accutane and donating blood

TheDrGreenThumb

So I started an accutane regimen of 20 mg per day to get rid of horrible back and chest acne which I got shortly after restarting TRT. I tried everything else first, and have been losing this battle for 2 plus years, so I took the plunge, am aware of the risks, and am monitoring bloods monthly with a dermatologist.

My question is...how does one combat the blood thickening side effects of TRT if one cannot donate? ( accutane is on the absolutely don't donate list). I tried myself using an23 gauge needle, but can't get the blood to flow for more than a few minutes, then it stops. When I used to donate, I'd fill a bag in five minutes!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You can monitor your HCT and have your doctor order a therapeutic phlebotomy if necessary.

Same place will do it, but they may charge you.

You could also donate and then call when you get home and tell them you just realized that your med was on the list.
I don't know if that would work more than once, however.

You could take up ultramarathon running and lose your RBCs to footstrike hemolysis.

I've seen studies that naringin (substance in grapefruit peel) can help bring down HCT, but have not verified.
Here's the study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3243695

I've been meaning to try it.

Last edited:
You can monitor your HCT and have your doctor order a therapeutic phlebotomy if necessary.

Same place will do it, but they may charge you.

You could also donate and then call when you get home and tell them you just realized that your med was on the list.
I don't know if that would work more than once, however.

You could take up ultramarathon running and lose your RBCs to footstrike hemolysis.

I've seen studies that naringin (substance in grapefruit peel) can help bring down HCT, but have not verified.
Here's the study:

Ingestion of grapefruit lowers elevated hematocrits in human subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

I've been meaning to try it.

Grapefruit peel is sprayed witj heavy insecticide/pesticides. .
lol

"Footstrike Hemolysis"? look up the complications with that disorder and see if it sounds like a walk in the park for anyone.

They use a 14-17 gauge needle for donations, that's why you saw such a slow draw OP. I'd seek either a therapeutic phlebotomy or buy some kits to do it yourself. Just please research how it's done safely before attempting to do so.

So I started an accutane regimen of 20 mg per day to get rid of horrible back and chest acne which I got shortly after restarting TRT. I tried everything else first, and have been losing this battle for 2 plus years, so I took the plunge, am aware of the risks, and am monitoring bloods monthly with a dermatologist.

My question is...how does one combat the blood thickening side effects of TRT if one cannot donate? ( accutane is on the absolutely don't donate list). I tried myself using an23 gauge needle, but can't get the blood to flow for more than a few minutes, then it stops. When I used to donate, I'd fill a bag in five minutes!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I asked the nurse what size the needle they use is, she said 16g. Your needle is way too small for effective blood flow...you need a harpoon.

Back