The bodybuilding lifestyle.....when does it become an unhealthy obsession?

jozifp103

Most of us here started this lifestyle because it makes us feel good and we like seeing the changes in the mirror and the confidence that comes along with it. The gains come easy at first, but as you progress further you have to be more and more critical of your diet and training if you want to continue to see results. There comes a point where if you want to get to the next level you have to make it your life. You have to live, and breathe it. You have to make sacrifices.

But unless you're making a living off of your body....where do you draw the line? How much are you willing to sacrifice? I've reached the point in my bodybuilding "career" (if you will), where in order to continue to grow and progress I have to be constantly eating, resting, meal prepping, staying hydrated, training, etc etc. My social life has diminished somewhat to seeing my friends and family once or twice a month. I've literally turned down promising careers because the job would not allow me enough time to eat and train the way I need to. You may say that unbelievably stupid, and I'd have to agree. But I've worked so hard at this and it is my life. It is what defines me as a person....not my job. So what's the point of working a good job when it takes away from what you really love. Your career should enable you to do the things you love...not get in the way, right?

Not to mention....finding a female companion that understands that Sunday and Wednesday nights are meal prep nights and the gym will trump anything else. Keeping a girl happy when you barely have time for her. And so on.

I could go on and on about the sacrifices involved in this lifestyle....but I'm sure most of you already understand.

Does anyone else relate to this in any way? How do you find a balance with working hard at your career, wife, kids, social life....and still continue to progress and achieve your goals?

It's a lifestyle choice, no different than guys that go to the bar after work, or veg on the couch. We just live longer. :)

You draw the line where it's no longer enjoyable for you. I'm not saying that I exactly relish the idea of being on a cut, or that gawd awful leg day - but the end being sought IS something I enjoy.

I have zero doubts that I will be doing this for the rest of my life. I may inevitably have to change things, and I'm sure as I get older I'll have to switch more to a maintenance phase, but the rewards are still completely worth it. :)

If you can't find a woman that understands this, you need to spend some time in a "big box" gym. I'm married, and have more NPC/IFBB gals trying to exchange information because they claim too many MEN don't "get it". Yeah, crazy eh?

The bodybuilding lifestyle.....when does it become an unhealthy obsession?

Mmmmmmmm this question can be answered many different ways.

If you go to my gym, you will see 18-21 year olds on gear. People running year long tren cycles and overall just don't know how to use gear and just listen to the big guys at the gym(who also don't know what they're doing). So to answer the question, I would say for some people it almost instantly becomes unhealthy.

Then again I can't speak like I know all that. Just last July I was in the ER hooked up to all kinds of machines because I was having Atrial fibrillation caused by Hyperthyroidism. The cause for that was me taking T3 hormone. Turns out my thyroid is extremely sensitive to that(I was taking normal dose). And why was I doing this? All because I wanted a "SoCal beach body" but I was too undisciplined to stop eating Taco Bell burritos and In N Out burgers and fries 4 days a week. So to answer the question again I would say at that point it became unhealthy.

And then of course there is the people who do know what they're doing and are disciplined but it's such a huge obsession for them to go on stage and win, that they will put 2-5g of gear as well as HgG into their system every week. I could be wrong but taking a fuck ton of gear even if you are dieting, donating blood and taking AI's still cannot be good for you.

Overall what I am trying to say is it all depends on the person. If you know what you are doing, stay disciplined, and do gear in moderate amounts then I think it can be a safe lifestyle.

EDIT: Oh and listen to your body. Like I figured out the hard way that my thyroid is sensitive to the T3 hormone, and I was taking what was considered a "normal" amount. Days before I got the A-Fib, I was getting heart palpitations and racing heart rate while resting. ignored signs and ended up in ER. Also remember 2 years ago I was reading old DNP thread in another forum. Dude was doing a DNP log. Around day 15 at 450mg he started experiencing burning sensations on his foot. Everyone told him to drop the DNP. He was determined to finish the 21 days. He ended up getting Peripheral neuropathy so bad that he could beraly walk(he made another thread a few months later) .

Last edited:
I have to agree with HW where the line is. When youve crossed the line that divides happy and unhappy thats when its too much. For the average guy who is doing this as a hobby and not getting paid to do it it would be foolish IMO to ruin relationships, job oportunities, or miss out on numerous important things life has to offer.

Ill always train but there is a healthy balance in my life of that and all the other things that make life fun and enjoyable. If I want to go see a movie and eat a large popcorn with butter, a soda, and a bag of candy then you damn well better believe Im going to do just that :)

Well if Im going to keep it real here, I must say that "bodybuilding isnt a priority in mt life. I dont even consider what I do to be truly "bodybuilding". My workouts are more of a theraputic obsesion for me. Dont get me wrong when I say its not priority, I do love to workout And the benefits that come with. But I have a family & job, to state the biggies, that must come first. There are times that I fantacize and wish that I had more time & money, to build the body I have dreamed of since a young age. But the decisions Ive made and paths in life Ive chose havent really allowed that dream to come true. Its mainly a fun outlet for me that, like I said, is theraputic, both physically and mentally...definantly keeps me sane!! Besides with the help of guidance from the fellas on this forum and AAS, Ive gotten to where Ive had people ask me on occasion, " are you a bodybuilder'? lol. And I get alot of compliments on my physique, say when Im out with my lady or so. So Ill take that and be happy. Long of the short is, It hasnt become an unhealthy obsession for me so Ill shut up and listen now....Thanks for listening fellas!! ;-)

I m w Soldier, HW and Shredder.

I do it cuz
I enjoy it
My mental stability is dependent upon it
My work--being able to handle people w-o touching them through deterrence helps and being able to crush them when I do....

AND the biggie...Vanity. Not sinful but I cannot imagine being or becoming a cotton ball. Being raised in Europe being fat at lest where we re from is rare. I m ex power lifter so strength matters...though my lift s are more x 10 rep s now.

I think obsession come s in when u run aas despite BW telling you to back off or stop altogether...or u throw all social skill s away to get that w o in...but yes, it s a choice.

Well if Im going to keep it real here, I must say that "bodybuilding isnt a priority in mt life. I dont even consider what I do to be truly "bodybuilding". My workouts are more of a theraputic obsesion for me. Dont get me wrong when I say its not priority, I do love to workout And the benefits that come with. But I have a family & job, to state the biggies, that must come first. There are times that I fantacize and wish that I had more time & money, to build the body I have dreamed of since a young age. But the decisions Ive made and paths in life Ive chose havent really allowed that dream to come true. Its mainly a fun outlet for me that, like I said, is theraputic, both physically and mentally...definantly keeps me sane!! Besides with the help of guidance from the fellas on this forum and AAS, Ive gotten to where Ive had people ask me on occasion, " are you a bodybuilder'? lol. And I get alot of compliments on my physique, say when Im out with my lady or so. So Ill take that and be happy. Long of the short is, It hasnt become an unhealthy obsession for me so Ill shut up and listen now....Thanks for listening fellas!! ;-)

Life needs balance. Family, job, hobbies(self) Spend the most time with those people and things that makes us happier. Jobs are necessary evils so we can enjoy other things

I'm 46. Been lifting for 27 years. In my 20s was pretty hard core. 30s still hard core but started to value other things more. Now in my 40s I still train hard and use the gear I need to be acceptable in my own eyes. Many guys I know have done the same as myself. You reach a point in life where other aspects of life are valued more than bodybuilding. I will never stop training but I have so many more aspects to my life that I value just as much. Not everyone will feel this way but it happens.

GREAT stuff guys. This was very helpful for me. I'll admit that I've become so obsessed with this life and the way I look that it has had a negative impact on my overall happiness and success in life. I need to focus on what's important which is my career, friends and family. This has been very eye opening thank you all.

Back