TRT and a Hairy situation- your thoughts on what to doc...4 years later why now?

What would you do?

• Lower TRT Dose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quit TRT

• Babes Love Hairy and thinning hair

• No answer was applicable to what I would do

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dcrazy

Hi Guys,

I have been on TRT for 4 years. I started at 26, and am now 30. I have an appointment with the physician Later today, and need your help, as to what to ask( yes same person giving the test ). I was taking test Cyp 200mg EOW for 3 years. Then 100mg EW for a month or two, then 150mg EW for 9 months. However, roughly 3 months ago my brand changed( still 150mg EW ), and this is when I started to getting side effects. I noticed abnormal hair growth on my upper chest( smooth before )....I started to notice hair on my shoulder, then on the triceps, then other places. Also places on my torso where I had hair has gotten thicker. Also, a few weeks ago, I noticed my hair in on scalp getting thinner. I mean virtually in 3-4 months time my body looked like a 25 year old with shirt off, to a 40 year old. I didn't know wtf was going on. So when I seen a thinning spot on head...I basically said fck that. What is weird is that I have been on TRT for 4 years!!! Why now with the effects?

So I called a doc and had labs done and did my own:redhot:. I noticed we never checked DHT. Also to note...half of my blood work my Estradiol has been high, namely in the 40-90 range, about 50% of the time- More increasingly with EW shots. I will post a lab at the bottom and what effects things had at different dosages. However, I noted this to an Endo- nothing happened for an A.I and my doc. So the E2 is a side note- no gyno or anything. What gives with the hair, and lack there of? The only thing I changed physically was I cut 20lbs in 16 weeks for summer. I am 5ft.8 @186. I was 204-207. Guys I can live with acne, sometimes Cystic...I can deal with some Atrophy of the testicles, but not the quick abnormal hair growth all over and thinning of hair on part or parts of scalp. I am not on HCG or an A.I. So my question to you guys...If I stop TRT will my hair, I noticed on scalp grow back? If I lower T dose, will it grow back or stop? My father didn't start to thin until mid 40s, and he actually thinned from the top, not front right. My mother as a full set of hair, so does her mother. My hair is thick on scalp...I mean they use a number 2.5 on top and 1 on sides, and sometimes sizzor cut behind bangs after.......So when I took my Labs, one lab at my troph was: 548 Free test and TT 818...the free Test was high!!! Then I had another test done, my TT was beyond 1500 at peak! So then I looked at DHT. Am I wrong in this? My DHT was 602...and the range for that was 106-719. This was at Troph but my free test was at 217 and total was 582. Also, that last Lab I gave, I actually lowered my Test to 120mg that week. I have now lowered my Test to 105mg. Main concern is hair. Here is the lab of the 120mg test dosage, after seeing the free test high on a troph on one previous Test and my Test Total high on a peak subsequent Test. I will post my lab, then how I felt with each dose throughout the 4 years.

So at 120mg at troph, I got my levels back. I checked DHT. So understand these results are 8 days out of a 120mg injection.

My Test Total:
Scale:300-1080

Free test:
Scale: 47-244

SHB:
Scale: 11-80
DHT:
Scale: 106-719

My regular dose was 150mg- however, been since dosing down. When my DHT was checked( upon my request ) I did 120mg that week( see above ). So, unless I find a doc who can treat my DHT levels- getting them in good non hair thinning range- and prob estrogen as well....I might just quit TRT. I mean my insurance covers the testosterone, so it is Pharm grade. Also Covers my needles, alchol swabs etc. So I thought it was a good deal. However, anyone's thoughts on quitting TRT, and what to expect..quitting? Also, am I wrong suspecting DHT for the hair? Also, the elevated levels of estrogen for extra fat on mid section? Also would hair regrow after quitting or lowering the dose? Have no clue what to say to the doctor lol.

Last thoughts on 200mg EOW I seen some cystic Acne, some needed cut open in the ER. My estrogen was slightly at times elevated. I would also feel almost like blood pressure was elevating at times. My test never measured super physiological.
200mg was on for 3 years

@ 150mg EW 1 year total- First 9 months
Cystic acne was about the same, my Blood pressure feelings somewhat diminished. More proactive aggressive- not roid rage- although iritable at times, almost a perfectionist....but got a lot done. Estrogen was higher! 60-90. Strength fell off a little.

@150mg EW- After distributor change- Last 3 months
Cystic Acne got worse, Hair growth on body, Hair thinning in a spot on scalp, Continued high estrogen, Test super physiological, free test got above normal on a troph. Erections the best ever, but my physical strength fell off - DHT high end of normal, measuring 602 on a scale of 106-719- this at troph. ******Do note: First time I ever checked DHT*******

First, I have to admit I started skimming towards the end.

Changing your protocol could help. Injecting smaller doses twice a week will lower your TT peaks and increase your TT troughs. In other words, you will not be on as big of a rollercoaster ride. This in turn will result in less testosterone aromatizing into estradiol. This would help a lot.

You could lower the amount you are taking in a week's time. That would help as well.

I am surprised that you would consider stopping TRT. I am presuming that you went to TRT due to Hypogonadism. Would you really want to return to feeling like that again and accepting the long-term health risks associated with Hypogonadism? All over some hair on your chest and thinning on the top of your head? Seriously?

Why didn't you ever manage your estradiol when it was elevated?

I would encourage your to start using hCG. Having balls again will really make your sex life more enjoyable. And there are thought to be other benefits of running hCG while on TRT -- "Backfilling" of pathways.

First, I have to admit I started skimming towards the end.

Changing your protocol could help. Injecting smaller doses twice a week will lower your TT peaks and increase your TT troughs. In other words, you will not be on as big of a rollercoaster ride. This in turn will result in less testosterone aromatizing into estradiol. This would help a lot.

You could lower the amount you are taking in a week's time. That would help as well.

I am surprised that you would consider stopping TRT. I am presuming that you went to TRT due to Hypogonadism. Would you really want to return to feeling like that again and accepting the long-term health risks associated with Hypogonadism? All over some hair on your chest and thinning on the top of your head? Seriously?

Why didn't you ever manage your estradiol when it was elevated?

I would encourage your to start using hCG. Having balls again will really make your sex life more enjoyable. And there are thought to be other benefits of running hCG while on TRT -- "Backfilling" of pathways.

It's really the Test is converting to DHT. I have excessive abdnormal hair growth in the last 3 months on my body, and noticed a thin spot on scalp a few weeks ago. Have been on TRT for 4 years. 3 years @ 200mg EOW- I list the sides or lack there of I had with that. I also was on 150mg a week for 9 months, then 3 months of 150mg- but a brand change- and boom..I noticed hair growth like crazy. I have thick hair on top, and like it to stay that way...I also don't want to look like a neanderthal either. I also noticed my acne getting worse. I can live with acne, some cystic....I can also live with small atrophy...however, not the hair. I ust started checking DHT levels bc of the symptoms and free test being high at troph. Sure enough even at a lower dose of 120mg at troph, my DHT was 602 in a range of 106-719. Then I tested my DHT at peak with 135mg....and it came back 97 with a range of 40-84. My estrogen has always mainly been high on half my labs the last 4 years, but more namely with once per week. I barely see people have sides after 4 years on boards. So idk. I approached my doc today, she really wanted to lower my dose to 120- bc that is what I used on a Lab test, and I said I am already down to 105mg a week. She basically let me call the shots with my dosage....which I guess is great if you want to abuse TRT. Heck my insurance pays for the test, syringes, etc....However, the hair sides...no way, not at 30.

1. You WILL go bald if you're thinning on TRT, with or without it. It's just the hand mommy nature dealt you. You need to decide how you're going to deal with that regardless of where you get your testosterone from.

2. Abnormal growth? No. It's simply just you getting older, and things being sped up a little. You WILL grow this hair no matter how much you tank your testosterone levels. It's inevitable, and just part of being a male with your specific DNA. Welcome to the yeti club, we have razors and clippers at the meeting table. ;)

Tron gave good advice on how to beat side effects that come from spikes due to poor injection frequency. Unfortunately, the hair issues you're having come from your parents, and will need to be addressed if they bother you that much.

I personally can grow a full head of (greying) hair, but choose to shave my head. As I really started enjoying the benefits of the bodybuilding lifestyle, I then started shaving everywhere else. I even found a neat clipper for back hair (the "Mangroomer") on amazon. It's just a matter of what you want to do, and how you go about it. :)

Before you start chucking money at hair lotions and drugs, I do recommend that you research them. Many have really nasty potential sides that may not be worth it to you.

My .02c :)

Back