steroids and heart

beefeater

How does steroids affect your heart? Will your heart naturally beat harder when first doing steroids? I have noticed some different type heart beats since doing roids. Is it normal or something I need to worry about? I am new here by the way, so whats up everyone. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Welcome to the board!!! I guess in some way it can affect the heart....after all the heart is a muscle too. Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) affects everyone differently that's why people need to learn about what they are taking before they put in their bodies. It is always a good idea to start slow and see how your body reacts to the first cycle, have yourself checked out by a Dr., if everything checks out then you can eventually add to your cycles. This question could better be answered by buffdoc or Drveejay.

"Steroid abuse has been associated with cardiovascular diseases (CVD), including heart attacks and strokes, even in athletes younger than 30. Steroids contribute to the development of CVD, partly by changing the levels of lipoproteins that carry cholesterol in the blood. Steroids, particularly the oral types, increase the level of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and decrease the level of high-density lipoprotein (HDL). High LDL and low HDL levels increase the risk of atherosclerosis, a condition in which fatty substances are deposited inside arteries and disrupt blood flow. If blood is prevented from reaching the heart, the result can be a heart attack. If blood is prevented from reaching the brain, the result can be a stroke.
Steroids also increase the risk that blood clots will form in blood vessels, potentially disrupting blood flow and damaging the heart muscle so that it does not pump blood effectively.

The most serious complication of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) use is an increased risk for heart disease and sudden death.
Anabolic steroids decrease HDL cholesterol and increase cardiac size. Myocardial fibrosis can occur, similar to cardiomyopathy.
Hypertension induced by Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) further increases heart size.
These effects may persist even after use of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) has been stopped, increasing the risk for morbidity and mortality.
Anabolic steroids have been shown to enhance the coronary artery response to catecholamines released during periods of stress, and this may play a role in the sudden cardiac deaths reported with their use.
Contraction band necrosis, indicative of ischemia, has been observed in such deaths.

. Heart with hypertrophy, gross.
. Heart with myocardial contraction band necrosis, trichrome stain, microscopic.
. Testicular atrophy, gross.
. Testicular atrophy, microscopic.
. Gynecomastia, gross."

References
Carter N, Rutty GN, Milroy CM, Forrest AR. Deaths associated with MBDB misuse. Int J Legal Med. 2000;113:168-170.
Christophersen AS. Amphetamine designer drugs - an overview and epidemiology. Toxicol Lett. 2000;112-113:127-131.
Fineschi V, Baroldi G, Monciotti F, Reattelli LP, Turillazzi E. Anabolic steroid abuse and cardiac sudden death. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2001;125:253-255.
Fineschi V, Centini F, Mazzeo E, Turillazzi E. Adam (MDMA) and Eve (MDEA) misuse: an immunohistochemical study on three fatal cases. Forensic Sci Int. 1999;104:65-74.
McGuire P. Long term psychiatric and cognitive effects of MDMA use. Toxicol Lett. 2000;112-113:153-156.
Olmedo R, Hoffman RS. Withdrawl syndromes. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2000;18:273-288.
Scully RE, Mark EJ, McNeely WF, et al. Case 6-2001: Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. New Engl J Med. 2001;344:591-599.
Timby N, Eriksson A, Bostrom K. Gamma-hydroxybutyrate associated deaths. Am J Med. 2000;108:518-519.

ALso, your heart will beat harder b/c of the increase in blood pressure, more noticeable. Youll prbably notice the palpitations, which occur in everyone and go away with exertion, if you feel the skipped beats, then go for a walk. This releases adrenalin and overrides the nerve impulses

From what I know, most heart related issues stem from poor evacuation of the left ventricle. Marathon runners have the same problem. I would have to assume that if the above is true, then it would be related to body weight and possibly blood pressure, thicker blood (high red blood cell count), and so on.

Arnie has had heart surgery, I forget for what though. It is kind of common sense frankly that a heavy person has a harder working heart, more blood volume to deal with, etc How much does it really affect you? Who knows, I think some of us are still watching the big guys from the 60s to see what happens.

Take everythng into consideration. My heart beats lijke like wildfire in the morning, it takes me a priod of relaxation andmedaitation adn deep breaths to calm down. So avoid the cocaine, and other upper drugstat speed up heart rate.

Back