Training style during cycle

Harnold

I'd love to hear what most guys and girls training style is while on cycle. You hear of people training medium to high rep range but also hear of people going balls out with heavy as possible training.
I personally find while on cycle big weights equal big gains, but I'm interested in others thoughts on this. This training I prefer also includes large food consumption.

Well i powerlift but my theory is train like a savage the more muscle you break down the more pain you endure the bigger and stronger you become. Ive had the most amazing gains and jumps in strength when i have beat myself up to the point where im in agony. When you get through that pain you become a new person its very spiritual lol

Well i powerlift but my theory is train like a savage the more muscle you break down the more pain you endure the bigger and stronger you become. Ive had the most amazing gains and jumps in strength when i have beat myself up to the point where im in agony. When you get through that pain you become a new person its very spiritual lol

some sort of trauma based bulk control sir?

One to two good warm up sets avoiding real fatigue. Then 3-4 sets of 4-8 reps with overload to complete failure. Three exercises for one muscle or group.

your diet and training should be optimized wither your on cycle or off ..so if your training is completely optimized (on cycle or not) what changes on cycle?

when on cycle your MRV changes (increases) because your strength goes up and so does your ability to recover. So being your MRV goes up, you should adjust your training to correspond with that. More volume, and more weight.

Of course your training 'style' does not matter , thats all based on your specific goal for whatever meso-cycle you may happen to be in (wither it be a massing and hypertrophy phase, a strength phase, cutting phase etc.). No point in changing training 'style' just cause your on a steroid cycle .. if your in a strength phase then still train for strength.

MRV = Maximum Recoverable Volume. -- the maximum amount of work load and volume you can do and still be able to fully recover from the training.

If you can push heavier weight, and you can recover faster while on cycle ,, then MRV increases. so adjust your training to your new MRV while on cycle.. more sets, more reps, more weight

example , if your MRV while off cycle allowed for 25 working sets a week for quads , while on cycle that could be 30 . or another way to think of it is if you could handle and recover while off cycle from 6 sets of squats at 315 lbs for 8 reps as part of your working sets for quads,, then while on cycle you can simply adjust that up and handle 8 sets of 345 lbs for 8 reps.

keep in mind your MRV is 'total body' MRV and it has a cap/limit . if you adjust your volume up while on cycle, don't expect to be able to up your volume evenly across all body parts ,, you'll exceed your MRV and then not recover well and then not grow . You'll more then likely have to focus on a few select body parts to increase your volume for . you can bring up your back and legs for example,, but you only have so much MRV to work with so don't expect you'll be able to bring up you back and legs , plus your arms and chest and shoulders , on that given meso-cycle . you have limit and thus have to be selective. your next meso-cylce can be focused on increase volume for other body parts to bring up. it can't be done all at once on one cycle. its a marathon, not a sprint . it takes years and years of training to build a well rounded physique.

Last edited:
Another thing to add here , doing one body part per week training or classic "bro split" is definitely NOT recommended while on cycle . Example , chest day Monday, back day Tuesday, leg day Thursday , arm day Friday etc.. Then back to Chest Monday.

Why not? That's not hitting body parts near frequent enough especially while on cycle and your body is recovering at a faster rate . Your chest does not need a whole week to recover , in fact waiting that long after recovery has taken place your pec muscles will go back to homeostasis (with no need to grow)**

** this is true for most of us , unless your a 280 pound guy with massive amounts of muscle and your chest day volume is so high and intense cause your benching 550 pounds that it causes so much metabolic and homeostatic stress that it needs a whole week to recover .
But if your an average guy benching 225lbs for reps ,, then your not anywhere close to causing enough stimulus and metabolic stress to need a full weeks recovery (especially while on cycle when your recovery is accelerated)

Last edited:
your diet and training should be optimized wither your on cycle or off ..so if your training is completely optimized (on cycle or not) what changes on cycle?

when on cycle your MRV changes (increases) because your strength goes up and so does your ability to recover. So being your MRV goes up, you should adjust your training to correspond with that. More volume, and more weight.

Of course your training 'style' does not matter , thats all based on your specific goal for whatever meso-cycle you may happen to be in (wither it be a massing and hypertrophy phase, a strength phase, cutting phase etc.). No point in changing training 'style' just cause your on a steroid cycle .. if your in a strength phase then still train for strength.

MRV = Maximum Recoverable Volume. -- the maximum amount of work load and volume you can do and still be able to fully recover from the training.

If you can push heavier weight, and you can recover faster while on cycle ,, then MRV increases. so adjust your training to your new MRV while on cycle.. more sets, more reps, more weight

example , if your MRV while off cycle allowed for 25 working sets a week for quads , while on cycle that could be 30 . or another way to think of it is if you could handle and recover while off cycle from 6 sets of squats at 315 lbs for 8 reps as part of your working sets for quads,, then while on cycle you can simply adjust that up and handle 8 sets of 345 lbs for 8 reps.

keep in mind your MRV is 'total body' MRV and it has a cap/limit . if you adjust your volume up while on cycle, don't expect to be able to up your volume evenly across all body parts ,, you'll exceed your MRV and then not recover well and then not grow . You'll more then likely have to focus on a few select body parts to increase your volume for . you can bring up your back and legs for example,, but you only have so much MRV to work with so don't expect you'll be able to bring up you back and legs , plus your arms and chest and shoulders , on that given meso-cycle . you have limit and thus have to be selective. your next meso-cylce can be focused on increase volume for other body parts to bring up. it can't be done all at once on one cycle. its a marathon, not a sprint . it takes years and years of training to build a well rounded physique.

Thank you for such an educating statement!

One to two good warm up sets avoiding real fatigue. Then 3-4 sets of 4-8 reps with overload to complete failure. Three exercises for one muscle or group.
That's basically exactly how I've been training,,,,,except a little higher reps, but still heavy on the legs.

Thank you. I found that very interesting. Deep down I think I knew, I just needed to hear it from someone else. Lol

On or off cycle, my training is the same. I go as hard as I can. Food on the other hand, this changes big time depending on my cycle goals.

On or off cycle, my training is the same. I go as hard as I can. Food on the other hand, this changes big time depending on my cycle goals.

your training style and principles probably stay the same , but i bet your volume changes , it can't help but to go up when on gear

Back