What works best for YOU for building arms?

What works best for YOU for building arms?

• Heavier weight for lower reps

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Lighter weight for more reps

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Little bit of both

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
I know this may sound absurd but how intense is your squatting routine? Big legs are directly related to big arms, your body seeks equilibrium so developing your legs makes it easier to develop your arms.

Shouldn't this be in the training forum???

Anyway, I agree with husky, big deads and big squats will help like you wouldn't believe.

i think most people do not realize that to get bigger arms the most important part is the tri and the bi is only the peak. so how are you hitting your tris?

Tris make up 2/3 of the arm, and I do no Direct Bi or Tri work all week except 3 sets of tris after chest and 3 sets of bis after back and thats all.

Tri's I do after chest. I'll start off w/ 3 sets of weighted dips, then 3 sets of DB raises (1 db, 2 hands behind head), and 3 sets of a pushdown exercise. Usually about 7-10 reps per set. 9-10 total sets.

For bi's I'll do 3-4 sets of barbell curls (close and wide grip w/ camber bar), then 3-4 sets of a single arm curl, sometimes cables, sometimes db's, usually I'll do some type of hammer grip. Then I do reverse curls for forearms. Usually 8-9 total sets of bi's (excluding reverse curls) 7-10 reps per set.

I've tried lower volume training lots of times before and my body doesn't repspond well to that. I always lose size and strength when doing anything under 9 total sets, especially when lowering sets of compound exercises.

your tris get hit pretty good from chest i would think 10 sets may be too much...if your progressively loading the muscle you shouldnt lose stregnth..

for most arms are the most difficult body part to grow..they wont get to 19 or 20 inches without adding significant weight to your whole frame (unless you were meant to have big arms regardless)..

youve got a good mix of exercises..make sure your eating and your arms are getting stronger..if youve been curling or dipping with the same weight for months youll see no growth the body will adapt..

this has been doing very well for me
tri's
cg bench 5x5
skulls 2x8-10
rope pusdowns 2x8-10

i was doing 5x5 for bis but have felt some tendonitis come back so for now i am really taking it easy and doing light weight
preachers 3x10
cable curl 1 or 2 x20-30

Vennom96 said:
My arms are the last thing on me to grow and its very hard for me to get them to grow.

may i ask how old you are, your height and your weight? how long you been training, how many times per week you train and how many g of protein a day you eat? :D

My arms always grow with the rest of me, so I measure arms to see if I'm growing or not.

I do 4-6 sets of triceps after chest, and I do biceps on a seperate day, currently 4 sets.

Re: Re: What works best for YOU for building arms?

pullinbig said:
may i ask how old you are, your height and your weight? how long you been training, how many times per week you train and how many g of protein a day you eat? :D

24, 6'4" 235 bf about 13-15%, I've been lifting since I was 13 but I guess serious lifting w/ eating enough and high intensity, etc prob about 3 years. I'm training about 4 days per week. Protein I'm getting about 315g/day now. Thats a big jump for me b/c I used to struggle to get 250g/day.

blackbeard said:
your tris get hit pretty good from chest i would think 10 sets may be too much...if your progressively loading the muscle you shouldnt lose stregnth..

for most arms are the most difficult body part to grow..they wont get to 19 or 20 inches without adding significant weight to your whole frame (unless you were meant to have big arms regardless)..

youve got a good mix of exercises..make sure your eating and your arms are getting stronger..if youve been curling or dipping with the same weight for months youll see no growth the body will adapt..

The past 4 weeks (that I've been on) I've been adding weight every week, even if its only 5 lbs. I think I may start adding in CG bench b/c lots of people I talk to that have pretty decent tri's say they have a pretty close grip on bench.

Back