stiff-leg deadlifts unnecessary?

BADKITTY

I've been doing regular deadlifts for a while now, and have noticed tremendous improvement in the thickness of my lower back, as well as my hamstrings and glute tie-ins (i pull conventional). i usually do deadlifts on back day, and stiff-legs with dumbbells on leg day for my hams... anyway, a fella in my gym (who is a very well-known PL) told me that stiff-legs are bullshit, and i am wasting my time doing them because "all they are is a weighted stretch". The only thing is they feel so effective; i can barely walk the next day from doing them. what say the people on the effectiveness of stiff-leg deads? thanks in advance!
~Minx

Huh? I LOVE SLD's! Leg day.

I don't understand his reasoning. I don't use dumbells though. I use the bar and I KNOW it's hitting my hammies because I can FEEL it!

Did you solicit his advice or did he just feel the need to offer it?

im not a fan of them myself but if you feel they work for you i wouldnt stop .i would start to vary my ham/lower back work some though with pull throughs,hypers,etc.

thanks ducky! yeh, he just walked right up and told me i was wasting my time; he said that there are several articles on their lack of effectiveness, and even though i'm sore it doesn't do anything for my hams (gain mass, strength, etc). i'm not sure if i should believe him; i just want to do what's most effective!

well Ed coan was known to do them often

there are also a group of PL'ers that pull over 750 that swear by them and rotate them in and out of their routine..

I guess it depends on what you are trying to get from them..doing regular deads and stiffs in te same week prolly isnt needed

strngthmnx said:
I've been doing regular deadlifts for a while now, and have noticed tremendous improvement in the thickness of my lower back, as well as my hamstrings and glute tie-ins (i pull conventional). i usually do deadlifts on back day, and stiff-legs with dumbbells on leg day for my hams... anyway, a fella in my gym (who is a very well-known PL) told me that stiff-legs are bullshit, and i am wasting my time doing them because "all they are is a weighted stretch". The only thing is they feel so effective; i can barely walk the next day from doing them. what say the people on the effectiveness of stiff-leg deads? thanks in advance!
~Minx

i rotate them in on occassion. and yeah ed did them with well over 700.

i dont know any well known PLers from g town sis.

strngthmnx said:
thanks ducky! yeh, he just walked right up and told me i was wasting my time; he said that there are several articles on their lack of effectiveness, and even though i'm sore it doesn't do anything for my hams (gain mass, strength, etc). i'm not sure if i should believe him; i just want to do what's most effective!
Well needless to say I think he's a jackass. Just my humble opinion. ;)

If it's working for you, and judging from your pics I'd say it is, tell him if you'd wanted his advice you'd have asked and "Have a nice day". :)

I agree wit rubberduck. I think they work, both for strength and for size, I reckon if u can feel it, then it works -- especially if its a weighted stretch, that's gonna help you at least with strength. Ask him his reasoning behind why they're a waste of time - there are plenty of guys out there who say stuff to just go against the grain of fairly old school and widely used exercises just for the sake of being different. So I think stiff-deads are good for both back and hams, and gluts too.

strngthmnx: Is it fitness you compete in? here in sweden the rules have changed with the side pose (as in youre avatar) so that you almost have to stand straight sideways. Is it changed in U.S to?

Good choice keeping them, came home from my legday and cant walk almost :)

They are OK, if you want to really get your glute ham tie in, get a glute ham bench. I rotate them in every once in a while but they are not my favorite, Romanians are probably better.

A lot of people I see doing these wrong. If you keep strict form, you won't be walking easily for a while.

I would never stop a woman from doing stiff-leg deadlifts, just pull up from behind a spot the form :)

On a serious note, I have noticed them work, and if you feel sore they are most likely doing something. True on the way down it is more of a weighted stretch, but on the up, concentrat on using the hams and you will be very effective.

I just started doing them. I get sore after every workout from doing them, so they must be working.

I have been curious if I am over working my lower back by doing them, squats and deads in the same week.

If you are concerned with carry-over it really depends on your level of motor learning needed/retainined/and NOT effected by other lifts. Some people can not do a deadlift or squat other than say, box squats, safety bar squat, and rack pulls, or GM's and then hit a big number squatting or deadlifting because they retain a high level of motor skills, and the other lifts do not effect them. For SOME people, doing things like stiff-legs WREAK your groove for regular deads. Depends on the person IMO. I like them, but have found by experience that many lifters need to have lifts that have an extremely high degree of similar intra-musclular coordination as the big lifts, or need to do the big lifts frequently. As a generality, the more expereince you get, the less this is important. If the stiff-legs are for BB'ing purposes only, go for it. AWESOME lift.

Iron Addict

Do em! Go slow and stick your ass out. There is nothing in this world that can make my hams love me more.

"all they are is a weighted stretch" slap who ever said that

Back