WU question

Lethalius

I may have to use western union to make a transaction. Anyways, for anyone that's used them recently, do they ever ask you why you are sending money or whom you are sending it to? I mean it should be none of their damn business imo.

they never ask, you just fill out the address your sending to, give them your money and they wire it, and whoever u wire it to gets it in like 10 minutes, no matter what country they are in

I never got asked, but a friend of mine always gets asked, and needs to show ID. Perhaps it depends on the office you use. Normally they should never ask, unless it's a big amount you're sending. The usual reply is money for a friend in need, or family.

deadbeatrec said:
no they dont ask unless u are sending more than like $1000 a month i think.

I don't think it's a monthly amount. If you send over 1K at a time they're supposed to require ID.

HeHateMe said:
I don't think it's a monthly amount. If you send over 1K at a time they're supposed to require ID.

I think this is right. I'll be payingWU a visit today in fact. :)

Skinny...In a Big Way said:
they always ask for id
It says on the form that ID is only required for transactions which exceed $1000. One time the guy said, "What are you buying?", I said "Actually, I'm sending my sister and her husband some money" He knew I was lying but its not like he cares or has the authority to demand the truth.

They only take cash as far as I'm aware. I never tried it any other way.

They have no business for asking what your sending money for. It's not as conspicuous when the transaction is within your own country - but when you send 800 bucks to china, well its just obvious.

Yeah I believe it's cashola only at WU.

Since it's an instantaneous transfer, I doubt they take any other form of payment.

I wouldn't worry in the least. We use WU for our business on a weekly basis and 99% of the transactions going through WU are legitimate so they are very unlikely to answer questions. It is often much cheaper to send money to countries such as China via WU then through the banking system, and often easier for the recipient to receive the money due to archaic banking systems in China. In India for instance, for a bank account to receive money from an international source, they have to be registered with some sort of accountancy association.
Whoever made the statement about it being a public service to send money for illegal purposes is true but only to the extent that the internet facilitates illegal activity. Its a very small part of it. WU is used more by business than anything else. It is easy on forums like this to think that WU is only used by people buying gear but its far from it.

Just used WU the other day (again) at the local grocery store. No questions, no ID, but I always send <$1000.

They should care less why you're sending money. I used to think they were suspicious. I used to think the same thing when going to the the post office for money orders. LOL Those people don't care. Would you? It's just their job and they aren't trying to bust you.

I just go to different places to spread it around. WU is all over the place around here. My favorites are in the grocery stores because it's usually some stoner doing the transaction. :)

I live in florida were we have thousands of immigrants sending money back home to there families and believe me they are all illegal and could’ent provide an ID if they were asked. And also remember the wu store owner makes money every time we send money. So see no evil here no evil no know evil . They don’t give a Flying fuck who your sending money to and for what reason your sending it. And you can take that to the bank... Mike

Back