Steroids & Anti-depressants/anxiety

DUANABOL

by Cy Willson

Q: I've heard many anti-anxiety and anti-depression meds can have negative bodybuilding consequences when one is also using steroids. Is that true?

A: Caution should be used if one is using anti-anxiety meds like benzodiazepines. The reason? Well, some androgens like Testosterone and stanozolol can prevent these benzodiazepines from binding to receptor sites and thus preventing them from exerting any action. This could cause a severe case of anxiety for that person.

The same thing applies for drugs used to treat depression. Caution should be used with those using SSRI's as some androgens may increase or enhance serotonin levels or their actions. To further complicate things, some can even reduce serotonin levels. Either way, this would require the person to account for this and then readjust his dosage of that particular SSRI.

The same issue applies with MAOI's as androgens like D-bol may increase epinephrine levels. In combination with an MAOI, this could lead to a significant increase in blood pressure and heart rate, and thus could lead to some serious side effects if not monitored closely. The same applies if an androgen increases or decreases MAO levels as this would require one to readjust the dosage.

Now, in reality, there isn't a large risk involved with these drugs and concurrent use of androgens, but caution is warranted and dosages should be adjusted accordingly if the patient finds that the drug or drugs aren't as effective as they were prior to androgen usage. (1-7)

I take an antidepressent called remeron. I believe it is a ssri.I have been taking 500mg of test cyp for 6 weeks now and have not changed my dosage. The only difference i have noticed is it is harder to wake up in the mornings.

Thanks for posting that, DUANABOL.

I take Lexapro (an SSRI I think?) and I decided to stop taking them altogether when I started cycle. Especially because of the dbol.

I would also like to hear any more opinions about anti-depressants and cycling. Especially with things like GH, T3, and orals.

this did answer my question i had .. im on anti-D's and wondered if it was really harmful..i know when i come off i use them.. not when im on ... definitely answered mymost important question though ..

SSRIs are fine to take on cycle. Lots of people do this. I have done it, and I personally know people who have done it too.

If someone is prescribed antidepressant medication, then this should clearly take priority over a cycle. Health comes first.

SSRIs are not contraindicated with androgenic steroids. They go fine together. "Caution", whatever that means, is certainly not required.

In regard to SSRI's, I believe that one should continue to take them while on their cycles. They will be somewhat less effective, but you should continue to take the medication because it takes a long time before it starts working again if you discontinued use during your cycle.

I'm living proof that SSRI's and steroids are OK together. The problem that I've experienced while cycling these drugs together is that I don't feel the aggressiveness from the androgens as much as I did in the past when I didn't use antidepressants. The SSRI's seem to lessen the intense feelings of being on a cycle if you know what I mean.

has ony one else experineced this decline of aggressiveness while on an ssri.

Also does any one know anything about ssri reducing the affect of post cycle therapy (pct) drugs.

I have only done one cycle before and I was taking wellbutran at the time. Looking back on those 12 weeks it seemed almost uphoric(sp?). I do think that the Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) increased my serotonin levels, which in not really a bad thing.
diablo666- remeron is designed to help your body reach better sleeping patterns (rem sleep). During a cycle your body needs more rest, now taking remeron in addition to that you will require more sleep.
simpllyhuge-ssri are meant to stabalize your moods. So yes your aggression might seem lower. Don't worry, you can still get really pissed off, it's only going to lessen the extremes of your moods. As far as post cycle therapy (pct) i don't know if the ssri's mess with those drugs.

McCrazy

simpllyhuge said:
dizzy what doea taking dbol have to do with an ssri, are ssri hard on the liver or somthing?

I thought of SSRI's and dbol's effects on dopamine. I've been reading and it seems SSRI's may deplete dopamine levels...when I thought they raised them. So they may not be so bad to take together at all. Not to say they're a good combo for people who use Lexapro by any means.

Dizzy said:
I thought of SSRI's and dbol's effects on dopamine. I've been reading and it seems SSRI's may deplete dopamine levels...when I thought they raised them. So they may not be so bad to take together at all. Not to say they're a good combo for people who use Lexapro by any means.

SSRI's don't have much effect at all on dopamine levels. But Wellbutrin does though, it increases dopamine just like D-bol. SSRI's will help with serotonin but steroids tend to actually lessen serotonin levels, so the combination of a SSRI (Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro) may be beneficial to ones cycle. I'm not recommending antidepressants for people who use steroids, but for those of you who need the drugs, don't sweat it, continue taking your medication while on your cycle.

Thanks for the info, I'm taking Clonzapam which is a benzodiazepine so this is certainly beneficial knowledge for me to have. I take it for anxiety and even though I'm not taking any steriods now I have noticed an increase in my anxiety level over the past year. It would appear that just the increase in natural testosterone can have a similar effect. I'd better check with the doctor next time I see him since I had thought it was just stress related. Great post! Thanks!

i use xanax and trileptal for my anxiety and hyperactivity. i get depressed as fuck when i stopped my meds during a cycle. i sometimes cut my trileptal dose in half because juice changes my liver function which will allow too much trileptal into the bloodstream. since xanax isnt processed thru the liver i keep the dose the same. if you meds go thru the liver( most are), you should get your dosage adjusted. depending on what you are using it can be very unhealthy, ie depakote.

do strattera or zoloft go throught the liver. IM taking zoloft got anxiety and a little depression and im taking straterra for attention and it helps me wake up cause with out it i sleep al day. Will taking these with test be harder on liver then just the test alone.? Does any one think i would like wellburtrin better than zoloft?thanks

simpllyhuge said:
do strattera or zoloft go throught the liver. IM taking zoloft got anxiety and a little depression and im taking straterra for attention and it helps me wake up cause with out it i sleep al day. Will taking these with test be harder on liver then just the test alone.? Does any one think i would like wellburtrin better than zoloft?thanks

Yes, Zoloft hits the liver, and therefore you are putting extra stress on your liver, how much, who really knows for sure? Synthetic Testosterone doesn't really tax the liver much at all, because it's not a 17AA. I would be cautious with the oral 17AA steroids if you're worried. Personally, I don't think that the SSRI's are that stressful to the liver. I've cycled D-bol at 40 mg's per day for 6 1/2 weeks while taking SSRI's like Zoloft with no liver problems at all.

I don't know much about the other drug you're taking, Strattera. Sorry!

Last edited:
Back