why don't they run the option in NFL?

fog

futile amnesiac
i've been wondering this for some time, watching notre dame right now and gt ran an option, got me thinking. why not in nfl? too much speed in the pro's to pull it off? what do you guys think?

fog said:
too much speed in the pro's to pull it off?

Definitely. The speed of the pursuit defenders is just so much better that I don't think that the option could be run as effectively in the NFL. Plus I don't think coaches would want to put their quaterbacks out there in such a vulnerable position on a frequent basis.

Aboot said:
Definitely. The speed of the pursuit defenders is just so much better that I don't think that the option could be run as effectively in the NFL. Plus I don't think coaches would want to put their quaterbacks out there in such a vulnerable position on a frequent basis.

exactly, linebackers way too fast and smart in the nfl, also you wouldnt want mike vick or daunte culpepper doing a stupid play just to pick up 5 yards when he could be injured seriously

yea, there are a lot of formations and plays not used in FB due to speed and persute compared to college.

whens the last time you seen a mayland I or a true wish bone?

The speed of the linebackers and the safeties would kill an option. North-South running has always been the best path in the pro's, unless your Barry Sanders.

I think your going to see more option in this years NFL. This year Jeff Fisher (Titans Coach) and Jim Mora Jr (Falcons coach) Spent time with Rich Rodriguez (West Virginia head coach) to take a look at the spread option to try and take more advantage of QB speed. So I think it will be interesting to see how it works in the NFL.

Defenders are too fast.... Plus you dont want your franchise QB getting whacked

I think a spread option might have a chance of working. With a spread option there is more north south running. I don't think you can run an entire offense around an option but just to mix it up I think it will work.

Did you all see the spread option that the Falcons were running. They racked up 300+ yards on the ground. They are destroying teams.

my cousin played for Oklahoma State, and was drafted and then cut by Dallas. He said the biggest difference between college and pros is overall speed. Everyone is fast in the NFL. He played offensive line when Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders played at OSU.

Back