Thyroid Hormones

StoneColdNTO

Administrator
THYROID HORMONES are known to help in weight loss by stimulating metabolism — and cutting cholesterol — but come with the unwanted side effect of speeding up the heartbeat.
The activity of these hormones is regulated by chemicals called hormone receptors. A team of researchers has found a way to encourage one of them, but not the other, eliminating the dangerous heart side effect.
The findings of the team led by Gary R. Grover of the Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute are reported Monday in the online edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Dr. Jules Hirsch of Rockefeller University, who was not part of the research team, called the report “hopeful in a very early stage.

“This is a valid and important and interesting piece of research,” he said, which reopens an area of study with better tools that scientists have had in the past.
More long-term animal studies are needed to see if the hormone receptors adapt in some way, Hirsch added. Grover has worked with mice, rats and monkeys.
While most research into obesity has focused on appetite suppression, Grover said he decided to look for ways to help burn more energy, but do it in the safest way possible.
“This is really a novel way of looking at obesity,” he said.

“It’s an interesting and intriguing finding, but it needs more investigation,” added Brian Henry of Bristol-Myers Squibb.
Grover stressed that he is not administering thyroid hormones, which is permitted only for patients whose thyroids do not function properly.
The goal, he said, is to develop a treatment to assist obese people with normal thyroid function.
Hormone receptors that facilitate the action of thyroid hormones are divided into two main types, Grover’s team reported. Receptor-a seems to be more important in regulating heart rate while receptor-b is involved in cholesterol lowering and metabolism.

They found a chemical called KB-141 that encourages the action of receptor-b many times more strongly than receptor-a.
Whole body oxygen consumption, a measure of metabolism, was increased in animals given KB-141 and the monkeys had a 7 percent loss of body weight in a week without affects on the heart, the researchers reported.
Grover said he is continuing to work with KB-141 as well as other compounds to see if they will have similar effects.

orginaly posted by lifthard

Wow. The experimental animals lost 6% body weight in a week, that's impressive.
I wonder what %age of that was LBM vs fat.

i have taken t3 up to 150mcgs a day and althouth i didnt have it tested i did not notice any change in heartbeat and my bp never went up :confused:

DADAWG said:
i have taken t3 up to 150mcgs a day and althouth i didnt have it tested i did not notice any change in heartbeat and my bp never went up :confused:

but what, if any, did it affect your thyroid permentantly?

also, this is a excelent article you found stonecoldnto.

T3 gets thrown around alot lately on the board...i was going to use it, but my bro's girlfriend has a very fucked up thyroid..she is dropping weight badly...her heart is fucked up and she is on meds to fix it...

although it is readily available, i think we should have a forum or some stickys with the pros and cons and maybe some care and after care...

my other bro got some clen and t3 online becaus he heard some bros talking about losing some weight etc while training, and he got it and was ready to jump on it without a clue to what he was going to do...

he was just going to go with the flow per say...

stupidist thing i ever heard of....

E

you should always do research before deciding on what to do. i was thinking about doing some suspension, but after some research, and this months MD article on it i have decided against it.

DADAWG said:

Dawg! Are you sure that stuff was real? At 150mcg, your heart should be zipping along in the upper range.

buffdoc said:
Dawg! Are you sure that stuff was real? At 150mcg, your heart should be zipping along in the upper range.
well the weight loss was there , and some sweats , plus ive used it a couple of times from different reliable sources . i also dont get a rapid heartbeat from eca either , i have taken as many as 8-10 xenadrine a day :confused:

DADAWG said:
well the weight loss was there , and some sweats , plus ive used it a couple of times from different reliable sources . i also dont get a rapid heartbeat from eca either , i have taken as many as 8-10 xenadrine a day :confused:

Very interesting. I wonder, does your heart rate respond well to cardio, etc? I mean, do you mount an increase in rate from exercise? Sounds like you have a resistance to catecholamines (epi, norepi, etc). Your not on any beta blockers, are you?

DADAWG said:

Now just maybe............. you're so old, you're actually dead and therefore nothing effects that old heart of your's..........LMFAO !!

:D :40oz:

buffdoc said:
Very interesting. I wonder, does your heart rate respond well to cardio, etc? I mean, do you mount an increase in rate from exercise? Sounds like you have a resistance to catecholamines (epi, norepi, etc). Your not on any beta blockers, are you?
no beta blockers bro my heart rate goes up if i really go at the cardio , which i dont do :D , the only meds i take are bextra [ anti inflammatory ] and tarazadone [ 150 mg to sleep ] even though im 5-9 and my weight fluctuates up over 300 sometimes and my bp still stays 120 over 80 plus or minus a few points , i even get tested while im on dbol which swells me like a whale and it might go up a couple of points

Back