Women late 30's+ using HGH and its relationship to other hormones

ShineAllTheTime

Hi Ladies. I just want to post this in the event it is helpful to others...

I came across these boards as I was looking to hear from others about their experiences with HGH. I am 39 years old, 5 feet 7 inches and in the past two years I have gone from 135lbs to 148lbs. No amount of proper diet, exercise, weight training, custom vitamins, pro-biotics, stress reduction techniques, liposuction (twice in the ab area now) has helped... weight stays exactly the same. (Please note, I am not a body builder. My workouts consist of 45 mins of jogging each day in my target heart rate zone with a heart rate monitor, some light strength training and yoga 4-5 days a week.) I finally totally stumped the dietician that was working with me and went and starting working with someone who specialized in hormones.

I had already optimized my adrenal glands and thyroid with a compounded T3/T4 that is made just for me based on blood testing.

Both blood and saliva tests came back low in Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone. So clearly early signs of menopause, called perimenopause; with Estrogen Dominance (due to low progesterone) being suspect of why my body was holding onto weight.

When your natural hormone levels begin to decline the body tends to hold onto fat in cells so that it can make hormones from the fat cells. So if you are over the age of 40 and proper diet and exercise are not working for you, you might want to get your hormones looked at.

Anyway, I was prescribed a compounded bio-identical progesterone cream to offset the symptoms of estrogen dominance I was having (not over the counter, that stuff did not work, it did not raise my levels high enough, you need the prescription stuff). I had been having hair shedding and it stopped right away, so the progesterone was doing its job to help offset the estrogen. Yay! And I was sleeping and feeling fantastic.

But still no weight loss. So I tested my hormones (using an online ZRT saliva test) again and now my progesterone was perfect, but my estrogen and testosterone remained low.

In the meantime, I had begun testing with an online clinic to see if I might qualify for Human Growth Hormone. I had to go to my local doctor and have a full physical, I had to fill out online forms, and then I had to have a full blood profile done, including IGF-1. My test results qualified me for Human Growth Hormone as I am in the low range for my age and considered sub-optimal.

When I told my local Bio-Identical Hormone advisor about this she was not 100% on board with HGH. She admitted she had no experience with it, but that a couple of her clients with Estrogen Dominance had tried it and she said it made their symptoms and condition worse.

THAT FREAKED ME OUT!

I had not read anything but good things about HGH. So I went to the internet and started searching my heart out when I realized all the good things I read were from men. When I found this forum I started to read how some women had some negative experiences with HGH such as water retention and stubborn weight gain, that did not resolve with lower doses or time, periods starting back up after already being in menopause, heavier/cramping periods, etc.

So I kept researching online wanting to know what connection HGH has with the other hormones in the female hormone system.

This book finally answered it: Secrets about Bioidentical Hormones to Lose Fat and Prevent Cancer, Heart Disease, Menopause, and Andropause, by Optimizing Adrenals, Thyroid, Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone, and Growth Hormone. Author: Y.L. Wright, J.M Schwartz, M.D.

You do not need to get the book, you just need to know that one of the mechanisms of HGH is that is up-regulates receptor sites for Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone. So whatever you normally experience with those hormones, you will experience MORE of. So if you happen to have a hormone imbalance, it will be exasperated with the use of HGH.

If you are already on bio-identical hormones, you might need to adjust them and use less.

The book also points out the raising your levels of estrogen and testosterone (if low) raises natural HGH levels, and using injectable HGH raises levels of estrogen and testosterone. So you better make sure your progesterone is in check to keep it all balanced.

HGH is also used in infertility treatments as it stimulates the ovaries, which we know also produce Estrogen and Progesterone, and small amounts of testosterone.

HGH can also reduce the effectiveness of thyroid hormones, T4/T3. So if you have a thyroid imbalance, you might need to either treat it or if you already take thyroid meds (or supplements) you might need to adjust them.

Then of course you have to watch your fasting blood glucose level to make sure you do not have or are not developing insulin resistance. So watch your sugar intake (hopefully you don***8217;t consume any anyway) and keep the carbs healthy and low.

SO THE BIG POINT IS, if you are over the age of 40 (or close to), you might want to do a saliva test of your hormone levels (Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone, DHEA) and make sure they are all in appropriate levels and balance before investing in and taking HGH.

In my case, my Bio-Identical Hormone advisor added a small amount of estrogen and testosterone to my program, so that they can come up from the low zone and meet my new awesome progesterone levels and with that, my body should be balance and finally let go of these fifteen extra pounds it has been holding onto. I am also two weeks into taking my HGH at 1.5IU 5/2 schedule, which should only help things.

Anyway, if HGH is not working for you, or you are having negative side effects, it might be wise to look at all your hormone levels.

Again, hope this is helpful to other women.

BE WELL!

Last edited:
Back