Using the pad while you squat.....

I use it. But I really don't think it makes a difference with squats. But I've got in the habit of throwing it on there cause I do a lot of standing shoulder press. It's nice to have that cushion when those last few reps land a little hard haha.

I saw some guys using some sort of blue rubber or plastic pad the other day at the gym and I actually laughed out loud.

That could be the Manta Ray which is ok if you have mobility/tendinitis issues but generally speaking there shouldn't be anything between you and the bar except a shirt.

High bar squatting with the pad seems ridiculous, once the weight is heavy enough to hurt you probably have decent traps to cushion it IMO...and I'm trying to imagine how a pad would help a low-bar squatter, where all the weight should be on the rear delts / mid trap area anyways?

High bar squatting with the pad seems ridiculous, once the weight is heavy enough to hurt you probably have decent traps to cushion it IMO...and I'm trying to imagine how a pad would help a low-bar squatter, where all the weight should be on the rear delts / mid trap area anyways?

If its heavy enough to hurt your neck just imagine the force its putting on your lumbar spine

Good luck guys, the chiropractor awaits.

If its heavy enough to hurt your neck just imagine the force its putting on your lumbar spine

Don't know many people who rest the barbell on their neck. Won't disagree squatting can exert force on your lumbar spine, but I would contend many other exercises do too.

Agree with all this

So, you don't think lifting heavy weight builds more muscle, and now we find out you don't squat
Wow , just wow

Back