what do y'all think about this bulk diet??

bentley1

this diet i will be starting on monday is what i will use to hopefully get me from 165-190 by fall. im gonna go ahead and tell you all the macros total for ONE day.
calories-4026
Protein- 330g
carbs- 371g
fats-148g

breakfast- i will have 1 scoop of BPI sports protein with 1 cup of oats mixed with 16oz of almond milk.

late breakfast- 1 red apple, 4 large eggs boiled

lunch- 8oz chicken, 8oz potato, 1 heaping cup broccoli, tbsp of olive oil

late lunch- 2 slices of whole wheat bread, 5 whole ritz crackers, 1 can tuna, tbsp of mayo, dill relish 1tbsp, 26 almonds

pre workout- 2 scoops of protein powder, 2 slices of wheat bread, 2 tbsp of peanut butter, 1tbsp of grape jelly

post workout- 2 scoops of protein powder, mixed with 1/2 cup of oats mixed with milk

dinner- 8oz chicken, 1 cup of white rice, 1 cup broccoli, 16 oz of almond milk

late night snack- greek yogurt

it is a lot but i have a job as a ramp agent in NYC burning calories throughout the day. plus my metabolism is crazy so i am a hardgainer. i have never had a diet like this but i am hoping to see results within a week or 2. i also have a 4 day split workout routine. what do you guys think? any changes i should make?

i am no 100% sure but i would consider myself very active, due to the baggage handling on the ramp flight after flight, it is hard to tell because i drink a red bull everyday also which people tell me it kills calories due to raised heart rate. once i finish my job i head straight to the gym, so i am on my feet working probably 10am-about 9pm. with a hour-2 hour break in between

looks like a good start !

One thing I noticed is that your not getting a whole lot of meat sourced dietary protein through out the day , 16 oz of meat and 1 can of tuna and 4 eggs, and a lot of your protein is coming from the 5 scoops of protein powder rather then 'real food' .

on days that you can I would try and go with a dietary source of protein instead of the protein power,
example: pre workout , you want something quick so protein powder makes sense, but 6 slices of cold cut deli fresh turkey is even quicker then a protein shake, and its real food easily digestible.

note: If you understand the history of protein powders and how they came about you'll understand why real protein based food is always a better choice. Whey was a waste product from the dairy industry (it was just trash) so a guy with a sharp mind decided one day that he maybe could make $ on this trash instead of just throwing it away, so he said "lets see if we can package it up and sell it" , , and thus protein supplements were born.

thank you roush, i didn't think of the deli meat ill have to try that out, and i do not like protein shakes its just my schedule is so tight its hard to pack food, much easier drinking a quick shake. i wish there was protein powder that came out that is like drinking a meal, instead of the fake protein in all these powders.

check your protein powder label before purchase ,, if it is advertised as a whey isolate, but its label lists whey from concentrate as the main ingredient , then you know its a cheap source . if the main ingredient is 'whey isolate' thats the purest form

Can you tell us you height, weight, age, and bodyfat percentage? It would give us a better idea if what you have layed out is going to cut it.

The one thing that does stick out to me, like Roush said, is the amount of protein powder being consumed. It is a MUCH better option to consume protein from whole food sources. Doesnt necessarily have to be meat. It could be cottage cheese or more eggs or whatever. Now, if you are cosuming protein powder due to not being able to sit down and get a whole meal in at work, then so be it. That is much better than not eating at all.

Can you tell us you height, weight, age, and bodyfat percentage? It would give us a better idea if what you have layed out is going to cut it.

The one thing that does stick out to me, like Roush said, is the amount of protein powder being consumed. It is a MUCH better option to consume protein from whole food sources. Doesnt necessarily have to be meat. It could be cottage cheese or more eggs or whatever. Now, if you are cosuming protein powder due to not being able to sit down and get a whole meal in at work, then so be it. That is much better than not eating at all.

thank you roush.

my height is 5'11 my current weight is about 160. my body fat percentage is about 10%. i am very skinny/lean.

You're diet is super clean man. If you're a hard gainer I would suggest some higher fat options like fatty cuts of pork and beef. Chicken thighs with skin on etc.

The amount of food you have listed to eat is a chore- even for me at 6'2 and 230. I'm not sure you need 330 protein either. Maybe try more calorie dense foods like peanut butter with your apple, nuts, oily fish (salmon, mackerel)- tuna out of a can is no good for you without a bunch of mayo or if it's already in oil.

You need a diet you can stick with and eating that amount/volume of food is going to get real old real fast. Incorporate foods you can eat less volume of and get more calories from.

Everybody's already said this, but ditch the protein shakes. They should be post workout only (or before bed, but this is a different type of protein shake made with CASEIN, which digests slowly rather than whey which absorbs rapidly). Buy some casein protein powder and blend it with your Greek yogurt- drink before bed. Yum.

Get your protein from food.

Good luck bro. Sucks being skinny and trying to gain, but at least you aren't fat and trying to cut:)

Nice setup for you. Now how about snacks throughout the day and night? High fiber it all the way.

So, based on what you have told us, as far as Im concerned, your overall calories are most likely in the ballpark of where you want to be. Due you being thin to begin with plus working a physical job AND training I dont see too much of an issue with that. And, of course, if you did start to gain excess fat then you could always back down a bit and adjust them if necessary.

The issue I do see is with the actual break down of those calories. Your protein is too high, your fat is also too high, and your carbs are too low. Contrary to what A LOT of people think you do not need the typical 1.5-2g per pound you hear people saying you need. Thats a waste of protein and money. Keep protein somewhere in the ballpark of 1-1.5g per pound, keep fats around .5g per pound and fill up the rest with carbs. And make sure you are eating the same amounts each day, whether you train or not. Theres no need to raise and lower on a daily basis as I see some people stating they do.

One other sugestion I have is too switch up your food choices. Dont get into the habbit of eating the exact same thing at the exact same time every single day, day in and day out. Eating will become a chore if you do that. Figure out the macros your allowed for each meal. Then, make a list of different protein, carbohydrate, and fat sources and the amounts of each that will fit what you need and mix and match. Keep macros the same but constantly switch your food choices up because take it from me if you dont do this you will end up dreading every single meal and you will be miserable.

And dont ever underestimate the power of a good cheat meal. You want to gain, then you need cheat meals too :)

awesome advice everyone thanks a lot. and i def could see me getting sick of this meal plan. today was my first day and the last meal was brutal. it didn't taste well, it felt like i was going to throw up. i have a very hard time finding diets unlike the one i listed for a hard gainer like me. if any of you know any sites or programs i could follow that is easy to do please post it. i could probably toughen up and get through this meal plan for a couple weeks but after that i think ill be moving onto the next one.

There is no point in toughening up and getting through this meal plan. The macros are all out of whack. Its not set up correctly, as I already stated.

check your protein powder label before purchase ,, if it is advertised as a whey isolate, but its label lists whey from concentrate as the main ingredient , then you know its a cheap source . if the main ingredient is 'whey isolate' thats the purest form

Whether you're powder is an isolate or a concentrate doesn't matter a jot to your average Joe - 30g protein is 30g protein.

It's only the elite who need to worry about small print like that.

You think Arnie ever worried about isolate or concentrate?

I do agree though that you need to aim to get more whole foods and less powders - and try and get a varied amount of fish, chicken, red meat, eggs etc

OP - "I am hoping to see results within a week or 2" - wrong attitude!

This is a lifestyle, not a hobby for a month.

awesome advice everyone thanks a lot. and i def could see me getting sick of this meal plan. today was my first day and the last meal was brutal. it didn't taste well, it felt like i was going to throw up. i have a very hard time finding diets unlike the one i listed for a hard gainer like me. if any of you know any sites or programs i could follow that is easy to do please post it. i could probably toughen up and get through this meal plan for a couple weeks but after that i think ill be moving onto the next one.

there is always the "See Food" diet . It's pretty simple and straight forward and easy to follow . if you 'see' food you simply 'eat it'..

my point is, if your skinny and training to gain weight and your having a hard time with 'diets' , then ditch the diet all together . just eat anything and everything you want . want pizza for breakfast, fine, eat a whole damn pizza. thirsty, fine drink a whole gallon of milk. out running errands and need to eat, get a triple cheeseburger and large fries. just eat eat eat, and don't worry about it, then train hard in the gym.
is this ideal . No, but sometimes you just need to find a way to get the calories in any way you can to grow if your a 'hard gainer'

Whether you're powder is an isolate or a concentrate doesn't matter a jot to your average Joe - 30g protein is 30g protein.

the reason why companies 'cut' their supposed whey isolate with whey concentrate is because whey concentrate is cheap. So why pay for something thinking your getting premium protein and your getting the cheap stuff.

Does it matter (other then financially) to a noob , probably not that much. But does the average guy know what a $400 of 100 year old aged Merlot tastes like , probably not. But does he deserve to get ripped off just cause he can't tell the difference, buy the $400 bottle of wine when it is really a $12 bottle of wine with the $400 packaging on it. thats a scam. something supplement companies are very good at doing.

note: and if I was to bet. I'd bet that a pro bodybuilders digestive system is very similar to a noobs digestive system. The body assimilates protein a certain way and its THIS assimilation and digestion thats the difference between whey isolate and whey concentrate.

your basically saying that a pro bodybuilder should get premium cuts of steak cause he will notice the difference and a noob should just eat cheap ground pork cause he won't notice the difference. No, theres a difference either way (especially in regards to digestion)

your basically saying that a pro bodybuilder should get premium cuts of steak cause he will notice the difference and a noob should just eat cheap ground pork cause he won't notice the difference. No, theres a difference either way (especially in regards to digestion)

Not at all, you misunderstood.

I'm saying that the OP doesn't need to fork out his hard-earned cash on a whey isolate, when a bag of basic whey concentrate will get the job done just fine.

Not at all, you misunderstood.

I'm saying that the OP doesn't need to fork out his hard-earned cash on a whey isolate, when a bag of basic whey concentrate will get the job done just fine.

Gotcha ! yeah I agree . no different then the guy that is not into expensive wines would need to buy that $400 merlot cause he thinks it will somehow taste better

Guys as far as Whey vs Isolate goes. The price difference between a 5lb tug is significant but you have to remember that tub of Isolate has WAY more protein in it, pound for pound and gram for gram Isolate is better. With out doing a complete mathimatical breakdown Id say they arent from off from eachother with Isolate possibly being a better bang for your buck. Add to that that Isolate is a better quality protein and digests beter for most and Isolate is a far superior option.

Back