While on cycle , how much protein per sitting ??

I just saw this from Harvard Medical - though they do NOT quote any studies. Note that I do not agree or disagree with them, just posting the info from a reputable source. I wish they would have listed their source studies.

Q. How many grams of protein can the body digest and use at a time?

A.Body builders and people who exercise vigorously rarely need more than 0.75 grams of protein per pound of body weight daily. For a 180-pound man, that would be a total of 135 grams of protein per day.
A person who rarely exercises needs half that amount -- about 0.37 grams per pound of body weight per day.

Regarding how much protein can be digested and absorbed in the intestine at one time, there really is no maximum amount. However, the body will only use what it needs: 0.75 grams per pound of weight for a body builder.
When we eat high amounts of protein, the body (especially the kidneys) needs to work hard to get rid of all the nitrogen in proteins.

Too much dietary protein can have adverse consequences. These include:
dehydration
gout
kidney stones
higher risk of osteoporosis

Also, there is some evidence that ingesting excess amount of protein over many years impairs kidney function later in life. Another question body builders and athletes often ask is whether the type of protein matters. There is no definite proof that one type of protein builds more muscle than any other type. Fish, vegetable, bean and nut proteins are healthier. They don't contain the saturated fats that accompany animal proteins.

If you are looking for a protein supplement, one that contains a mixture of casein and whey is a reasonable choice. Whey protein is broken down into peptides (small pieces of protein) and amino acids. The body absorbs this protein quickly. Casein is broken down even more and absorbed more slowly.

Assuming you are already getting the protein you need from food sources, you don't need a supplement.
Copyright 1/19/2010 Harvard University. All rights reserved. HHP/HMS content licensing handled by Belvoir Media Group.
How many grams of protein can the body digest and use at a time? - WebMD Answers

Last edited:
I just saw this from Harvard Medical - though they do NOT quote any studies. Note that I do not agree or disagree with them, just posting the info from a reputable source. I wish they would have listed their source studies.

A.Body builders and people who exercise vigorously rarely need more than 0.75 grams of protein per pound of body weight daily. For a 180-pound man, that would be a total of 135 grams of protein per day.
A person who rarely exercises needs half that amount -- about 0.37 grams per pound of body weight per day.

Regarding how much protein can be digested and absorbed in the intestine at one time, there really is no maximum

r, the body will only use what it needs: 0.75 grams per pound of weight for a body builder.
When we eat high amounts of protein, the body (especially the kidneys) needs to work hard to get rid of all the nitrogen in proteins.

Too much dietary protein can have adverse consequences. These include:
dehydration
gout
kidney stones
higher risk of osteoporosis

Also, there is some evidence that ingesting excess amount of protein over many years impairs kidney function later in life. Another question body builders and athletes often ask is whether the type of protein matters. There is no definite proof that one type of protein builds more muscle than any other type. Fish, vegetable, bean and nut proteins are healthier. They don't contain the saturated fats that accompany animal proteins.

If you are looking for a protein supplement, one that contains a mixture of casein and whey is a reasonable choice. Whey protein is broken down into peptides (small pieces of protein) and amino acids. The body absorbs this protein quickly. Casein is broken down even more and absorbed more slowly.

Assuming you are already getting the protein you need from food sources, you don't need a supplement.
Copyright 1/19/2010 Harvard University. All rights reserved. HHP/HMS content licensing handled by Belvoir Media Group.
How many grams of protein can the body digest and use at a time? - WebMD Answers

I've experimented from .75-1.5 grams of protien per lb I do the best at 1.5 at .75 I'd start loosing muscle even when I added carbs or fats. There was no way around it for me. That'll be person to person but I need protien high. I've also noticed if I left carbs and fats at the same count while i increased protien from .75 to 1.5 I leaned out better even though it equaled more total calories. Figuring out how much you need is very important. And yes you can consume to much protien and start causing damage but that doesn't usually occur unless the person is consuming a HUGE amount of carbs with the large amounts of protien, that's because if the body doesn't like how much protien it's getting it'll convert the protien in to carbs through a process called gluconeogenesis but if the body recognizes it's blood sugar level is highly elevated it decides to just tough it out and process the protien.

Regarding how much protein can be digested and absorbed in the intestine at one time, there really is no maximum amount. However, the body will only use what it needs: 0.75 grams per pound of weight for a body builder.

The 0.75 figure is correct for natural bodybuilders looking to maintain or bulk but NOT for guys on gear or when dieting.
When cycling protein synthesis is increased significantly meaning the body can handle higher protein consumption.

When dieting your getting less carbs to refill your glycogen stores.
This forces your body to turn to protein to cover the deficit. Now if you haven't increased your protein intake to make up for this then guess where your body is going to turn to?
Your muscles :)
Glycogen replenishment is a higher priority for the body than muscle repair & recovery.
This is why I always recommend at least 1-1.25g/lbm of protein wheb dieting depending on bf% & activity level.

Clearly the article does not take these 2 situations into account.
Also, you cannot claim that all bodybuilders "only need 0.75g" - this is highly dependent on training with higher frequency/intensity/volume needing higher protein intake to recover.

Good article for the average joe or a natural beginner - not so much for everyone else.

Last edited:
Ok lets break this topic down:

Protein intake per meal

There is NO fixed recommendation for protein intake per meal provided your overall protein intake for the day is sufficient - if it isnt then you will need to follow the 20-30g over 5/6 meals protocol.

From a logical perspective, your body has evolved with the main goal of helping you survive - so why the fuck would it just shit out a bunch of protein?
The digestive system is extremely well regulated & will take as long as it wants to digest meals - larger meals requiring more time. It will NOT just waste protein.

I suspect the "20-40g every 3hrs" crap came from a bunch of acute studies that showed that this was the ideal amount of protein to maximise protein synthesis.
Here's the problem:
- those studies used whey protein as the only source, and that just so happens to take 3hrs to digest. A proper meal would take much longer.
- these were ACUTE studies, short term that have never been replicated long term in a scientific setting or in real life.

There is strong evidence that any extra benefit you gain for the 20-30g every 2-3hrs theory for protein synthesis, the body adapts & REDUCES protein synthesis while INCREASING protein oxidation over the long term.
So it all ends up the same.

All of your protein in 1 meal, spread out in 10 meals - it doesnt make any difference in the long term ESPECIALLY on cycle where protein synthesis is increased anyway provided your overall protein intake is good.

Meal frequency

In terms of meal frequency to keep the body in an anabolic state I personally recommend eating every 5-6 hours based on the research.
This differs for shakes since whey is digested in 3hrs while casein takes 8hrs, but for meals with all the macros every 5/6hrs is optimal.

And yes - this means IF, if your following the 1 meal per day version, is NOT optimal. A 16 hr fast with 2 meala spread over the 8hr eating window however would be fine.

Kidney function & protein

First of all lets be clear that the research shows individuals with preexisting kidney problems needed to reduce their protein intake, NOT high protein causes kidney problems - the media twisted this the wrong way round.

Is there a theoretical limit to how high you can take protein before it causes problems?
Yes but it varies from person to person & in the short term, for example contest prep, you can get away with higher intakes.
This problem occurs mostly with guys cycling rather than naturals because they know protein synthesis is elevated & want to see how much protein they can stuff down to make more gains.

Based on the research, I would set an upper limit of 1.5g/lb for protein but you can go past this in certain scenarios such as when dieting, etc.
Alot of guys cycling consume way more than this & need to remember that their could be implications as far as kidney function is concerned.
Its also irrelevant if you have "too much protein" in 1 meal - its your overall intake that will cause the damage, not the frequency.

Fantastic post, really makes me rethink my overall diet, thanks for the informative post.

I am sure you are absolutely correct, they only took into account all natural body builders. Hmmm...I wonder where people on TRT fall? Obviously a body builder on TRT is not all natural, but if they stick to the doctor prescribed amount and are in the normal Test range instead of going high outside it, you could effectively say they are all natural. Just a random thought...

Back