Telling Your Doc, or Not Telling Your Doc?

Damn! I have an ankle injury that will require surgery to be corrected. I have elongated ligaments or something? Anyway, when I first started going to my foot doc (podiatrist) for the pain, he couldn't figure out what was up with my ankle. X-rays, multiple MRI's................nothing. He said everything looked good. He couldn't understand why I had so much pain. After my 5th or 6th appointment with him (I was getting tired of seeing him at this point) I told him I had used steroids previously, and asked if that had anything to do with it. He said no way. He said he would have noticed right away if I had any joint damage due to steroids, from the x-rays or the MRI results. He left it at that, and the steroid thing never came up again.

Now I'm shittin myself, wondering if that info was documented.:eek:

my doctor is an old friend of the family and i feel confident anything i tell him or have told him about my Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) use stays confidential.

As a urologist i would urge all of you guys to disclose use of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) if you ever have to come and see me with testicular problems or later in life with prostate problems.
We can negotitate at the time how much of it goes into your medical notes and If necessary it doesn't have to go in. Certainly in my practice in the UK (private and NHS), like most of my colleagues, I am very sensitive to potential future repercussions of medical notes on my patient's ease in obtaining life assurance and private healthcare cover.
But back to the main points:
If you come and see me with a benign testicular lump and I measure your testicular tumour marker blood tests after you have been on gear, especially if you have used HCG ,then they are going to be screwed up. They may come back so out of kilter that I want to cut your testicle off. If you share information about your use of juice then we can make an informed decision together about whether that is necessary.
And with the prostate problems- again its useful to know whether you have accelerated prostate growth due to higher testosterone and DHT levels. If your PSA is high as a result of this it might not save you a prostate biopsy but it will mean I may be more reassured by a negative biposy showing enlargement only and not want to do you all over again.
In general if you are at all concerned that the problem you are seeing your doctor about may be related to use of juice then make a negotiated disclosure of this to your doctor. It may save you loads of unecessary and expensive tests and your doctor will be better placed to give you accurate health advice (assuming they know jack about steroids!)

I wouldnt tell my dr. unless you had to -(1), (2) - before you do HAVE to tell him, have the discussion that StoneColdNTO outlined - that was great.
Insurance co's WILL do everything to not insure you/disclaim on prior pre-existing if they can.
I know I work in that profession.

blue_pill said:
As a urologist i would urge all of you guys to disclose use of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) if you ever have to come and see me with testicular problems or later in life with prostate problems.
We can negotitate at the time how much of it goes into your medical notes and If necessary it doesn't have to go in. Certainly in my practice in the UK (private and NHS), like most of my colleagues, I am very sensitive to potential future repercussions of medical notes on my patient's ease in obtaining life assurance and private healthcare cover.
But back to the main points:
If you come and see me with a benign testicular lump and I measure your testicular tumour marker blood tests after you have been on gear, especially if you have used HCG ,then they are going to be screwed up. They may come back so out of kilter that I want to cut your testicle off. If you share information about your use of juice then we can make an informed decision together about whether that is necessary.
And with the prostate problems- again its useful to know whether you have accelerated prostate growth due to higher testosterone and DHT levels. If your PSA is high as a result of this it might not save you a prostate biopsy but it will mean I may be more reassured by a negative biposy showing enlargement only and not want to do you all over again.
In general if you are at all concerned that the problem you are seeing your doctor about may be related to use of juice then make a negotiated disclosure of this to your doctor. It may save you loads of unecessary and expensive tests and your doctor will be better placed to give you accurate health advice (assuming they know jack about steroids!)

Nice post!

so only disclose if you have to. And the only way to get test to check how your body is handling or handled the Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) you did is if you really really really really trust your doctor to keep things anonymous and off the record? Sound right?

Ok, this is my first post on this board, so what's up to everyone. I'm in med school and I asked my teacher (an md) a very similar question last week. If you go to see a dr. about some non-aas related health prob and just want to let your dr. know, they SHOULD NOT put it in the record your insurance company sees since the insurance comp is not paying for anything aas-related.

BUT, i'd make sure and ask specifically whether your disclosure of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) use will be included in a medical record accessible by your insurance. I'd bet most dr.s will honor your request after the obligatory "drugs are bad, m'kay" speech.

The dr. i asked said he documented drug use in a place not accessible to insurance (not sure where, guess i'll know next year when i get into the hospital) as long as the drug use was not a cause for the dr. visit. On the other hand, if you are getting any tests that your insurance IS PAYING FOR, then they are going to have access to the results.

It all comes back to money. So, you can ask for a blood test and tell them you want to pay for it out of pocket and not use your insurance and you should be fine. Anyway, hope I didn't say too much stuff that was already said. Great board, by the way. Peace.

TheHun: the situation you mention might be applicable to the patients current HMO. However, in the case of applying for new insurance, the new and prospective insurance company (which hasn't paid for ANYTHING) asks for your medical records. For example, they might say, "please forward all medical records from such and such a doctor to us for eligability review." That includes the whole thing.

You have the right to say, "I only give you access to certain records." Hell, you have the right to say, "I give you access to none of my medical records." But that prospective insurance company also has the right to deny you.

Without your consent or a court order, they simply do not lawfully have access to your medical records.

Speaking of which, the police seized medical records for Rush Limbaugh without his consent and without a court order. For once, the ACLU and Rush Limbaugh are united that this is clearly a violation of doctor patient privledge. I fully expect that the evidence will eventually be thrown out, which will help to confirm that this obviously illegal seizure on the part of the police is also considered illegal by the US court system.

Back