Why use anabolic?

thefantom1 said:
Hmmm.. no one read my post...

I read your post...for one. But I am still thinking about what you wrote. I am not certain if I agree with you.

Can steroids be used in a safe way? Yes they can. Can you live to a ripe old age...you probably can. Do steroids kill directly...well...I haven't heard about it...

But can you be certain that injecting steroids can not cause health problems in the long run and can cause fatalities because of complications that would not have been an issue without steroids? I don't think there is any doubt that it is a very likely possibility that steroids can cause these.

The quesion is....does it really matter....and would the use of steroids causing fatalities or crippling complications be significant compared to driving a car, smoking, eating junkfood or living next to a nuclear power plant for example.

TPH76 said:
The quesion is....does it really matter....and would the use of steroids causing fatalities or crippling complications be significant compared to driving a car, smoking, eating junkfood or living next to a nuclear power plant for example.

Agree somewhat on that one. You can't deny that there is overwhelming evidence that smoking is linked to many diseases. I do hear what you are saying though. I personally believe that alcohol is responsible for a lot society's problems. More so than all illegal drugs combined. I don't have any scientific evidence on that one, just my own theory. By this I mean compare people who use illegal drugs such as weed, extasy etc.. even the juice. How many crimes would you say those people commit compared to alcohol abuse. How many people get drunk and either verbally or physically abuse somebody, drive intoxicated, or commit a crime including everything small from harassment to murder. My guess is that since alcohol is socially acceptable and legal, an increase in use = an increase in problems. Also health problems, probably a hell of a lot more than gear.

Alcohol and narcotics are more destructive and negative than steroids. Crackheads and heroin addicts go out and steal for more crack and heroin. Alcoholics can become very abusive towards their friends and family. How many felonies are associated with AAS? A lot less than alcohol and narcotic related felonies. Also, alcohol and narcotics are known to give the liver a good beating. Steroids on the other hand, if handled properly and not abused are a lot less harmful than the substances stated above.

Write about what thefantom1 said.
And then post all information you gathered, and please, dont write what THEY want to hear.

okay well I think everyone that knows me on this board knows that I am fearful of long term damage. Three people died in a recent study about steroids. This has only recently happened so the news is fairly fresh.

http://heart.healthcentersonline.co...velsharmful.cfm

Anabolic steroids raise levels of harmful protein

Aug 14 (Reuters Health)
- A new study provides more evidence that long-term use of anabolic steroids can cause heart and blood vessel disease, and may even boost the risk of sudden death.
UK researchers found that bodybuilders who used the muscle-building steroids had increased levels of homocysteine, a protein tied to increased mortality, heart disease risk and blood vessel damage, compared with bodybuilders who didn't use the performance-enhancing drugs.

Three steroid users died suddenly during the course of the study, and all had homocysteine levels that were higher than the average for steroid-using study participants.

"The findings of this study suggest that anabolic-androgenic steroids are detrimental to cardiovascular health and appear to be implicated in cardiovascular mortality in long-term anabolic-androgenic steroid abuse," Dr. Michael R. Graham of the University Glamorgan in Pontypridd, Wales and colleagues conclude.

There have been reports suggesting that steroid users face an increased risk of sudden death as well as acute clotting-related health problems such as stroke and heart attack, Graham and his team note.

To determine whether steroid users might have increased homocysteine levels, which could contribute to the risk of heart and blood vessel problems, the researchers measured levels of homocysteine and several other substances in the blood in bodybuilders who had been using steroids for more than 20 years.

They were compared to steroid-using bodybuilders who had abstained from the drugs for three months, bodybuilders who had never used steroids, and sedentary, non-steroid-using men.

Current and past steroid users had higher homocysteine levels than other study participants, as well as "dramatically elevated" levels of hematocrit.

As mentioned, three of the steroid-using bodybuilders died during the study period and all of them had significantly higher levels of homocysteine than the average for the steroid-using group.

Sudden death and acute clotting events "may represent under-appreciated risks" of anabolic steroid use, the team warns.

SOURCE: British Journal of Sports Medicine, July 2006.
Publish Date: August 14, 2006

Jimmykick said:
okay well I think everyone that knows me on this board knows that I am fearful of long term damage. Three people died in a recent study about steroids. This has only recently happened so the news is fairly fresh.

http://heart.healthcentersonline.co...velsharmful.cfm

Anabolic steroids raise levels of harmful protein

Aug 14 (Reuters Health)
- A new study provides more evidence that long-term use of anabolic steroids can cause heart and blood vessel disease, and may even boost the risk of sudden death.
UK researchers found that bodybuilders who used the muscle-building steroids had increased levels of homocysteine, a protein tied to increased mortality, heart disease risk and blood vessel damage, compared with bodybuilders who didn't use the performance-enhancing drugs.

Three steroid users died suddenly during the course of the study, and all had homocysteine levels that were higher than the average for steroid-using study participants.

"The findings of this study suggest that anabolic-androgenic steroids are detrimental to cardiovascular health and appear to be implicated in cardiovascular mortality in long-term anabolic-androgenic steroid abuse," Dr. Michael R. Graham of the University Glamorgan in Pontypridd, Wales and colleagues conclude.

There have been reports suggesting that steroid users face an increased risk of sudden death as well as acute clotting-related health problems such as stroke and heart attack, Graham and his team note.

To determine whether steroid users might have increased homocysteine levels, which could contribute to the risk of heart and blood vessel problems, the researchers measured levels of homocysteine and several other substances in the blood in bodybuilders who had been using steroids for more than 20 years.

They were compared to steroid-using bodybuilders who had abstained from the drugs for three months, bodybuilders who had never used steroids, and sedentary, non-steroid-using men.

Current and past steroid users had higher homocysteine levels than other study participants, as well as "dramatically elevated" levels of hematocrit.

As mentioned, three of the steroid-using bodybuilders died during the study period and all of them had significantly higher levels of homocysteine than the average for the steroid-using group.

Sudden death and acute clotting events "may represent under-appreciated risks" of anabolic steroid use, the team warns.

SOURCE: British Journal of Sports Medicine, July 2006.
Publish Date: August 14, 2006

That may just be a coincidence. I forgot the tech. name for it, but one of the most common fallacies among people is that since one thing came before another, the 1st causeed the 2nd.

Also, it doesn't state the total # of people in the study. That seems more like a news report than anything.

Back