Triceps,, Elbow pain...

bigbuffstaples

"Who is your Daddy and what does he do?"
Hello all,

I've been working out for a few years now, and the ONE thing i always have trouble with especially in the last few months, is training my triceps,,,, i can do bench and shoulder press with no issues, so i've been doing close grip bench, and sometimes even dips don't hurt, but if i do like ANY other tricep exercise it starts to hurt my elbows almost immediatly....

I have no injuries that i'm aware of, and i'm fairly strong for my size,,, i dont wanna just do 30 reps per set to make the tricpes work. Anyone else have this same problem? if so, what can i do? and if not the same problem, any advice???

Thanks.

try lightening up on your grip it may be the cause of the stress on your tendons. Once I lightened up on my grip my tendonitis eventually went away.

Specifically, what exercises are causing pain? I think the best exercise by far for tri's are heavy benches,,,,regular, with board, floor presses maybe.

I had this problem before and PB suggested that when I squat I extend my arms out all the way like I'm flying. Problem went away. Turns out when I would squat I had a really close grip w/ my hands about shoulder length apart so basically it was like I was trying to tricep press several hundred pounds and that put a lot of strain on the tendon.

whether you know it or not, most likely you do have an elbow ingury. If you have been training for few yrs, you probably developed it over time from doing bench presses, skull crushers, tricep pull downs, etc... you have got to keep away from locking when doing these excersises. Like i said, most likely this is what has caused your ingury. Any professional body builder will tell you the same thing, to keep away from locking. its very bad and hard on your elbows. Your elbows are made up of joint, ligaments, tendons, and bone. those ligaments and joints are extremly fragile and brittle and if mistreated, can be ingured easily. Id suggest hitting up a heating pad during the evenings and getting some glucosomine. Id just take it easy. when it comes to tricep training, do mostly pulldowns. stay away from overhead dumbbell extentions, dips, etc...as these put lots of stress on your elblows. Also, you can wrap them, and that will help with the pain. good luck bro, just dont push it to much until you are fully capable of doing so.

By some linement, and some elbow sleeves. Apply and cover, it should take the pain away.

jcp2 said:
By some linement, and some elbow sleeves. Apply and cover, it should take the pain away.

This is probably a great idea, I know Dorian Yates did this also. I have the same problem in my left elbow when doing DB Laterals, I haven't been able to do laterals for 3 months now.

alright good advice everyone,,, i'm going to do some triceps today so i'll see how it goes and i'll try and go light, maybe more reps,,, i haven't been able to do skull crushers of any kind for months now, so i'll keep avoiding those.

Thanks again.

tricep extensions bothers my shoulder/elbows and I really can't work with them at all. skullcrushes are sometimes a pain too, especially single arm DB tri extensions. i stick with press movements.

If you can do bench without elbow pain, then count yourself fortunate.

What about dumbbell press? And bands?

epicondylitis, tendonitits, who knows for sure?

physical therapist/orhtopedic ftw

btw - the moment you experience pain you need to stop what your doing

Last edited:
Onswoll said:
whether you know it or not, most likely you do have an elbow ingury. If you have been training for few yrs, you probably developed it over time from doing bench presses, skull crushers, tricep pull downs, etc... you have got to keep away from locking when doing these excersises. Like i said, most likely this is what has caused your ingury. Any professional body builder will tell you the same thing, to keep away from locking. its very bad and hard on your elbows. Your elbows are made up of joint, ligaments, tendons, and bone. those ligaments and joints are extremly fragile and brittle and if mistreated, can be ingured easily. Id suggest hitting up a heating pad during the evenings and getting some glucosomine. Id just take it easy. when it comes to tricep training, do mostly pulldowns. stay away from overhead dumbbell extentions, dips, etc...as these put lots of stress on your elblows. Also, you can wrap them, and that will help with the pain. good luck bro, just dont push it to much until you are fully capable of doing so.

excellent post

i've stuck with just dips, close grip bench and light pushdowns using the rope, and occassionally i do kickbacks for the burn,,, so far so good, tri's seem to be doing much better, no pains :)

Thanks for the tips everyone

Back