UFC Event In Works for July 19

Eze

July 19 could become a crowded night for mixed martial arts.

The UFC is currently planning an event that Saturday night to be televised live on Spike TV, Sherdog.com has learned from multiple industry sources.

The proposed event would take place the same evening that popular clothing line entrepreneurs Affliction will make their foray into the pay-per-view market with "Banned," its first MMA event at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. Zuffa's impromptu event, which is being pulled together on five weeks' notice, is tentatively scheduled to be held in Las Vegas.

Studied strikers Wanderlei Silva and Brandon Vera have been approached to clash in a light heavyweight main event, though other combinations of one or both of these fighters are also being considered.

Advertising at Sherdog.com

Pay $50 for UFC
OR
Pay $50 for Affliction

Seems like an easy choice to me. Vera isn't much of a PPV grab considering he is on a two fight losing streak. Bad idea for UFC to hold this event UNLESS they offer it free on spike TV or something like that just to keep people from paying for Affliction

My immediate thoughts are, bad move for UFC.. Either way it's going to cost them alot of money to put this together and if it's on Spike it will be free... so anyone who lives in this century and has cable/sat DVR or recorder would just order the Affliction fight and record the UFC event to watch later.. that's what I'd do :) ..and I'm a huge UFC fan.

im not paying for affliction. a bunch of jungle fighters and ufc rejects and im supposed to pay $50 for it? i dont think so. ufc should make it a free event on spike and they will probably effectively kill the affliction events viewership.

No way in hell UFC can make an event to be competitive with the Affliction card, especially not on this time frame.

Anderson Silva is about to make the jump.

The UFC middleweight champion has accepted an invitation to move up to the light heavyweight division for a bout with James Irvin (Pictures) at an impromptu UFC event July 19 in Las Vegas. Heavyweight prospect Brandon Vera (Pictures) has also agreed to make a move in the opposite direction -- he'll face former International Fight League rep Reese Andy (Pictures) in a co-featured bout at 205 pounds, multiple sources have confirmed to Sherdog.com.

The event, which is being assembled on five weeks' notice, will air live on Spike TV the same night that Affliction Entertainment hosts its first pay-per-view card, "Banned," at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Silva will not vacate his 185-pound title and is expected to return to the division he has dominated handily to defend his crown. The Brazilian, known as "The Spider" for his long limbs and athletic prowess, could continue to fight in both weight classes in the future though.

Silva silenced many critics at UFC 82 on March 1 in Columbus, Ohio, when he tagged Pride middleweight champion Dan Henderson (Pictures) with strikes, then finished the Olympic Greco-Roman wrestler with a rear-naked choke late in the second round. The victory unified the two world titles.

Silva, 33, tore his way through the UFC's middleweight ranks, notching victories over Travis Lutter (Pictures), Nate Marquardt, Henderson and former champion Rich Franklin (Pictures) on two occasions.

His bout with Irvin will mark Silva's second appearance on cable television since his 49-second destruction of "The Ultimate Fighter" alumnus Chris Leben (Pictures) at Ultimate Fight Night 5 in June 2006.

Irvin cleared his path to Silva when he knocked out Houston Alexander (Pictures) at UFC Fight Night 13 last April. The native of Sacramento, Calif., was slated to face "The Ultimate Fighter 2" winner Rashad Evans (Pictures) at UFC 85 in London but was replaced after he broke his foot in preparation. Irvin has recently returned to a full training schedule.

The multifaceted Vera will have only a six-week turnaround for his bout with Andy following a controversial first-round stoppage loss to Fabricio Werdum (Pictures) at UFC 85 on June 7 in London. After a promising four-fight win streak in the Octagon, Vera dropped a three-round decision to former heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia (Pictures) at UFC 77 last October. Vera sustained a broken hand in the bout.

A resident of Seattle, Andy posted five victories in six fights for the IFL, rotating between light heavyweight and heavyweight for the Tiger Sharks team. Andy holds notable wins over Mike Ciesnolevicz (Pictures), Jamal Patterson (Pictures) and Krzysztof Soszynski (Pictures), whom he edged out via a split decision in his last appearance in June 2007.

That's very ironic cuz I was thinking, the only way they'll (UFC) be able pull any viewers is by having a GSP or Silva match up.. Wow, guess they we were thinking the same thing. I still don't think it's enough to kill the affliction card..IMHO I will watch both though ;)

i find it funny that i bet most people saying this affliction card is so great hated sylvia's guts when he was a ufc champ. now that he is with affliction he is a top heavyweight and its going to be such a great fight. there is definitely a group of people that are anti-dana white, pro-fedor that want affliction to do well at dana white's expense. i was reading the forum at sherdog and some people take it personally that many of them will be watching ufc and not affliction. they call dana white cold hearted/devil/etc. because he is putting on a competing show that will kill afflictions show. too much emotional investment in the dana white aspect of things and not enough focus on entertainment.

i find it funny that i bet most people saying this affliction card is so great hated sylvia's guts when he was a ufc champ. now that he is with affliction he is a top heavyweight and its going to be such a great fight. there is definitely a group of people that are anti-dana white, pro-fedor that want affliction to do well at dana white's expense. i was reading the forum at sherdog and some people take it personally that many of them will be watching ufc and not affliction. they call dana white cold hearted/devil/etc. because he is putting on a competing show that will kill afflictions show. too much emotional investment in the dana white aspect of things and not enough focus on entertainment.

I hate Tym Sylvia with a passion. I do however respect his move to leave the contractual stiflings of the UFC for the ability to fight more often and face better competition. How often do you see 4 of the top 10 fighters in a division on the same card? It's unheard of.

I hate Tym Sylvia with a passion. I do however respect his move to leave the contractual stiflings of the UFC for the ability to fight more often and face better competition. How often do you see 4 of the top 10 fighters in a division on the same card? It's unheard of.

1. heavyweights suck. the last thing id want in a card is 4 heavyweights no matter how they are ranked.

2. sylvia is hated because his fights suck. he doesnt entertain fans.

3. its clear people supporting this card are doing it for the anti-dana white factor.

im all for competition but not at the expense of my entertainment. the affliction show is going to suck and they want to charge money for it. ill take anderson silva and dana white for the tko.

I understand why you don't like heavyewights. You only watch UFC, and UFC puts on many a lackluster heavyweight affair. What you don't understand is that with the world class heavys like Fedor, Aleksander, Barnett, etc. you get an entertaining fight. Some people might be buying the card simply to take profits from UFC, but others who are actually mma purists realize what a great card it really is.

I understand why you don't like heavyewights. You only watch UFC, and UFC puts on many a lackluster heavyweight affair. What you don't understand is that with the world class heavys like Fedor, Aleksander, Barnett, etc. you get an entertaining fight. Some people might be buying the card simply to take profits from UFC, but others who are actually mma purists realize what a great card it really is.

yeah, the ufc used to put tim sylvia into the heavyweight events, that sucked.

i hated heavyweights back from when i would watch boxing. they just dont put on as good of a show as the lower weight classes. also ill repeat, most most of those guys wouldnt even make it onto a ufc fight card.

im not sure why mma purists love this card so much but i think it has more to do with being anti-dana white than it does really believing this is a great card.

i hated heavyweights back from when i would watch boxing. they just dont put on as good of a show as the lower weight classes. also ill repeat, most most of those guys wouldnt even make it onto a ufc fight card.

im not sure why mma purists love this card so much but i think it has more to do with being anti-dana white than it does really believing this is a great card.

Well your view of mma is very one sided and narrow. Saying these fighters wouldn't make it onto a UFC card is just ignorant. Fedor, Aleksander, and Josh would tear every UFC heavyweight to pieces (and Fedor has already done so to Nog twice). The heavyweight thing really comes down to personal preference. I am a heavyweight so I guess I can relate a little better, but I enjoy all of the weight classes, even the featherweights and bantamweights.

Back