

seated donkey-calf toe press - three sets of 15-20 reps with toes pointed in, heavy as possible (full stack)

Weight 237

Nothing remarkable about the day, fairly early into work to accommodate a few things I needed to do in the evening then hit the gym with my training partner and that same buddy who recently returned from quebec

Tue - chest/delts/abs

incline press-flye - my training partner really loves these and I'm starting to, also...obviously you move less weight than a DB press but it seems to almost completely target the pecs rather than involving anterior delts, triceps etc...did five sets ranging from 8-15 reps here with various weights

HSPL decline press - four working sets, three heavy ones with four plates a side then a stupid one with five plates a side that kind of bothered my shoulder

chest tri-set
1. HSPL incline chest press/flye(?) machine - i've tried to describe this one before, some gyms have them but most don't...essentially if you can do 1.5 or 2 plates a side for more than 5 reps you're a tank
+++
2. pec dec - three sets of 12
+++
3. wide grip pushup - did these to failure leaning on the smith machine with the bar on the lowest rung

front between-the-legs rope raise - three sets of 10, as heavy as possible
+++
superset rear delt/reverse pec dec - three sets of 12 also as heavy as I could since shoulders were warmed up by now

cybex seated shoulder press - two sets, one set of 12 with three plates a side and a second set of 8 with four plates

side lateral DB raise - three sets of 15 with moderately weighted DBs (40lbs?) but going to 10 and 2 o'clock with perfect form on every rep

unsupported hanging leg raise - three sets of 15 reps
+++

cardio - 30mins walk outside, starting to get shitty again so it was winter coat + toque weather...

Weight ???

As usual the scale at goodlife is wonky af...somewhere around 235 though is my best guess

I met one of my friends who's a national figure competitor thinking about changing to physique for a workout

We were both late though so ended up pushing through pretty fast...it was good but no time for a warmup unfortunately

Not sure why, exactly since I haven't been sweating much lately but maybe just because of the pace I was a hot mess within 5mins of starting

Wed - legs/calves

highbar ATG squat - not bad but I used my older 13mm eliteFTS belt for my heavy set and had to quickly rack it midway, take it off and resume because it was digging into my hip bones

10 x bar
10 x 135
8 x 225
8 x 315
4 + 4 x 405 (due to the rack/unrack fiasco)
5 x 315 with 3-5sec pauses in the hole

HS pin-loaded V-squat machine - I rarely use these and didn't like it much, but we did three heavy sets of 8 with a high/wide foot placement for more posterior chain activation

kneeling one-legged hamstring curl - four sets of 15/12/10/8 reps with increasing weight (to the full stack)
+++
superset seated calf raise - three sets of 12-15 reps while waiting to use the hamstring machine

BB SLDL - three or four sets of 10 reps, moderate weight but really slow and methodical to try and target the hams specifically...it worked because god damn they are still sore

cardio - went for a walk earlier in the day (before the workout) outside, 30mins as usual

Weight 235

My usual training partner was still studying for his trade school exams but the guy who's back from quebec wanted to do arms which was perfect

Thu - arms/abs/calves

HSPL seated isolateral bicep curl - this one kind of forces your elbows to path straight, which feels awkward because we tend to draw things in towards our chest even if we think they're straight...three sets of 15
+++
superset HSPL tricep pushdown machine - three sets of 20-30 reps with moderate weight to really warm up elbows especially

neutral grip tricep pushdown - used a mid-width neutral grip attachment for this which is an interesting variation on the usual rope or v-bar pushdown, four sets of 15
+++
superset one-arm rope/cable curl - used a rope attachment but only one arm at a time, again four sets of 12-15 reps here

v-bar pushdown - three sets, increasing weight until it was so heavy I actually had to jump to get it started...
+++
rope hammer curl - using two arms at a time, similarly went much heavier here in the 8-12 rep range

cross-body DB curl - four sets of 12 reps per arm, alternating arms on every rep
+++
skullcrusher - three sets of 8, grabbed a pretty heavy EZ-bar and it was kind of mean on the elbows so I skipped the fourth set

HSPL preacher curl machine - one arm at a time, three straight sets of 8 reps then a fourth set with a single 8+8 rep drop
+++
HSPL seated toe press machine - four sets of 15-20 reps here, super heavy (12 plates I believe?)

isolateral tricep extension machine - used this one again, three sets of 8/10/12 reps

+++

cardio - 30min walk outside in the pretty-bitter cold/wind but at least it was to our backs on the return trip

Last I heard you were going to add slin on arm days. Did you, and can you tell any difference as of yet? Curious...

I believe advanced lifters need to periodically change angles and/or exercises to keep getting better size and shape. There are so many good variations out there it's not hard to find different ones, I think the challenge is realizing there are other movements just as good in some regards as others. And just because we change things up doesn't necessarily mean the previous exercise wasnt effective.
My .02 friend. And don't get me wrong....I'm giving you kudos for changing things up every once in awhile.

Others might find it useful as well

Last edited:
Last I heard you were going to add slin on arm days. Did you, and can you tell any difference as of yet? Curious...

I believe advanced lifters need to periodically change angles and/or exercises to keep getting better size and shape. There are so many good variations out there it's not hard to find different ones, I think the challenge is realizing there are other movements just as good in some regards as others. And just because we change things up doesn't necessarily mean the previous exercise wasnt effective.
My .02 friend. And don't get me wrong....I'm giving you kudos for changing things up every once in awhile.

Others might find it useful as well

I'm off gear and slin for the month, I'll be back on in December

One thing I notice for myself at least is that I pussy out and leave a rep or two in the tank on two many sets of bicep curls or even tricep extensions

I don't know why, my elbows aren't THAT beat up, but when I really think about it and focus I can almost always get a few more reps than expected...and I need those

Weight 235

Took friday off, went and saw jerry seinfeld instead

Great show, guy still has it at 60...

Sat - legs/calves

adductor/abductor machine - three sets of 25 reps, increasing in weight
+++
superset one-legged ham curl - three sets of 12 reps, increasing in weight also

one legged leg press - one warmup and four working sets, adding a plate each side until I got to five for 20/15/12/10/8 reps respectively

prone hamstring curl - one leg at a time, 10/12/15 reps per set with 100lbs which felt pretty heavy

smith machine front squat - four sets of 10 reps, topped out at 2.5 plates per side and that was insanely heavy

seated quad extension - three sets of 10 with a hard flex/squeeze a the top of every rep
+++
superset sissy squat - bodyweight for 10 difficult reps after each set of leg extensions

BB SLDL - four sets of 10, 225lbs here to really finish off the hamstrings

seated donkey calf/toe press machine - three sets of 15 with the full stack

Last edited:
Weight 236

Went and checked out the new goodlife that opened in the middle of the city, place is hyuuuuuuge and pretty nice

Has the indoor turf area that I like too, for prowler-sled push/drag/etc

My youngest brother and the sister that competes came along and worked out - we didn't train every set together but did a few

Navigated the chaos of weekend/christmas-season-Costco, did some meal prep and stayed up too late catching up on the Walking dead

Sun - biceps/triceps/abs

rope tricep pushdown - started with lower weight and higher reps then kept upping the weight for six sets until I hit the full stack for 8 reps
+++
superset cable EZ-bar curl - similarly to the tricep pushdown I kept increasing weight and losing a few reps for five or six sets as well

+++

CGBP - elbows/shoulders felt ok but a little weak on these, only went up to 2.5 plates a side...one feeler and three working sets of 8-10 reps

PJR pullover - four sets of 15 reps with a moderately heavy weight

cross-body hammer DB curl - three sets of 12 reps per arm, alternating arms on every rep
+++
superset reverse-grip EZ-bar curl - 12 reps after each set of hammer curls

preacher curl machine - one arm at a time, three sets of 8 reps per arm

jK0EdIkl.jpg

Last edited:
Weight 239

Didn't sleep enough so it was a rough day at work but I dragged myself to the gym and pushed through an "ok" chest/shoulder day

Finished up what was left of meal prep from the day before and fell asleep about 3 seconds after hitting the pillow...

Mon - chest/delts/abs/calves

flat DB flye-press - started with these again, one lighter set to warmup, three heavier working sets in the 8-10 rep range then a finisher, not quite dropset after the last with moderate weight for 12 reps
+++
superset rear delt/reverse pec dec - one warmup and four working sets

HSPL incline chest press - pyramided up adding a plate per side, then did two heavy/four-plate work sets of 6-8 full reps with partials after I ran out of steam for full reps
+++
superset seated calf raise - four sets of 15, heavy (4.5 plates)

HSPL shoulder press - pyramided weight here too, all sets were to failure with various reps+weights...final set was 3.5 plates for 8 reps

pec dec - three sets, added a few reps each time (8/10/12) with a hard flex/squeeze at full contraction on each rep
+++
superset side lateral DB raise - three sets here too, went pretty heavy with "decent" form for 15/12/10 reps per set, respectively

+++

cardio - 30mins walk outside, pretty cold but without too much wind it was bearable and coffee made the walk home feel much warmer

Uhfdptrl.jpg

Last edited:
Weight 238

Nothing special at work, my training partner was late so I ended up lifting alone since I had to finish in time to get to a movie

Saw Dr. Strange with some friends...it was pretty good but I got home realllllllly late and still had to shower/eat

Tue - back

wide grip pullup - bodyweight, three sets of 10

HSPL seated/chest-supported row - five sets of 8-10 reps, adding weight on the first three then kept it the same with varied hand positions on the last two

HSPL high row/pull-down machine - three sets of 10 using a neutral grip on the cantilever arm rather than the pronated handles

seated wide/neutral-grip row - five sets of 12, pyramiding weight on each set

shrug machine - four sets of 15 with a 2-3 sec flex/hold at the top of each rep

nautilus pull-over machine - three sets of 8 with a moderately heavy weight setup

cardio - 20-25min walk outside for coffee just before lunch time...wind was up but with an actual winter jacket and toque it wasn't too bad

Weight 236

Had to leave work a bit early for an appointment in the evening, went back afterwards for a bit and decided I probably didn't have enough energy for a good leg workout

Decided to do arms instead and got a decent pump, headed home and ate some eggwhites + casein before hitting the sack

Wed - arms/abs/calves

rope tricep pushdown - six sets, the first two were fairly easy higher rep warmups then progressively higher weight with a few lower reps (something like 25/20/16/12/10/8 per set)
+++
superset cable cambered-bar curl - same number of sets with approximately the same weight and exact same reps as the rope tricep extensions

unsupported hanging leg raise - three sets of 15 reps each
+++
+++
superduperset supinated two-arm DB curl - three sets of 12/12/10 reps, adding 5lbs per arm each time

lying "PJR pullover" - four sets of 15 reps with very slow, careful and methodical form
+++
standing calf raise - four sets of 15 as heavy as possible (full stack w/ extra weight pinned on)

HSPL preacher curl - one arm at a time, three sets...8 reps per arm on the first two set then 12 with slightly less weight on the third and final set
+++
HSPL seated tricep pushdown - same rep scheme here with two heavier sets then a lighter pump set that I actually managed to get 20 reps on to finish

Weight 237

Just a guess since the goodlife scales are sketchy as ever...but it was hovering between 235 and 240ish

Met up with my friend for a late afternoon leg workout then headed back to work for a bit

Thu - legs/calves

BB front squat - I've been doing these in the smith but we found an empty squat rack and decided to go that route instead
10 x bar
10 x 135
10 x 185
8 x 225
8 x 275...this was almost harder to hold than it was to squat, I've lost the flexibility to rack a front squat properly so I have to do the X-arm thing

HSPL leg press - I haven't actually done heavy, two-legged leg presses in awhile
15 x 8 plates per side (16 total)
12 x 10 plates
10 x 12 plates
8 x 14 plates...pretty close to maxing out the machine but didn't think I had another decent set in me

seated hamstring curl - four sets, pyramiding weight up to the full stack for 10 reps

BB SLDL - three sets of 12 x 225

standing calf raise - pinned some extra weight onto the machine and did three sets of 15 with a hard 10-12 sec stretch after each set

cardio - 20min walk outside, nice weather but we didn't need coffee so just wandered around the light-industrial area seeing the sights for a bit...

Weight 236

Didn't get enough sleep so it was a bit of a long day but managed to pull through

Hit chest with my usual training partner after work, home for dinner with mrs.SP then over to my friend's for some gears of war

Fri - chest/delts/abs/calves

+++
+++
superduperset reverse pec dec - five sets, pyramiding weight up

side lateral DB raise - one warmup and there working sets of 15/12/10 reps with increasing weight

flat chest flye-press - four sets, increasing weight doing 10 reps per set on the first three sets, then dropped weight for 15 on the fourth

HSPL decline chest press - four sets again, pyramiding weight on the first three then kept it the same on the fourth and went for a few extra reps

incline DB press - four sets of 8-12 reps, adding weight on each set

HSPL press-flye machine - three sets of 8-10 reps
+++
superset pec dec - 8-10 reps immediately after
+++
superduperset pushup - bodyweight, pushing on the smith bar on the lowest rung

seated calf raise - three straight sets of 15, heavy

cardio - 25min walk outside for coffee, bit windy but the weather was nice considering it's nearly the end of november...

Weight 236

Busy day with errands etc but managed to get a back workout in with my training partner mid-afternoon

Sat - back

wide/neutral-grip lat pulldown - four or five sets, 8-12 reps each adding weight on every set

bent-over one-arm DB row - four sets of 12 reps per arm, focusing on really activating+squeezing the working lat

HSPL high-row machine - used the neutral grip on the machine arms themselves, three sets of 10...heavy as possible
+++
superset chest-supported horizontal row - both arms at the same time, three sets of 8-10 reps with a hard flex/squeeze immediately after the high-row machine

DB shrug - four sets of 15 with a 2-3 sec flex/hold at the top of every rep

I might be leaving one exercise out as that sounds shorter than I remember, but it was a relatively quick workout

Weight 236

Slept in a bit, had breakfast with a friend then mrs.SP and I went shopping for meal prep supplies

Met my sister at the new goodlife we'd gone to last weekend and got a great leg workout in

I was struggling afterwards and the gym is on the second floor of a new complex but luckily I spotted an elevator before I fell down the stairs...

Sun - legs/calves

adductor machine - six sets of 15, two warmups then the full stack on the next four sets
+++
superset abduction machine - six sets of 15 as well, same except three warmups + three work sets

seated hamstring curl - five sets, pyramiding weight up...after one warmup set I did four working sets of 15/12/10/8 reps, respectively

highbar ATG squat - I'm not a huge fan of the flooring at goodlife just when it comes to squatting...once you have 300+ lbs on the bar it's really squishy
10 x bar
10 x 135
10 x 225
5 x 315
5 x 365
7 x 405...sister was there but I'm not super confident with her spotting capability so I didn't try for the eighth, not sure if I'd have had it anyways

squat machine - did backwards-facing squats on this thing, it's not exactly a v-squat but kind of similar...four sets of 12, adding a plate per side each time up to 6 plates/side

kneeling hamstring curl - three sets, adding weight and dropping reps...15/12/10 reps per leg, per set
+++
GHR machine-thing - just a regular HS bodyweight version, did 8 reps here immediately after finishing each set of leg curls

BB SLDL - three sets of 8 reps, heavier than usual since my back wasn't too tight/sore for some reason

ReVo6Fkl.jpg

Weight 236

My neck and to a lesser extent shoulder have been really bothering me so I tried a heavier duty muscle relaxant sunday evening

It worked in that I was able to sleep the night but I was a complete zombie until about 4pm even with two relatively long naps during the day

Mon - triceps/biceps/abs

rope tricep pushdown - five sets, lighter weight to warmup on the first two then heavier in the 10-12 rep range for the last three sets
+++
superset HSPL seated supinated isolateral curl - this is the one that almost over-supinates your wrists so I didn't go too heavy, four sets of 15 here

CGBP - four sets, pyramiding weight on the first three then kept it the same on the fourth & final set

PJR pullover - my training partner didn't like these but I do so I did them anyways while he did overhead DB extensions...four sets of 15 for me
+++
supinated DB curl - both arms at the same time, increasing weight for 15/12/10/8 reps per set, respectively

HSPL preacher curl - one arm at a time, adding a little weight each set for 12/10/8 reps
+++
HSPL seated tricep pushdown - kept weight the same and went with higher reps...three sets of 15-20 reps each

+++

cardio - as mentioned, on top of over-napping, work was busy so I didn't have time to fit any kind of walk in unfortunately

Back