528 bench @ 148

DirkMoneyshot said:
I'm kind of torn on my thoughts with these kinds of lifts-----One side of me knows that its damn impressive no matter what-----the other side of me just hates seeing the extreme arch, bench shirt and not going all the way down.

Agree on all counts except the arch. What's wrong with that?

im not insulting just curious. Whats the point of the shirt, i know its to lift more weight but what if the rule was every one had to bench raw. wouldnt that mean more? i understand the rest use shirts so its fair, i just dont get why they started allowing it. I dont know anyhting about power lifting so fill me in.

simpllyhuge said:
im not insulting just curious. Whats the point of the shirt, i know its to lift more weight but what if the rule was every one had to bench raw. wouldnt that mean more? i understand the rest use shirts so its fair, i just dont get why they started allowing it. I dont know anyhting about power lifting so fill me in.
i dont think the human shoulder could stand the incredible weight being lifted without the support of a shirt . the abuse of heavy lifting creates havoc with the shoulders and its just not possible for most powerlifter to continue lifting huge numbers raw after years of training .

there are raw powerlifting contest for those who want that so dont hate on those who use shirts and suits .
lets be honest 99% of the people who are on this thread couldnt have even held that much weight at arms length after it was unracked when they weighed under 150 pounds , and the shirt isnt doing crap for you once the bar gets that high in the lift .

He does 315x3 and then his best double was 335 or 345 and i've never seen him do a raw single.

He used to use an inzer radical black denim and now he is using an inzer Phenom.

He is fully sponsered by John Inzer.

roccodart440 said:
He does 315x3 and then his best double was 335 or 345 and i've never seen him do a raw single.

He used to use an inzer radical black denim and now he is using an inzer Phenom.

He is fully sponsered by John Inzer.

he would struggle with 4 plates pretty bad raw impressive again b/c of his weight but nothing extraordinary IMO. hard to say as i weigh 100 more than him and bench right at 400 raw never used a shirt.

BTW for the guys askinga bout shirts it really is to prevent injury. some guys are rediculous with it though and the shirt adds anywhere from 100-300 pounds depending on material and style of shirt. mendleson and all those guys like rlychek bench 1000+. raw they MIGHT get 600 but doubtful. Kazmyer has the record I believe even still of a raw bench of around 625 if i am not mistaken. anything like 700 without a shirt is just about impossible without suffering and injury of significance. i'm sure a lot wil dispute this fact but that mean thy don't know too much about powerlifting.

dg1483 said:
he would struggle with 4 plates pretty bad raw impressive again b/c of his weight but nothing extraordinary IMO. hard to say as i weigh 100 more than him and bench right at 400 raw never used a shirt.

BTW for the guys askinga bout shirts it really is to prevent injury. some guys are rediculous with it though and the shirt adds anywhere from 100-300 pounds depending on material and style of shirt. mendleson and all those guys like rlychek bench 1000+. raw they MIGHT get 600 but doubtful. Kazmyer has the record I believe even still of a raw bench of around 625 if i am not mistaken. anything like 700 without a shirt is just about impossible without suffering and injury of significance. i'm sure a lot wil dispute this fact but that mean thy don't know too much about powerlifting.

400 bench at 248 is good. His 350ish raw is far more impressive due to his body weight ratio, not to mention he doesn't train for a raw bench.

Getting more out of a shirt isn't just getting the right fit and material. I've gotten 215 out of my shirt. Belive me much straining and strength training had to be done to make that possible. SCott Rowe, whom i've trained with on occasion can bench 525 raw but can't do 655 in a shirt. Think about that.

Kazmeyer hasn't had the raw record for a while. Medelson has the raw record at 715, almost a hundred pounds more than Kaz. Kaz was impressive in his day and is still impressive by todays standards. There are quite a few guys around that can do around 600 raw these days.

I just disputed the alleged facts and I may know alittle about powerlifting. I wish assylum was around.

I see a guy like that who is fighting to PULL the bar toward his chest and still can't touch. I can't help but think the shirt is moving a lot of that weight.

LiftTillIDie said:
I see a guy like that who is fighting to PULL the bar toward his chest and still can't touch. I can't help but think the shirt is moving a lot of that weight.
it does but non powerlifters dont always realize that the shirt only helps at the bottom/chest and the amount of help from a shirt drops off FAST as the bar goes up .
it doesnt matter how much the shirt helps at the bottom you still have to be able to handle the weight AND LOCK IT OUT .

DADAWG said:
it does but non powerlifters dont always realize that the shirt only helps at the bottom/chest and the amount of help from a shirt drops off FAST as the bar goes up .
it doesnt matter how much the shirt helps at the bottom you still have to be able to handle the weight AND LOCK IT OUT .

THat being said i've sen him rep 550 pound RLO's

DADAWG said:

In other words you only have to lock it out.

DADAWG said:
its probablly not as impressive BUT its because he trains to maxx in a shirt and when the vast majority of your training is centered on mid range and lock out your obviouslly not going to be as strong off the chest . he could probablly train consistently raw for a while and put up staggering numbers for a 150 pound man .

ditto....i have trained in a shirt and raw.....and there is a big difference as far as i trined for max with both...i would love to see someone like this train for about a ear raw..that would be most impressive...

E

It's impressive shirted or not. Even though, Im a PLer myself and have lifted in a shirt before I can see people arguements shirt vs raw. However, the fact is a lot of people could throw on a shirt and still wouldnt hit 5+ (Myself included). an impresive bencher imo is my training partner who at 181 could hit 450 raw and 535 i a sngl ply inzer blast shirt. It's a shame he compltely tore his rotator cuff. the bastard is so messed up in the head though hes goign to try and bench 405 raw with only 1 functional rotator cuff :D

dg1483 said:
raw they MIGHT get 600 but doubtful. Kazmyer has the record I believe even still of a raw bench of around 625 if i am not mistaken. anything like 700 without a shirt is just about impossible without suffering and injury of significance. i'm sure a lot wil dispute this fact but that mean thy don't know too much about powerlifting.
I thought mendy did 715 raw? i dont know how to count those plates Am I wrong here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bu9csQC45c

raw or not thats impressive no matter how you put it at his weight that is granted some guys on this forum are complaining about it, but you guys know you probably outweigh him over 100lbs and still complain because you bench less....congrats man hope you do good at arnold.

Last edited:
LiftTillIDie said:
In other words you only have to lock it out.
not exactly lol . its not like the shirt does all the work up to the top and then suddenly quits working and you just lock it out . the shirt kicks ass at the chest but fades quickly as the bar goes up . and even at the chest where the shirt is really helping you to hold the weight up it takes serious strength to control that much weight and keep it in the groove , if you dont you can eat a 500 pound sandwich lol .

jocktheglide said:
I thought mendy did 715 raw? i dont know how to count those plates Am I wrong here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bu9csQC45c

raw or not thats impressive no matter how you put it at his weight that is granted some guys on this forum are complaining about it, but you guys know you probably outweigh him over 100lbs and still complain because you bench less....congrats man hope you do good at arnold.

Mendy did do 715 raw.

I'm sure he appreciates the congrads. He's not a big intrernet talker but he watches.

DADAWG said:
not exactly lol . its not like the shirt does all the work up to the top and then suddenly quits working and you just lock it out . the shirt kicks ass at the chest but fades quickly as the bar goes up . and even at the chest where the shirt is really helping you to hold the weight up it takes serious strength to control that much weight and keep it in the groove , if you dont you can eat a 500 pound sandwich lol .

A 605 pound sandwich http://www.ironasylumgym.com/videos/080506jamesfarina.wmv

Back