32 years old low T, hoping for clarification

Gfk

Hi, thank you for the great overview post stickied, it helped answer some questions and I have some questions before I visit with my endo dr again.

I'm 32 and I exercise 3 days a week (barbell training, cardio, etc), I eat healthy 90% of the time, and I play sports 3 times a week... I'm active, I'm 5'10 and 152lb pretty lean but I have a small amount of belly fat and pectoral fat that just doesn't want to go away. I've always had trouble gaining weight, no matter how much I lift, eat and stuff myself with Whey protein. I'm not trying to become a body builder but for how often I workout I should be seeing more gains. This is secondary to me to all the health stuff, I just want to feel normal again.

I went to the doctor about 3 years ago because I was having trouble sexually and I was looking for answers. I wasn't having a ton of obvious symptoms that I can recall. I got an MRI, blood test etc, and the doctor told me I was low enough to go on TRT but being 29 years old it seemed like a HUGE commitment and no turning back move. My test results are below but I'd like to update with a more recent status before I get to that. I told him I'd try and go to bed earlier and hoped the issue would go away. Laziness got the best of me and I just ignored the problem, how ironic now that I've looked into low T symptoms.

I've been with the same woman for 5 years, we were recently married. I am extremely attracted to her but in the past year my sex drive has gone from I'm too tired to have sex, to I can't get an erection to save my life. After she cried a few times thinking it was her I started to really do some research online, and now I find myself here. I have a lot of symptoms that I didn't think were symptoms until I started doing more research. I'm fatigued, always yawning, I have slight anxiety and depression but nothing too crazy, it seems like I can never get a healthy night's sleep. Sexually I can't hold an erection, and lately I don't even get them. When I ejaculate it is weak and doesn't even feel that good anymore. Anyhow, that's a short list of things I've started to realize recently.

I went to the doctor today so I could get a recommendation to go back to my endo, so I should be seeing him again soon. I want to make sure I go in armed with the correct questions and information so he doesn't try to just put me on TRT and call it a day. Given my age I am really hoping that Clomiphene Citrate will be a solution and I can get things going somewhat naturally. Sorry for the long winded post, thank you for bearing with me.

The test results are below and the results of my MRI are below that. If I need to know any other levels please let me know so i can make sure to ask when I go back.

Total T 230.8 ng/DL told this was low but in range 2/6
Total T 245.2 ng/DL told this was normal 2/13
LH 3.5
Prolactin 19ng/ML
TSH 2.99
Free T4 1.3ng/DL
HGB 14g/DL
HCT 40.8%
ALT 34 intl_unit

Urine analysis everything says negative and normal. MRI results are below, and a testicle ultrasound came back normal

PITUITARY (SELLAR) MRI WITH GADOLINIUM ENHANCEMENT

COMPARISON: None.

TECHNIQUE:
Whole brain axial FLAIR. Smaller FOV coronal FSE T2 centered over the
sella turcica. Smaller FOV pre- and postcontrast spin-echo T1
centered over the sella turcica. 10 cc Optimark intravenously.

FINDINGS:
The sella turcica is moderately fluid filled. The pituitary gland
appears slightly flattened within the inferior aspect of the sella
turcica.

No MR evidence of a focal hypointense pituitary gland lesion is
identified.

The pituitary gland measures approximately 16 mm in width, 4 mm
superior inferior dimension and 11 mm in AP dimension.

No abnormal mass effect upon the optic chiasm is identified. The
infundibulum is midline. The bilateral cavernous ICA flow voids
appear grossly unremarkable.

On the FLAIR whole brain sequence, no evidence of intracranial mass
effect, acute hemorrhage or acute infarct is identified. No
extra-axial fluid collection is seen. There is no hydrocephalus.

IMPRESSION:
No MR evidence of a focal pituitary gland lesion identified. MR
appearance of mild empty sella.

Last edited:
Your labs point toward Secondary Hypogonadism. You could try an HPTA Restart with Clomid. It is absolutely worth a try, but it often doesn't work. Should it not work, Testosterone Injections would probably be the recommended treatment.

Make sure to check FSH as well in the future. And have you checked your vitamin D?

Ever done a sleep study? If not I would recommend it - especially if you snore or are overweight.

Your labs point toward Secondary Hypogonadism. You could try an HPTA Restart with Clomid. It is absolutely worth a try, but it often doesn't work. Should it not work, Testosterone Injections would probably be the recommended treatment.

Make sure to check FSH as well in the future. And have you checked your vitamin D?

Ever done a sleep study? If not I would recommend it - especially if you snore or are overweight.

How much does sleep affect t? I was very over weight personally and i know I had really bad sleep apnea from sleep study and of course the fact that i never dreamed for lets say 4 + years. However me sleep has gotten a lot better with weight loss. I now dream just about every night or every other night. in the last year i lost about 91 pounds from 301 to 210 to 215 ish bounces around a bit. How ever once i stopped the injects feel tired all time again. Any ways my question is how much does Sleep affect t and how does it affect it?

I don't believe I snore, and I am skinny (5'10 152 lb). I have had night sweats the past year or so and that is something new. I do wake up and have become a very light sleeper.

I will ask about Vitamin D and sleep study. Before today I had a really positive outlook on clomid working, now after reading some more I'm less enthused about it and restarts in general. Real gut punch :(

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22044663 I found this study and it gave me hope.

Even though you do not snore do you dream? By the way im far from a professional at HRT but just comparing others situations to mine and trying to learn and be involved in discussions. I am also curious how vitamin D effects Test or if it does. I was very low on Vitamin D prob greatly from lack of sun but any ways my doctor did put me personaly on Vit D Supplement.

I live in San Diego, CA... so I really doubt its Vitamin D but I'm going to request it anyways. I do dream, I guess, I don't know, i need a sleep study done.

Sleep and lack thereof could potentially be an issue. I get anywhere from 6-6.5 hours of sleep and sometimes less, and probably not the greatest quality as I wake up at least 1 time a night.

How much does sleep affect t? I was very over weight personally and i know I had really bad sleep apnea from sleep study and of course the fact that i never dreamed for lets say 4 + years. However me sleep has gotten a lot better with weight loss. I now dream just about every night or every other night. in the last year i lost about 91 pounds from 301 to 210 to 215 ish bounces around a bit. How ever once i stopped the injects feel tired all time again. Any ways my question is how much does Sleep affect t and how does it affect it?

Everyone dreams when they sleep it's whether or not you remember the dream when you wake up.

That's not true with severe sleep apnea as I had I never went into stage 4 rem sleep. 3 separate studies and never would because I had so many what they call episodes. Don't get me wrong I do agree some people so don't remember but too have zero zip none no dreams every and 3 studies show you never go into rem? Kind of speaks for it self. As you may know a lot of times sleep apnea can be cause by obesity or at least made worse by obesity. The only explanation for me to dream now is the ammount of weight I lost and that will have made my sleep apnea better then it was by reducing the fat / tissue in my throat of course the type of apnea also matters to but when talking about snoring it is usually obstructive.

Whoknew2015: not to be a jerk but can you please not hijack this thread with your sleep issues. Thank you

When i had low T i almost never dreamt. But the dreams I had were connected to my low T.
I dreamt about failure
getting beat
losing girls ect.

Now on high t. Im rockin my dreams! Headbustar, lovemaker and king emperoer of the imagineary world

Probably the same as me. When i was a kid i dreamt a lot and when i was 11 i had a dream i even remember today. Wild banging a classmate chick that wasn't even hot. I oftenly spoke out loud while sleeping and my mother would always ask me what i dreamt. So i wished i wouldnt dream, and it somehow stopped. I would kill for those dreams today:)
And two years later i started to really hate this chick and i still do today. maybe that had to do with my psychology and testosterone:(

sorry for off

Whoknew2015: not to be a jerk but can you please not hijack this thread with your sleep issues. Thank you

Not trying to hijack your thread sorry, was just pointing out a point in regards to the sleep questions that were asked of you. No harm intended.

You make a lot of your testosterone when you are sleeping. No sleep = low testosterone. Sleep is one of the most important things in our lives.

I don't believe I snore, and I am skinny (5'10 152 lb). I have had night sweats the past year or so and that is something new. I do wake up and have become a very light sleeper.

I will ask about Vitamin D and sleep study. Before today I had a really positive outlook on clomid working, now after reading some more I'm less enthused about it and restarts in general. Real gut punch :(

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22044663 I found this study and it gave me hope.

Clomid is worth trying. If it doesn't work then you can go on Test Ibjections.

By the way, it isn't just about Apnea. Things like restless leg syndrome can keep you from getting a good nights sleep.

Even though you do not snore do you dream? By the way im far from a professional at HRT but just comparing others situations to mine and trying to learn and be involved in discussions. I am also curious how vitamin D effects Test or if it does. I was very low on Vitamin D prob greatly from lack of sun but any ways my doctor did put me personaly on Vit D Supplement.

Vitamin D is a precursor for testosterone in the body. Just like cholesterol.

Not trying to hijack your thread sorry, was just pointing out a point in regards to the sleep questions that were asked of you. No harm intended.

I know you weren't meaning to. Just been on enough forums to know where this was gonna go haha

I'm seeing my endo tomorrow morning so I will see if we can touch on sleep or possibly clomid or something similar before TRT. When I met with him three years ago I was clueless and scared. Now I'm just annoyed and a little more comfortable talking about it.

I definitely do not sleep well. Last night I slept from about 11:30-4am. and I tossed and turned. I'll update tomorrow thanks megaton

I'm seeing my endo tomorrow morning so I will see if we can touch on sleep or possibly clomid or something similar before TRT. When I met with him three years ago I was clueless and scared. Now I'm just annoyed and a little more comfortable talking about it.

I definitely do not sleep well. Last night I slept from about 11:30-4am. and I tossed and turned. I'll update tomorrow thanks megaton

It is hard to diagnose. Low Testosterone seems to disrupt guys sleep. I used to wake up several times a night before I got on TRT. Once I got on TRT In started sleeping like a baby. But at the same time sleep issues can lower testosterone levels. It is sometimes hard to determine which is the cause and which is the effect. A sleep study can help determine this.

I know you weren't meaning to. Just been on enough forums to know where this was gonna go haha

In the end we got some good answers for both of us on how sleep is and can effect our levels. Thanks Mega for the clarification.

Sex before bed time disrupts my sleep. I feel tired right after I cum. Then about 5 to 10 minutes later I'm wide awake twiddling my thumbs going this sucks.

Back