SP's on/off-season log

Weight 236

Training partner is in tradeschool and needed to study for his midterms so I hit the gym by myself after work

Tue - chest/delts/abs

rear delt/reverse pec dec - four sets, pyramiding weight up...20/16/12/10 reps respectively
+++
superset pec dec - facing forward for chest, same rep scheme

flat DB flye-press - four sets of 12/10/8 then 15 reps on the fourth

HSPL incline chest press - four sets here too, went 2->3->3.5->4 plates per side

unsupported hanging leg raise - three sets of 15 reps
+++
superset rope crunch - 15 reps after each set of leg raises

side lateral DB raise - three sets, 15/12/10 reps using the 40/45/50lbs DBs in that order

cardio - 30mins walk outside for coffee in the afternoon

Weight ?

Didn't bother standing on the shady goodlife scale...I have a feeling I can deduce +/- a few pounds what I weighed though based on the 'trend' over the last week

My normal training partner's knee is still bothering him so I've been doing legs with a friend who competes in figure, usually shorter workouts but we take minimal breaks so they're tough

Wed - legs (couldn't do calves...too crampy)

prone hamstring curl - five sets, one easier warmup set then four workings sets pyramiding weight up until I did the full stack for 15/12/10/8 reps per set, respectively

BB front squat - these again, I went a bit heavier and kind of half-failed on the last set...
15 x 135
12 x 225
10 x 275
5 x 315...I was trying for 8 but the bar slid off my front delts and nailed me in the elbows...didn't actually cause as much damage as I worried it might've though

HSPL incline leg press - went heavy on these again, wanted to really push after not quite getting all my reps in on front squats
15 x 6 plates per side (540lbs)
12 x 8 plates per side
10 x 10 plates per side
10 x 12 plates per side
8 x 14 plates per side (1260lbs?)...eyes were pretty red after this set

kneeling leg curl - three sets per leg, 15/12/10 reps hitting the full stack on the final set

seated calf raise - tried to do this but after 2-3 reps it became apparent my calves just wanted to lock up on me so I gave up

That was it...I thought about doing some SLDL but my friend had to get to work so I just called it there and am pretty glad I did because my hamstrings are sore af today even without them

Narly weight with the fronts... kudos. I've gone as heavy as 225, thought that was good. My low back screams and gets a hella pump from the fronts

Weight 236

Back at it with my usual training partner possibly for the last session until next week as I have a course all weekend that will make training difficult at best

Thu - back/abs

unsupported hanging leg raise - four sets of 15 reps
+++

wide grip/behind-the-neck pulldown - three sets of 10 with moderate weight, slow and steady to get warmed up...shoulders especially

wide/neutral-grip pulldown - five sets of 10-12 reps, pyramiding weight up

one-arm DB row - four sets of 12, adding about 10lbs on every set

HSPL high-row machine (using neutral grip on the supports) - three sets of 10 reps, adding 25lbs per side each time
+++
superset chest-supported wide-grip row - machine using two hands at the same time, 10 reps with moderate weight but ultra-slow eccentrics on all reps

smith bent-over row - four sets of 10-12 reps
+++
superset wide-grip pullup negatives - only five reps per set, but really slow eccentrics again that really burned out the lats and got a nice stretch

plate-loaded shrug/deadlift machine...thing - three sets of 15 with a hard 2-3sec flex/hold at the top of every rep

DB shrug - lower weight, but really slow sets of 15 without the hold but really squeezing the whole time

cardio - none, cold as shit outside...shamelessly did an AWD burnout/donut/drift out of t he parking lot and drove to tim hortons for coffee instead of walking

If you are going to skip your walk, a burnout/donut is a good way to do it in style. Haha. Leave a mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enough snow that I don't think I left much, if any tyre behind......but a nice set of tracks ;)

Weight 236

Basically took Friday off as my course ran pretty late into the evening but I did hit goodlife on the way home and did two laps of their "quick fix fitness" circuit (or whatever it's called) just to move around a bit after being in a super uncomfortable seat for 8hrs (on top of work in the morning)

Saturday was an early morning, woke up and hit the gym before 8am class for a quick upper body workout...almost a pump session but I went fairly heavy.

Long day in class, then went to some friends' housewarming/ugly-christmas-sweater party afterwards...fun people, good eats but I was sure exhausted afterwards

SatAM - upper body

incline BB press - three minutes (well, only got about 2m:30s) of barbell-only warmup, then four sets pyramiding up to 315 for 5 reps which is pretty good for me on incline
+++
superset HSPL chest-supported horizontal row - three whole minutes here of "plateless" warmup, then four sets also pyramiding but went from 2 to 5 plates per side for 8 reps

side lateral DB raise - three sets, pyramiding weight...12/10/8 reps respectively
+++
superset rear delt/reverse pec dec - three sets of 12, adding weight on each as well (125/167/200 I believe)

+++

cambered bar cable-curl - three sets, adding weight for 15/12/8 reps
+++
superset rope tricep pushdown - same setup as cable-curls

6ItAwe4l.jpg

Weight ?

Once again, goodlife (different location than usual, same shitty scale as usual) so I'm not certain but might be up a pound or two from the xmas party eats

Another long day in 'class' but it was somewhat interesting as this was the more practical/hands-on portion

Met up with Mrs.SP and went to my parents' xmas party afterwards, then hit goodlife to do a quick leg session with one of my sisters

Sun - legs (no calves)

warmup - stair mill (5mins approx)

prone hamstring curl...onoe legged version - two warmup sets then heavy working sets of 8 reps per leg, adding a bit of weight each set

HSPL incline leg press - couldn't get a squat rack right away so we went to the leg press instead
12 x 6 plates per side (warmup)
10 x 9 plates per side (900lbs + sled..?)
10 x 12 plates per side (getting heavy)
8 x 14 plates per side (tougher than usual...stopped here)

highbar ATG squat - now that the bar was free we headed over but I was starting to run out of gas for some reason, probably from the long day (I'm hoping, at least)
10 x 135lbs
10 x 225lbs
8 x 315lbs...this felt heavy like 365+, and I really didn't feel like putting up some real shitty 405 reps so I stopped there...my sister was tired too so we just hit a few machines to finish

seated leg extension - three sets of 10, heavy (full stack on the third set)
+++
superset seated leg curl - same thing

0jwe95wl.jpg

Weight 237

Pretty solid Monday but I was up early, work ran late so the gym was later than expected and still had to meal prep since sunday was a gongshow so I didn't get to bed until midnight again

Training partner accommodated my schedule and we hit chest with a bit of abs to finish...

Mon - chest/abs

warmup - stair mill (~5mins)

flat BB press - three minutes (got 2m:45s this time) and 120 reps in that space of time with just the barbell

flat DB flye-press - four sets, increasing weight for the first three then kept it the same on the fourth, about 10 reps each time

decline DB press - four sets again, one warmup and three heavier working sets of 8-12 reps with progressively heavier weight

HSPL decline press - three quick sets with minimal rest, moderate weight but my pump got even better with this thrown in

pec dec - three sets of 15/12/10 reps, pyramiding weight up
+++
superset wide-grip pushup - approximately 15 reps after each set on the pec dec

v-sit ab machine - this was an interesting one, I've seen the machine but never tried it before...essentially lets you do a weighted/resistance-added v-sit...did four sets of 20

Weight 240

Not certain since it was a goodlife scale but it looked a lot like it didn't want to move below 240 even with all the sketchiness so I'll call that a win

Started back on cycle Monday so I'm hoping to see that number climb to 250 by xmas

Tue - back

warmup - stair mill (~5mins)

chest-supported row - used a supinated ("yates") grip and pyramided weight up, call it two warmup and three or four working sets down to six reps on the last/heaviest set with the full stack

medium-width/neutral-grip pulldown - four sets, pyramiding weight here too...12/12/10/8 reps respsectively

bent-over one-arm DB row - three sets of 8, moderate weight to really allow me to focus on fully contracting the lats

BB row - three sets of 6, heavy (3.5 plates per side) with decent form...minimal momentum but not quite "slow and controlled" either
+++
superset straight-arm rope pulldown - 8 reps after each set of rows

DB shrug - leaning forward slightly to focus on engaging the traps, three sets of 15 reps

cardio - pffft, yeah right...-25C with the windchill, no thx

Weight 238

Good day at work but my stomach started bugging me in the afternoon

Interesting because the friend that I usually train legs with midweek said she was feeling sick too

I was going to just take the day off but felt better in the evening so I went and got a relatively good leg workout in after a friend's kid's one-year birthday party... (lol)

Wed - legs/calves

warmup - incline treadmill

incline leg press - 3 mins of constant reps using just the sled with one plate on it, exactly on 140 reps in that time so they're fairly quick (<2s each)...got a pump started from just this

seated hamstring curl - one warmup set then four working sets, pyramiding weight up to the full stack for 15/12/10/10 reps per set, respectively

steep-incline hack squat - used a lower foot position to put more emphasis on the quads here, did one warmup and four working sets, all 8 reps...it was (per side) 2 plates, then 3/4/5 for the final sets

v-squat machine - did these facing the pad and feet high on the platform to almost entirely focus the hams with a bit of glute involvement...three sets of 8 reps with 4/5/6 plates per side, respectively

smith SLDL - three sets again, this time I did 8/10/12 reps all with the same heavy-ass-weight

standing calf raise - four sets of 15 reps, each one with a hard flex/squeeze at the top

Weight 240

Met up with my training partner and another friend after work for an arms session

Mrs. SP and my training partner's GF hit legs while we were at it and I almost had to carry her out, they went HAM

Thu - triceps/biceps/abs/calves

+++

standing calf raise - four sets of 15 with a hard flex at the top, and 15 sec stretch after completing the set

tricep rope pushdown - five sets, pyramiding weight up until 8 reps was heavy, then on the last set we dropped it a little and did about 15 reps

CGBP - four sets, 2 -> 2.5 -> 3 -> 3 plates per side, respectively (only 6 reps on the last set)

incline two-hand tricep extensions - did these holding DBs with a neutral grip in a similar position to where you'd start a skullcrusher..four sets of 12-15 reps
+++
superset supinated DB curl - four sets of 15/12/10/8 reps per set, adding weight on each

cross-body hammer curl - four sets here also, 12 reps each time
+++
superset reverse-grip EZ-bar curl - 12-15 reps to failure after each set of hammer curls

HSPL preacher curl machine - did these one arm at a time, sitting sideways on the seat so the arm was medially rotated from the body...four sets of 8 reps per arm

I've been AWOL for a bit, I missed logging a few workouts then got discouraged about resuming...sick so I was off for a few days, have been back in the gym solid for a week now and have gone through two sets of the following workouts

Back (and abs/calves, time-permitting)

wide/neutral grip pulldown - two warmup and three to four working sets, pyramiding weight up doing 8-12 reps per set

one-arm DB row - one warmup set then three working sets with increasing weight, 12/10/8 reps per set respectively

HSPL high row/lat pulldown w/neutral grip - three or four working sets of 8-10 reps with moderately heavy weight, but extra slow/careful on both concentric and eccentric
+++
superset cybex horizontal row - same number of sets, and same reps with a pause on full contraction and very slow 3+ second eccentric

heavy rack pull or BB/smith row - did rack pulls one workout and rows the other, each time was four heavy sets in the 8 rep range

DB shrug - I've been doing these leaning forward slightly to try and isolate the traps...usually three sets of 12-15 reps, pausing at the top of every rep

Chest/delts (again with abs/calves, if possible)

rear delt/reverse pec dec - usually five sets, pyramiding weight up doing approximately 20/16/12/10/8 reps per set

incline or flat press-flye - usually two good warmup sets then three to four workings sets, 8-12 reps on the work sets

HSPL incline or decline chest press - four sets, adding weight on the first three then a dropset for the fourth

tri-set...8-12 reps on each exercise, usually three rounds
1. HSPL press-flye machine
2. pec dec
3. wide pushups on the smith bar set on the lowest rung (to failure)

side lateral DB raise - three or four sets, usually pyramiding weight doing 16/12/10 (and 8 reps, if four sets)
+++
superset front DB raise - I've been using a neutral (hammer) grip on these and doing one arm at a time, same reps as side laterals but usually exactly half the weight

cybex shoulder press machine - two or three heavy sets of 8-10 reps to finish off

Arms (with abs/calves if possible)

These workouts were pretty different, but each was about three bicep exercises and four tricep exercises with 3-5 working sets of each

Legs (I've been leaving calves for the other days)

seated hamstring curl - five sets, pyramiding weight up with the 20/16/12/10/8 rep scheme that I've been liking...failing on the last 2-3 sets, usually maxing out the machine by the fourth set
+++
superset adductor machine - brought this back in, maxed out machine still lets me get 15-20 reps so I focus on slowing the movement down as much as possible and trying to fail around 10-12 reps

highbar or hack squat - did one workout with each, four sets of 8 reps each time, adding weight on every set and failing (or close to it) on the fourth set

one-legged leg press - high foot placement for mostly ham/glute emphasis, four sets of 16/12/10/8 reps per leg

barbell or smith SLDL - one workout of each, three or four sets of 8-10 reps per set

seated leg extension - three sets of 10 with a hard flex/squeeze on each rep
+++
superset sissy squat - bodyweight to failure, typically 6-8 reps immediately after each set of leg extensions

walking lunges (w/ BB on shoulders) - only did this one workout, with my sister who's a sucker for pain and insisted we do them...about 10 paces per leg with one plate on the BB

Weight: Currently sitting in the mid 230s, I'll report back with accurate weights and daily workouts starting tomorrow (probably!)

ZatF62Sl.jpg

Weight 234

Regular gym with my usual training partner, nothing fancy just a good chest workout...we left delts for tomorrow, possibly with arms

Thu - chest/abs/calves

unsupported hanging leg raise - three sets of 15
+++

rear delt/reverse pec dec - five sets, pyramiding weight up

incline DB press - four sets, first was a lighter warmup then heavy to near-failure with 100->120->140lbs DBs; solid 8 reps on the final set felt good

HSPL decline press - three sets, all to failure with 3 -> 4 -> 5 plates per side

HSPL press-flye machine - three sets as well, 12/12/10 reps (added weight on the last set)
+++
superset pec dec - 12 reps with a hard flex/squeeze on as many reps as possible after each set on the press-flye thing

seated "donkey" toe-press - five sets of 15 with the full stack, slow and steady

cardio - weather's been nice so I've been getting the 25-30min coffee walks in about 3-4x/wk, nothing serious but fairly brisk and hopefully enough to fend off a cardiac 'event' :D

Weight 234

My friend and I (and his gf+mrs.SP) checked out the new gym that opened today...pretty big and nice, unfortunately missing a few pieces of equipment but that can be fixed

I'm fairly good friends with the head trainer, his long-time fiance is the GM and the owner is a local national-level (multi-time class-winner) BBr

I weighed myself on another scale since they don't seem to have one yet...

Fri - delts/arms

rear delt cable pull-apart - four sets of 8-12, increasing weight

side lateral DB raise - one warmup and four working sets, triple dropset on the fourth set

HSPL shoulder press - three working sets, went to failure on each with 2->3->3.5 plates/side

rope tricep pushdown - four sets of 12, adding 10lbs each time until I couldn't quite get 12 on the final set
+++
superset EZ-bar spider curl - they didn't actually have a preacher bench which was weird so we did these off the edge of a hyperextension bench/machine-thing

cross body hammer/pinwheel DB curl - two sets of 12 reps per arm

CGBP - one warmup and three working sets, stayed at 2.5 plates/side but got 12/12/11 reps per set which felt pretty solid

seated tricep pushdown machine - three sets of 12 with a hard lockout on each rep
+++
superset concentration curl machine - 10 reps per arm, one arm at a time

Weight ?

I'm going to guess 234-235 again, but we were at the new gym again without a scale so I can't be sure

One each of my sisters and brothers came and joined for a workout, I was training back so they did some with me then went and did their own thing

I talked a bit with the owner, avoided mentioning the deficiencies I'd noted and just tried to be encouraging since my friend wants me to come work here/there (so he'd be my boss, technically)

Sat - back/abs

unsupported hanging leg raise - three sets of 15
+++

one-arm DB row - kept the weight a bit moderate since I didn't have straps, just 60-90-110-120 per set, 10 reps each time really focusing on lat contraction

narrow/neutral grip pulldown - five sets here, reps were 20/16/12/10/8 with the full stack (and some body english) on the final set

HSPL chest-supported horizontal row - did these one arm at a time, 4 sets of 8-10 reps per set with 4 plates/side

wide/high lat pulldown machine - this one is a pretty interesting position, since it's a machine with a fixed ROM it really forces a wide pull through the whole rep...3 sets of 8

rack pull - lowest pin setting (mid shin) and went really heavy on these (probably more than necessary) doing sets of 8 until the final/heaviest set of 5 x 545lbs(? whatever 5.5 plates is)

Weight 234

Back to powerhouse since it was one of the only gyms I knew would be open

Sun - legs/calves

prone hamstring curl - did these one leg at a time, four sets with a single drop on the fourth set
+++
superset adductor machine - one warmup and four working sets of 15 reps

highbar ATG squat - decided not to mess around and just squatted as heavy as I could with usual deep ROM
15 x bar
12 x 135
8 x 225
8 x 315
8 x 405

hack squat - nothing special here, did 1 plate for 20 reps, then 3->4->5 plates for 10/8/5 reps per set respectively

standing one-leg hamstring curl - four sets of 8, adding weight on each set
+++
superset seated leg extension - also four sets of 8, similarly added weight until maxing out the machine on the fourth (same as leg curl actually)

seated "donkey" calf/toe-press - four sets of 20/16/12/10 reps, found a contraption that let me add 45s to the machine so it got REALLY heavy

cardio - I haven't been walking outside but I've been doing a little more than a warmup for the last three days, usually about 15-20mins of 120bpm(approx) on treadmill or stairmill preWO

OSsGINal.jpg

eq2daLOm.jpg
AmjpX2fm.jpg

Weight ?

Back to the new gym in town, since it was chest/shoulders day and I didn't need any of the missing equipment...

Mon - chest/delts/abs

bent over rear DB flye - four sets, pyramiding weight up

unsupported hanging leg raise - four sets of 15 reps
+++

incline DB press - four or five sets, last three were heavy/work sets...nice slow/controlled since the heaviest DBs were 125lbs

HSPL decline press - one warmup and three working sets of 8-10 reps each with 4 plates a side (that one wouldn't take any more...might need bands)

pin-loaded flat chest-press - used a wide grip, three sets of 12
+++
superset pec dec - 12 reps after each set on the chest press machine, hard flex/squeeze on each rep

side lateral DB raise - four sets of 15/12/10/8 reps, went really heavy (for me) on the final set with 60lbs DBs
+++
superset front DB raise - matched the reps of each set of side laterals with 50% the weight, using kind of a 45 degree, half-hammer/half-pronated grip

Weight 236

Back to powerhouse with my usual training partner since they have much more/better arms-training equipment

Tue - arms/calves

rope tricep pushdown - five sets, pyramiding weight up
+++
superset HSPL isolateral curl - four sets, similarly pyramiding weight up on each

HSPL preacher curl - hooked a D handle up to allow free movement of the wrist, one arm at a time for three sets of ~10 reps

cross-body DB hammer curl - three sets of 12
+++
superset reverse-grip BB curl - 12 reps after each set of hammer curls

smith CGBP - three sets, pyramiding weight up,...15/12/8 reps respectively

tricep pushdown - used two D handles attached to the cables here and went really heavy for three sets of ~8 reps
+++
superset shrug machine - three sets of 16-20 reps

seated "donkey" calf/toe-press machine - four sets of 16-20 reps

Weight ?

I keep meaning to ask if they have a scale somewhere but I haven't seen it so I'm kind of guessing No...

I was going to be snowboarding but my stomach was bugging me after too much xmas baking so I stayed home and when I felt better hit the gym for a full body workout

Wed - full body

Started with 10 mins on the treadmill then a full body warmup with some front/side/rear laterals, flyes, pull ups then started with abs

unsupported hanging leg raise - four sets of 15
+++

side lateral DB raise - three sets of 12/10/8 reps respectively
+++
superset front DB raise - same reps with half the weight of the side laterals

HSPL wide chest press - one warmup and three working sets, this one also maxes out at four plates unfortunately

HSPL chest-supported row - three sets of 8, one arm at a time

rogue/safety-squat - used the special bar just for a change of pace, four sets pyramiding weight all the way up to 4 plates then backed down to 3.5 on the fifth set

DB SLDL - three sets of 10, didn't have straps so I just went really slow and made the 100s feel heavy

hack squat calf raise - four sets of 15

cardio - 15 mins on the stair mill postWO, not terribly intense but I was definitely sweating afterward

Back