Steroid Gut

Yeah I have had it...it suck!!! As soon as I was done from my cycle about a week later it seemed to go down. I guess it was from all the food I was eating and the water retention too. Not to mention the bud I smoked gave me the munchies to help put weight on too

Hmmm not too sure about roid gut. Few guys in my gym get a bloated stomach if thats what u mean. GH gut on the other hand has a lot of theories. Sum popular theories are either the fat that surrounds your organs grows, or your organs themselves grow.

Its caused by cell hyperplasia, enlarges muscles cells as well as organ cells, ie. the stomach.

I was quite convinced it didn't as well (hypertrophy does).

YJ: how ya doing buddy :) Do you know something we don't???

Also: I have to bump this one for HHajdo. He'll know for sure. I thought IGF-1 levels had an indirect relationship somehow?!!?!?

Thank you Detox. I ate 5500 calories during this off season. My gut was hanging out. Not the fat, it was protruding way more than normal. Now that I'm dieting the fat is going, but I really have to keep it tight on my side shots or I look like Buddah!

Paulie R said:
Thank you Detox. I ate 5500 calories during this off season. My gut was hanging out. Not the fat, it was protruding way more than normal. Now that I'm dieting the fat is going, but I really have to keep it tight on my side shots or I look like Buddah!

So what you're saying is that eventhough you have lost the fat, your gut still sticks out now.

GH (IGF-1) can cause an increase of organ mass...

AS can contribute also since they can increase IGF-1.

Diet also, different nutrients have different impact on Glucagon-like peptide 2, which also promotes intestinal growth:

Secretion of the intestinotropic hormone glucagon-like peptide 2 is differentially regulated by nutrients in humans.

Xiao Q, Boushey RP, Drucker DJ, Brubaker PL.

Department of Physiology, University of Toronto and the Toronto Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

BACKGROUND & AIMS: Glucagon-like peptide 2(1-33) (GLP-2(1-33)), an intestinally derived hormone, stimulates growth in rodent small and large bowel. To explore the physiology of GLP-2(1-33) secretion, we measured plasma GLP-2 levels in 6 healthy male volunteers, before and after test meals. METHODS: Blood samples were collected over 24 hours with the subjects consuming a normal, solid mixed diet (2500 kcal) and for 4 hours after liquid test meals (400 kcal/300 mL) composed of carbohydrate, fat, or protein. All studies commenced at 9 AM. Plasma was extracted and analyzed in radioimmunoassays for N-terminal immunoreactive GLP-2 (N-IR-GLP-2; measures bioactive GLP-2(1-33)) as well as total IR-GLP-2 (T-IR-GLP-2), which includes GLP-2(1-33), GLP-2(3-33) (an inactive degradation product of GLP-2(1-33)), and the pancreatic major proglucagon fragment (an inactive precursor that contains GLP-2). Basal and nutrient-stimulated plasma samples were also analyzed by high-performance liquid chromatography to determine the levels of GLP-2(1-33) and GLP-2(3-33). RESULTS: N-IR-GLP-2 levels were increased 2.0 +/- 0.2- to 2.8 +/- 0.5-fold 40 minutes after each mixed meal (P < 0.05-0.01) and returned to basal overnight, whereas T-IR-GLP-2 levels were increased 1.3 +/- 0.1-fold 40 minutes after breakfast only (P < 0.05). After ingestion of carbohydrate or fat alone, plasma N-IR-GLP-2 concentrations increased by 5.6 +/- 2.0- and 2.7 +/- 0.6-fold within 1 hour (P < 0.05). High-performance liquid chromatography analysis showed a relative increase in the levels of GLP-2(1-33) compared with GLP-2(3-33) (P < 0.05). Ingestion of the protein meal did not alter N-IR-GLP-2 levels, whereas T-IR-GLP-2 was increased by fat and protein (by 1.7 +/- 0. 2-fold for each, P < 0.01) but not by carbohydrate. CONCLUSIONS: These results show that secretion of GLP-2(1-33) from the intestine is regulated in a nutrient-dependent manner in normal humans.

More info about Glucagon-like peptide 2 can be found here:

http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/131/3/709

Easto said:
So what you're saying is that eventhough you have lost the fat, your gut still sticks out now.

Lets get it straight there is a beer gut and a "stomach gut." Beer guts are the fat pooches that everyone here in the cheese state carries around all winter. A bloated stomach gut is very high around stomach. It isnt due to fat deposits, rather the fact that you are constantly full. In offseason you can get both the fatty gut and stomach gut combined and that looks really pretty.

it can be water retention. Especially when using orals. If it doesnt feel like fat and feels kinda hard it might be a sign of liver problems.

Serenity Head,

That's my case exactly. As my food levels drop so will the high stomach bloat. Thanks for clearing that up.

Water retention aka "bloat" does cause this. But, the midsection (abs, obliques, serratus, etc.) will hypertrophy, especially on heavy squats and deadlifts. I am a powerlifter and I have this. This is a common problem. It could also be fat; don't just blame the juice

Back