28. 3 weeks on TRT. Initial labs.

Bluffcityrat

Height: 5 11
Weight: 245

Brief history: Former D1 athlete. Even as I lifted 5 days a week and was trained by some of the best trainers and nutritionists in the country I never really was able to achieve results like my teammates. I was in good shape, but looking back my body composition should have been much better. Anyway.

After college I gained 60 pounds due to lifestyle and sitting in front of a computer at work. Diet sucked. Rarely worked out. Even developed some depression and anxiety (both are in check now thankfully). A couple years ago I was able to drop 20 of those pounds and get down to where I am now 245. I have a decent workout regimen and my diet is much improved buy my overall health and weight won't budge. I had zero energy and just felt crappy. I decided to get blood levels check. Here were the results:

Glucose: 86 (65-99)
BUN: 13 (16-20)
AST: 32 (0-40)
ALT: 52 high (0-44)
TSH: 4.250 low (0.450-.0450)
LH: 8.5 (1.7-8.6)
FSH: 1.9 (1.5-12.4)
Prolactin: 14.3 (4-15.2)
WBC: 7.1 (3.4-10.8)
RBC: 5.35 (4.14-5.80)

Hemoglobin: 16.10 (12.6-17.7)
Hematocrit: 46.3 (37.5-51.0)
MCV: 87 (79-97)
MCH: 30.1 (26.6-33.0)
MCHC: 34.8 (31.5-35.7)
RDW: 13.1 (12.3-15.4)
Platelets: 278 (150-379)

Sexd Horm Binding Glob, Serum: 13.0 low (16.5-55.9)
Estradiol: 23.9 (7.6-42.6)

TT: 222 low (600-800)
CFT: 6.54

Have been getting 120mg injections for past 3 weeks from doctor. After week 5 we are running another blood test. If everything looks normal doc says we will start doing 200mg/week and keep it there. Blood tests every few months or so. So far I would so I can feel immediate increase in libido. Erections are constant and recently had a date and we went 3 rounds in bed afterwards. Don't think that's ever been possible in the past.

Main purpose of starting TRT is general overall sense of well being. Also I have had so much trouble losing weight/changing my body. Energy is non existent. And as I mentioned before this has always been an issue. Even when I was being trained by some of the best people in the business. My endurance in my bootcamp workouts has improved slightly since starting TRT as well.

One thing I will also mention is my thyroid. In college I took supplements that were supposed to help my thyroid. I think that had a lot to do with me being so healthy during school. I think my thyroid might be underperforming a little bit so I will look in to the iodine as mentioned in stickies as well as Selenium (doctor mentioned that). Also my body temp has been around 96 for past year or so. Low.

Doctor was fine with adding HCG if I requested it so I will probably add that to the mix next week to keep my nuts from completely shutting down. All if this is covered by my health insurance through work which is great. $30 a week out of my pocket. I am glad to be here and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on my initial bloodwork and treatment. Have a great day!

Edit: Also I was two months premature and my nuts have always been small and contract a lot. So I will be watching the marbles closely.

Glad to see you at getting help and feeling better. Did your diagnose you with Primary Hypogonadism? If so, hCG probably won't do anything for you.

Make sure yuoiu monitor your estradiol and hematocrit on TRT. We all have to donate blood regularly to keep hematocrit in range.

Definitely follow up on your Hypothyroidism.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will post my labs in two weeks at my 6 week checkup. Mega not sure if it was primary or secondary. Really my only concern at all with TRT is having kids 5 or 6 years from now. As shitty as it would be, could I come off TRT for a significant time frame, let my balls work again, plant a seed, then get back on TRT? How do younger guys deal with this? Also what are your thoughts on adding a little iodine to help my thyroid and low body temp (normally between 96-97.5 throughout the day). Glad to be here. Looking forward to the journey.

I've looked in to this but didn't know if I would still have swimmers 3 weeks in to TRT. Curious about options other than banking. Thank you for the reply man!

Thanks for the replies guys. I will post my labs in two weeks at my 6 week checkup. Mega not sure if it was primary or secondary. Really my only concern at all with TRT is having kids 5 or 6 years from now. As shitty as it would be, could I come off TRT for a significant time frame, let my balls work again, plant a seed, then get back on TRT? How do younger guys deal with this? Also what are your thoughts on adding a little iodine to help my thyroid and low body temp (normally between 96-97.5 throughout the day). Glad to be here. Looking forward to the journey.

We need to know if your are Primary or Secondary. Looking at your pre-TRT labs, the LH is pointing towards Primary.

Many guys manage to have kids while on TRT or make modifications nto their protocols/take breaks from TRT and have kids if the former doesn't work. But they were all fertile pre-TRT.

Understood. Is that scenario you described only possible if I also take HCG, or can I run TRT alone? Ideally I would like to keep what I take to a minimum, but if HCG is necessary I can add that to the mix. Thinking I run TRT alone for a few months and monitor my results. Thoughts? Thanks again for the feedback.

Also as far as primary or secondary I lean towards primary for a few reasons. I was 2 months premature and my balls never fully developed. They barely ever dropped and they have always been very small. To this day they pretty much remain contracted most times and do not really hang. My Johnson works fine but I have always had the "why in the world are my balls like this" thought in my head. Learning a lot here guys. Like I said I kind of want to run TRT alone at the beginning but maybe HCG can help the rocks?

Sorry for the triple post but this is a great read on primary vs secondary:

https://merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary-disorders/male-reproductive-endocrinology-and-related-disorders/male-hypogonadism

Headed to golf course but I will leave with this thought, and look forward to your responses: the fact that I have discovered I have low T, primary hypogonadism, and an underperforming thyroid pretty much explains everything I have been feeling for the past 10 yrs. Thank god for forums like this to open my eyes and a big F U to all the doctors who should have had me tested for this stuff years ago after seeing my balls and late development. Instead they gave me antidepressants (which I no longer take). Talk to y'all later.

hCG will unfortunately not help someone with Primary Hypogonadism. There would be no point in taking it. But the fact your doctor was willing to prescribe it for you is confusing. You need to speak with him/her about this.

Do you know if you have ever been fertile in your life?

I do not know if I have ever been fertile. There were some times I probably should have gotten someone pregnant and didn't. And my nuts being underdeveloped and never really dropping makes me think I might not have ever been fertile. Guess there is really no way to know?

Last edited:
I do not know if I have ever been fertile. There were some times I probably should have gotten someone pregnant and didn't. And my nuts being underdeveloped and never really dropping makes me think I might not have ever been fertile. Guess there is really no way to know?

Take a fertility test. Ideally you would have done this before starting TRT. You are working with a doctor, right?

Thought I would already be shut down if I was on TRT for 3 weeks? I will go take fertility test if that's not the case though. I'm working with a nurse practitioner not my GP.

For this entire process or the fertility part? My GP would not go for this. He is kind of a huge prick and I would imagine knows nothing about TRT. I appreciate the feedback.

For this entire process or the fertility part? My GP would not go for this. He is kind of a huge prick and I would imagine knows nothing about TRT. I appreciate the feedback.

The whole thing. Find a new doc if you need to. It seems like your nurse is giving you pretty bad care

I'm not disagreeing with you. It's just that it's very conveniently located. And it's pretty much covered by my insurance. And she is willing to listen to me as far as what I want to do. So if I can get some guidance from yourself and the rest of the community it seems like a good situation, rather than doctor shopping around trying to find a doctor well versed in TRT. Maybe I'm not making any sense. -___-

I'm not disagreeing with you. It's just that it's very conveniently located. And it's pretty much covered by my insurance. And she is willing to listen to me as far as what I want to do. So if I can get some guidance from yourself and the rest of the community it seems like a good situation, rather than doctor shopping around trying to find a doctor well versed in TRT. Maybe I'm not making any sense. -___-

I get it. But you need to do a lot of homework then so you can advocate for your health. And unfortunately, you can't really go back in time and undo things that should have been done differently. For example it is obvious that fertility is important to you. This should have been checked prior to starting TRT in my opinion.

Back