Why is my Hemotocrit high?

Hematocrit can rise during TRT, especially if a lot of zinc/iron is included in your diet. At you blood donation facility they will measure your "iron levels" which is your hematocrit. You can times that number by 3 to get a clue of where your Hematocrit is.

Are you suffering from any symptoms associated with polycythemia?

Actually it's hemoglobin that is checked. Multiply the hemoglobin number by 3 to get your approximate hematocrit level.

It shouldn't, but it does. I said the same thing and halfwit pointed me to some great research papers analyzing the hemolytic effects of platelet apheresis. Pumping blood through tubing with those rollers and repeatedly forcing it through a relatively small needle destroys a significant percentage of RBCs.

Here's Halfwit's link recopied:

Pre- and post- donation haematological values in healthy donors undergoing plateletpheresis with five different systems

That is interesting!

It will depend on the facility as well and the machines they use Cobe Spectra. They will draw 28ml whole blood and yes, some of the RBC will pass through. If you take a look at the study and the references it is contradicting as it is citing 3 studies that shows it isn't "statistically significant" funny thing is they use a different p value which will change that. I would say, that it won't drop your HCT much, maybe 1% or lower as the filtration systems are getting better and better.

Worthy of note, if you donate whole blood you may not be able to donate platelets until after 80 days. But you can donate platelets and then donate whole blood.

If you donate double reds it equals to about 480ml whole blood and you will not be able to donate whole blood.

Last edited:
You are right, it will depend on the facility and the machines. After reading this I wanted to verify, so I went in at 53% and gave whole blood. About two weeks later (my facility allows that), I went in to donate double platelets, registering 51% on intake, so whole blood had dropped me 2% (or 3% and I regained 1%).

Went in for double platelets again 10 days later and registered 47% on intake, so paradoxically platelets donation had a significantly GREATER impact on my HCT than whole blood donation.

Wow! That's crazy you could do that!

The double red blood cell platelet donation would have a significant impact on your hematocrit, comparable to donating whole blood.

Keep in mind that the hemoglobin calculation is actually a little less than 3, I think like 2.8 so the % is at a little higher if you are calculating from the hemoglobin value. I can dig it up but it's pretty complex the calculation. I usually go by 2.8, 3 for simplicity but if at the higher range I keep it in mind ;)

Here are the Red Cross donation rules: Eligibility Requirements | American Red Cross

Last edited:
I think there is some miscommunication. My area blood bank does not offer "double red blood cell platelet" donation, and I don't know what that is. I suppose it could be donating platelets and RBCs in the same visit, but as I said that is not an option where I go.

You can donate double or single PLATELETS (via apheresis).
You can donate double RED BLOOD CELLS (via apheresis).

In the latter case the waiting period to donate RBC anything again is doubled (112 days), so there is not much advantage in it.
In the former case, you only have to wait 7 days before donating platelets again.

You seem reluctant to accept that platelet donation can have a greater impact on HCT than donating whole blood. I can understand that because it runs counter to both the theoretical outcome and the donation schedule/rules.

I was skeptical too, but this was Halfwit's experience and it was confirmed by my own.

Last edited:
Apheresis is just a reference to donating or taking away. I have spoken on this topic before with the platelet apheresis lead nurse at the Red Cross and she has confirmed this in the past. If that is your and halfwit's experience it is extraordinary and you should inquire what brand/model machines they use I would be interested to see the difference in clinical and field performance.

It could be that the machines are old and run down, I wager they don't buy new ones every year. I don't doubt your experience, I doubt the machines being used if that is the case! :)

The reason why you have to wait so long to donate again with RBCs is because the average cell life of a RBC is 120 days. You would not be alive very long if you kept losing 3% RBCs every week...well, people on TRT may...haha, but the average public wouldn't. So, I am going with the machines must be old or something...

I researched this topic because I needed to find a good way to manage my hematocrit. I saw several studies showing platelet donation lowering hct and Hb. I think i posted a link on another thread on this topic. Most compared the brands and their effects on lowering the values. My Red Cross uses Gambro hct machine and it lowered my hct 1% on a recent donation. It's a long visit for the return but worth it if needed because you can go again 7 days later. Also, Red Cross allows platelet donation 2 days after whole blood.

Also keep in mind hydration. I went in to give platelets the morning after a hard workout and was turned away because they said my Hb was 18.7. The next day I had another fingerstick after hydrating and it was 17.4!

FWIW... My plan is to donate whole blood every couple months and platelets once or twice in between whole blood donations. Also you can do whole blood and platelets and the same time if you haven't donated whole blood in the last 56 days or platelets in last 7.

Apheresis is just a reference to donating or taking away. I have spoken on this topic before with the platelet apheresis lead nurse at the Red Cross and she has confirmed this in the past. If that is your and halfwit's experience it is extraordinary and you should inquire what brand/model machines they use I would be interested to see the difference in clinical and field performance.

It could be that the machines are old and run down, I wager they don't buy new ones every year. I don't doubt your experience, I doubt the machines being used if that is the case! :)

I know what apheresis is :rolleyes:. What did the nurse confirm, the definition of apheresis?
I go to the largest blood bank in a major metropolitan area. If the machines are old or run down you couldn't tell to look at them.

I thought you read the paper? It shows an average 2.4% drop in HCT, and examines 5 different machines, all of which produce an average drop of somewhere between 2% and 3%. This is totally consistent with Halfwit's and my experience.

You can donate double or single PLATELETS (via apheresis).
You can donate double RED BLOOD CELLS (via apheresis).

I know what apheresis is :rolleyes:. What did the nurse confirm, the definition of apheresis?
I go to the largest blood bank in a major metropolitan area. If the machines are old or run down you couldn't tell to look at them.

I thought you read the paper? It shows an average 2.4% drop in HCT, and examines 5 different machines, all of which produce an average drop of somewhere between 2% and 3%. This is totally consistent with Halfwit's and my experience.

I am sorry but you stated that you donated via apheresis, the verbiage threw me off so you didn't know. Yup that is what that study shows as a collective result with most of the results of the machines within a standard deviation. The nurse confirmed that the drop shouldn't be that large on a donation(this is a double, which is common but a lot of people do single donation which would half the study's results.) Be careful donating too often if it creates a drop like that!

Back